Perspectives in Multiphasic Osteochondral Tissue Engineering
Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Special Issue: A New Age of Regenerative Medicine: Fusion of Tissue Engineering and Stem Cell Research
Volume 297, Issue 1, pages 26–35, January 2014
How to Cite
Jeon, J. E., Vaquette, C., Klein, T. J. and Hutmacher, D. W. (2014), Perspectives in Multiphasic Osteochondral Tissue Engineering. Anat Rec, 297: 26–35. doi: 10.1002/ar.22795
- Issue online: 16 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 SEP 2013
- 2010. Chitosan scaffolds for osteochondral tissue regeneration. J Biomed Mater Res A 95:1132–1141. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Novel hyaluronate-atelocollagen/beta-TCP-hydroxyapatite biphasic scaffold for the repair of osteochondral defects in rabbits. Tissue Eng Part A 15:2595–2604. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. In vivo outcomes of tissue-engineered osteochondral grafts. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 93:164–174. , , , , , , .
- 2003. A prospective, randomised comparison of autologous chondrocyte implantation versus mosaicplasty for osteochondral defects in the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:223–230. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. FT-IR imaging of native and tissue-engineered bone and cartilage. Biomaterials 28:2465–2478. , .
- 1998. Articular cartilage: tissue design and chondrocyte-matrix interactions. Instr Course Lect 47:477–486. , .
- 2012. Osteochondral regeneration by a bilayered construct in a cell-free or cell-based approach. Biotechnol Lett 34:1151–1157. , , , , .
- 2011. Tissue engineering-based cartilage repair with mesenchymal stem cells in a porcine model. J Orthop Res 29:1874–1880. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. The combined effects of continuous passive motion treatment and acellular PLGA implants on osteochondral regeneration in the rabbit. Biomaterials 33:3153–3163. , , , , , .
- 2009. The repair of osteochondral defects using baculovirus-mediated gene transfer with de-differentiated chondrocytes in bioreactor culture. Biomaterials 30:674–681. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Simultaneous regeneration of articular cartilage and subchondral bone in vivo using MSCs induced by a spatially controlled gene delivery system in bilayered integrated scaffolds. Biomaterials 32:4793–4805. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011b. Evaluating osteochondral defect repair potential of autologous rabbit bone marrow cells on type II collagen scaffold. Cytotechnology 63:13–23. , , , .
- 2010. Comparison of articular cartilage repair by autologous chondrocytes with and without in vitro cultivation. Tissue Eng Part C 16:291–300. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Repair of articular cartilage defects with tissue-engineered osteochondral composites in pigs. J Biosci Bioeng 111:493–500. , , , , , , , .
- Construction of tissue-engineered osteochondral composites and repair of large joint defects in rabbit. J Tissue Eng Regen Med, in press. , , , , .
- 2010. Osteochondral interface tissue engineering using macroscopic gradients of bioactive signals. Ann Biomed Eng 38:2167–2182. , , , , .
- 2012. Osteochondral interface regeneration of the rabbit knee with macroscopic gradients of bioactive signals. J Biomed Mater Res Part A 100:162–170. , , , , , .
- 2003. Hydrogels for tissue engineering: scaffold design variables and applications. Biomaterials 24:4337–4351. , .
- 2005. On the influence of mechanical conditions in osteochondral defect healing. J Biomech 38:843–851. , , , , , .
- 2013. Tissue-engineered constructs: the effect of scaffold architecture in osteochondral repair. J Tissue Eng Regen Med 7:751–756. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Autologous engineering of cartilage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:3418–3423. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Inhibition of integrative cartilage repair by proteoglycan 4 in synovial fluid. Arthritis Rheum 52:1091–1099. , , , , , .
- 2009. Enhanced tissue integration during cartilage repair in vitro can be achieved by inhibiting chondrocyte death at the wound edge. Tissue Eng Part A 15:1739–1749. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Degradable polyester scaffolds with controlled surface chemistry combining minimal protein adsorption with specific bioactivation. Nat Mater 10:67–73. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Repair of osteochondral defects with biodegradable hydrogel composites encapsulating marrow mesenchymal stem cells in a rabbit model. Acta Biomater 6:39–47. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Importance of depth-wise distribution of collagen and proteoglycans in articular cartilage–a 3D finite element study of stresses and strains in human knee joint. J Biomech 46:1184–1192. , , , , .
- 2010. Clinical experiences with autologous osteochondral mosaicplasty in an athletic population: a 17-year prospective multicenter study. Am J Sports Med 38:1125–1133. , , , , , .
