Yuji Naito and Kevin Rocco contributed equally to this work
Tissue Engineering in the Vasculature
Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Special Issue: A New Age of Regenerative Medicine: Fusion of Tissue Engineering and Stem Cell Research
Volume 297, Issue 1, pages 83–97, January 2014
How to Cite
Naito, Y., Rocco, K., Kurobe, H., Maxfield, M., Breuer, C. and Shinoka, T. (2014), Tissue Engineering in the Vasculature. Anat Rec, 297: 83–97. doi: 10.1002/ar.22838
- Issue online: 16 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 NOV 2013
- 2004. Mesenchymal stem cells and the artery wall. Circ Res 95:671–676. , , .
- 2001. Role of the mannose receptor in the immune response. Curr Mol Med 1:469–474. , .
- 2008. Immune response to biologic scaffold materials. Semin Immunol 20:109–116. , .
- 1994. Smooth muscle cell migration and matrix metalloproteinase expression after arterial injury in the rat. Circ Res 75:539–545. , , , , .
- 2008. Isolation of human mesenchymal stem cells from bone and adipose tissue. Methods Cell Biol 86:257–278. , , .
- 2009. Giant cell formation and function. Curr Opin Hematol 16:53–57. , .
- 2003. Effects of adsorbed heat labile serum proteins and fibrinogen on adhesion and apoptosis of monocytes/macrophages on biomaterials. J Mater Sci Mater Med 14:671–675. , , .
- 2007. Elastin as a biomaterial for tissue engineering. Biomaterials 28:4378–4398. Epub 2007 Jul 4312. , , , .
- 2011. Readily available tissue-engineered vascular grafts. Sci Transl Med 3:68ra69. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Endothelial extracellular matrix: biosynthesis, remodeling, and functions during vascular morphogenesis and neovessel stabilization. Circ Res 97:1093–1107. , .
- 1997. Interleukin-13 induces human monocyte/macrophage fusion and macrophage mannose receptor expression. J Immunol 158:3385–3390. , , , , .
- 2010. Cell sheet engineering: a unique nanotechnology for scaffold-free tissue reconstruction with clinical applications in regenerative medicine. J Intern Med 267:54–70. , , .
- 2005. Chemokines: key players in innate and adaptive immunity. J Invest Dermatol 125:615–628. , , .
- 2000. Remodeling of carotid artery is associated with increased expression of matrix metalloproteinases in mouse blood flow cessation model. Circulation 102:2861–2866. , , , , .
- 1993. Tissue response and in vivo degradation of selected polyhydroxyacids: polylactides (PLA), poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) (PHB), and poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) (PHB/VA). J Biomed Mater Res 27:1135–1148. , , , , .
- 2007. Electrospinning: a fascinating method for the preparation of ultrathin fibers. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 46:5670–5703. , .
- 1988. Biomaterials and biomedical devices. Science 242:885–892. , .
- 1971. The immunologic release of constituents from neutrophil leukocytes. II. Mechanisms of release during phagocytosis, and adherence to nonphagocytosable surfaces. J Immunol 107:1547–1557. .
- 2012a. Evaluation of the use of an induced puripotent stem cell sheet for the construction of tissue-engineered vascular grafts. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 143:696–703. , , , , , , .
- 2012b. Evaluation of the use of an induced puripotent stem cell sheet for the construction of tissue-engineered vascular grafts. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 143:696–703. Epub 2012 Jan 2012. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Late-term results of tissue-engineered vascular grafts in humans. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 139:431–436, 436 e431–e432. , , , , , , .
- 2011. A critical role for macrophages in neovessel formation and the development of stenosis in tissue-engineered vascular grafts. FASEB J 24:24. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Activation and control of complement, inflammation, and infection associated with the use of biomedical polymers. ASAIO J 46:S53–S62. .
- 2000. Adsorbed serum proteins responsible for surface dependent human macrophage behavior. J Biomed Mater Res 49:435–447. , .
- 2002. Pluripotency of mesenchymal stem cells derived from adult marrow. Nature 418:41–49. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Self-complementary peptides for the formation of collagen-like triple helical supramolecules. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 15:5230–5233. Epub 2005 Sep 5226. , , , .