- 2005. Fabrication of collagen-coated biodegradable polymer nanofiber mesh and its potential for endothelial cells growth. Biomaterials 26:7606–7615. , , , , .
- 2011. In vitro and in vivo characterization of nonbiomedical- and biomedical-grade alginates for articular chondrocyte transplantation. Tissue Eng Part C Methods 17:829–842. , , , , , , .
- 2010. The evaluation of a biphasic osteochondral implant coupled with an electrospun membrane in a large animal model. Tissue Eng Part A 16:1123–1141. , , , , .
- 2013. Oligo[poly(ethylene glycol)fumarate] hydrogel enhances osteochondral repair in porcine femoral condyle defects. Clin Orthop Relat Res 471:1174–1185. , , , , .
- 2003. Anatomically shaped osteochondral constructs for articular cartilage repair. J Biomech 36:1853–1864. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Scaffolds in tissue engineering bone and cartilage. Biomaterials 21:2529–2543. .
- 2010. A hyaluronate-atelocollagen/beta-tricalcium phosphate-hydroxyapatite biphasic scaffold for the repair of osteochondral defects: a porcine study. Tissue Eng Part A 16:1189–1200. , , , , .
- 2011. The maturity of tissue-engineered cartilage in vitro affects the repairability for osteochondral defect. Tissue Eng Part A 17:3057–3065. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Maturation of collagen fibril network structure in tibial and femoral cartilage of rabbits. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 18:406–415. , , , , , .
- 2012. Local BMP-7 release from a PLGA scaffolding-matrix for the repair of osteochondral defects in rabbits. J Control Release 162:485–491. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The osteochondral junction and its repair via bi-phasic tissue engineering scaffolds. Tissue Eng Part B Rev 15:55–73. , .
- 2013. The effect of tissue-engineered cartilage biomechanical and biochemical properties on its post-implantation mechanical behavior. Biomech Model Mechanobiol 12:43–54. , , , .
- 2003. Experimental model for cartilage tissue engineering to regenerate the zonal organization of articular cartilage. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 11:653–664. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Specimen preparation and quantification of collagen birefringence in unstained sections of articular cartilage using image analysis and polarizing light microscopy. Histochem J 29:317–327. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Tissue engineering of articular cartilage with biomimetic zones. Tissue Eng Part B 15:143–157. , , , .
- 2011. Novel nano-composite multilayered biomaterial for osteochondral regeneration: a pilot clinical trial. Am J Sports Med 39:1180–1190. , , , , , .
- 2010a. Platelet autologous growth factors decrease the osteochondral regeneration capability of a collagen-hydroxyapatite scaffold in a sheep model. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:220. , , , , , , , .
- 2010b. Novel nanostructured scaffold for osteochondral regeneration: pilot study in horses. J Tissue Eng Regen Med 4:300–308. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Biomechanical properties of knee articular cartilage. Biorheology 40:133–140. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Platelet-rich plasma loaded hydrogel scaffold enhances chondrogenic differentiation and maturation with up-regulation of CB1 and CB2. J Control Release 159:332–337. , , , , .
- 2010. A novel MSC-seeded triphasic construct for the repair of osteochondral defects. J Orthop Res 28:1586–1599. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Osteochondral tissue engineering. J Biomech 40:750–765. , , , , .
- 2010. Repair of large osteochondral defects in rabbits using porous hydroxyapatite/collagen (HAp/Col) and fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2). J Orthop Res 28:677–686. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Microporous calcium phosphate ceramics as tissue engineering scaffolds for the repair of osteochondral defects: biomechanical results. Acta Biomater 9:4845–4855. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Effect of self-assembling peptide, chondrogenic factors, and bone marrow-derived stromal cells on osteochondral repair. Osteoarthr Cartil 18:1608–1619. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Influence of in vitro maturation of engineered cartilage on the outcome of osteochondral repair in a goat model. Eur Cell Mater 23:222–236. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Regional variations of collagen orientation in normal and diseased articular cartilage and subchondral bone determined using small angle X-ray scattering (SAXS). Osteoarthr Cartil 15:682–687. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Continuous gradients of material composition and growth factors for effective regeneration of the osteochondral interface. Tissue Eng Part A 17:2845–2855. , , , , , .
- 2010. Porous tantalum and poly-epsilon-caprolactone biocomposites for osteochondral defect repair: preliminary studies in rabbits. J Orthop Res 28:141–148. , , , , , , , .
- 2013. The composition of engineered cartilage at the time of implantation determines the likelihood of regenerating tissue with a normal collagen architecture. Tissue Eng Part A 19:824–833. , .
- 2010. Passaged adult chondrocytes can form engineered cartilage with functional mechanical properties: a canine model. Tissue Eng Part A 16:1041–1051. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Engineering articular cartilage with spatially-varying matrix composition and mechanical properties from a single stem cell population using a multi-layered hydrogel. Biomaterials 32:6946–6952. , , , .
- 2008. Bilayered scaffolds for osteochondral tissue engineering. Tissue Eng Part B 14:447–464. , .
- 2009. Variation of mesenchymal cells in polylactic acid scaffold in an osteochondral repair model. Tissue Eng Part C 15:595–604. , , , , .
- 2009. Induction of cartilage integration by a chondrocyte/collagen-scaffold implant. Biomaterials 30:4277–4286. , , , , .
- 2012. The development of the collagen fibre network in tissue-engineered cartilage constructs in vivo. Engineered cartilage reorganises fibre network. Eur Cell Mater 23:209–221. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Donor-site morbidity after osteochondral autologous transplantation for lesions of the talus. J Bone Joint Surg Am Vol 91:1683–1688. , , , , , .
- 2009. Repair of full-thickness femoral condyle cartilage defects using allogeneic synovial cell-engineered tissue constructs. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 17:714–722. , , , .
- 2010. Failure of xenoimplantation using porcine synovium-derived stem cell-based cartilage tissue constructs for the repair of rabbit osteochondral defects. J Orthop Res 28:1064–1070. , , , .
- 2001. Composition and structure of articular cartilage: a template for tissue repair. Clin Orthop Relat Res 391:S26–33. , , , , , .
- 2012. Simultaneous regeneration of articular cartilage and subchondral bone induced by spatially presented TGF-beta and BMP-4 in a bilayer affinity binding system. Acta Biomater 8:3283–3293. , , , , .
- Repair of an osteochondral defect by sustained delivery of BMP-2 or TGFbeta1 from a bilayered alginate-PLGA scaffold. J Tissue Eng Regen Med, in press. , , , , , .
- 2013a. Controlled release strategies for bone, cartilage, and osteochondral engineering--Part I: recapitulation of native tissue healing and variables for the design of delivery systems. Tissue Eng Part B Rev 19:308–326. , , , .
- 2013b. Controlled release strategies for bone, cartilage, and osteochondral engineering–Part II: challenges on the evolution from single to multiple bioactive factor delivery. Tissue Eng Part B Rev 19:327–352. , , , .
- 2012. Critical-size defect induces unicompartmental osteoarthritis in a stable ovine knee. J Orthop Res 30:214–220. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Depth-dependent confined compression modulus of full-thickness bovine articular cartilage. J Orthop Res 15:499–506. , , , .
- 2013. Engineering osteochondral constructs through spatial regulation of endochondral ossification. Acta Biomater 9:5484–5492. , , , .
- 2008. Role of cartilage collagen fibrils networks in knee joint biomechanics under compression. J Biomech 41:3340–3348. , , .
- 2007. Repair and regeneration of osteochondral defects in the articular joints. Biomol Eng 24:489–495. , , , .
- 2012. Hyaluronic acid-binding scaffold for articular cartilage repair. Tissue Eng Part A 18:2497–2506. , , , , , , .
- 2010. The restoration of full-thickness cartilage defects with BMSCs and TGF-beta 1 loaded PLGA/fibrin gel constructs. Biomaterials 31:8964–8973. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007 Microfracture: indications, technique, and results. Instr Course Lect 56:419–428. , .
- 2010. Articular cartilage tissue engineering based on a mechano-active scaffold made of poly(L-lactide-co-epsilon-caprolactone): in vivo performance in adult rabbits. J Biomed Mater Res Part B Appl Biomater 94:80–88. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Osteochondral repair using porous poly(lactide-co-glycolide)/nano-hydroxyapatite hybrid scaffolds with undifferentiated mesenchymal stem cells in a rat model. J Biomed Mater Res Part A 94:259–270. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Evaluation of an extracellular matrix-derived acellular biphasic scaffold/cell construct in the repair of a large articular high-load-bearing osteochondral defect in a canine model. Chin Med J 124:3930–3938. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. NEL-like molecule-1-modified bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells/poly lactic-co-glycolic acid composite improves repair of large osteochondral defects in mandibular condyle. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 19:743–750. , , , , .
- 2010. Repair of chronic osteochondral defects using predifferentiated mesenchymal stem cells in an ovine model. Am J Sports Med 38:1857–1869. , , , , , , , , .