- 2008. Electrospun nanofiber scaffolds: engineering soft tissues. Biomed Mater 3:034002. , , , .
- 2010. Unique multipotent cells in adult human mesenchymal cell populations. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107:8639–8643. Epub 2010 Apr 8626. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Human circulating CD14+ monocytes as a source of progenitors that exhibit mesenchymal cell differentiation. J Leukoc Biol 74:833–845. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Tissue engineering. Science 260:920–926. , .
- 2002. Endothelial cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99:4391–4396. , , , , .
- 2008. Adenoviral expression of vascular endothelial growth factor splice variants differentially regulate bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. J Cell Physiol 216:458–468. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Experience with cryopreserved cadaveric femoral vein allografts used for hemodialysis access. Ann Vasc Surg 18:453–458. , , , .
- 2006. Evaluation of tissue-engineered vascular autografts. Tissue Eng 12:3075–3083. , , , , , , .
- 2003. First evidence that bone marrow cells contribute to the construction of tissue-engineered vascular autografts in vivo. Circulation 108:1729–1734. , , , , .
- 2005. Use of embryonic stem cell-derived endothelial cells as a cell source to generate vessel structures in vitro. Tissue Eng 11:497–505. , , .
- 1994. Extracellular matrix assembly and structure. San Diego, CA: Academic Press. , .
- 2000. M-1/M-2 macrophages and the Th1/Th2 paradigm. J Immunol 164:6166–6173. , , , , .
- 2008. Undifferentiated mesenchymal stem cells seeded on a vascular prosthesis contribute to the restoration of a physiologic vascular wall. J Vasc Surg 47:1313–1321. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Successful clinical application of tissue-engineered graft for extracardiac Fontan operation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 125:419–420. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Vascular tissue engineering: towards the next generation vascular grafts. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 63:312–323. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Characterization of the natural history of extracellular matrix production in tissue-engineered vascular grafts during neovessel formation. Cells Tissues Organs 195:60–72. doi: 10.1159/000331405. Epub 000332011 Oct 000331412. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Behavior of human mesenchymal stem cells in fibrin-based vascular tissue engineering constructs. Ann Biomed Eng 38:649–657. , , , , .
- 1995. Mechanism of cell detachment from temperature-modulated, hydrophilic-hydrophobic polymer surfaces. Biomaterials 16:297–303. , , , , .
- 2008. Generation of mouse induced pluripotent stem cells without viral vectors. Science 322:949–953. , , , , .
- 2000. Biodegradable polymers. In: Lanza RT, Langer R, Vacanti JP, editors. Principle of tissue engineering, 2nd ed. San Diego, CA: Academic Press. p 263–277. , .
- 2006. Self-assembly of peptide-amphiphile nanofibers: the roles of hydrogen bonding and amphiphilic packing. J Am Chem Soc 128:7291–7298. , , .
- 2009. ECM-based materials in cardiovascular applications: inherent healing potential and augmentation of native regenerative processes. Int J Mol Sci 10:4375–4417. , , , , , , .
- 1981. Biodegradable drug delivery systems based on aliphatic polyesters: application to contraceptives and narcotic antagonists. NIDA Res Monogr 28:232–253. , , .
- 2010. Tissue-engineered vascular grafts transform into mature blood vessels via an inflammation-mediated process of vascular remodeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107:4669–4674. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Effects of eight growth factors on the differentiation of cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97:11307–11312. , , , , .
- 2003. Tissue engineering of blood vessels with endothelial cells differentiated from mouse embryonic stem cells. Cell Res 13:335–341. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Transplantation of a tissue-engineered pulmonary artery. N Engl J Med 344:532–533. , , .
- 2005. Midterm clinical result of tissue-engineered vascular autografts seeded with autologous bone marrow cells. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:1330–1338. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Creation of viable pulmonary artery autografts through tissue engineering. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 115:536–545; discussion 545–536. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Review: advances in vascular tissue engineering using protein-based biomaterials. Tissue Eng 13:2601–2613. , , .
- 2007. Induction of pluripotent stem cells from adult human fibroblasts by defined factors. Cell 131:861–872. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular determinants of acute inflammatory responses to biomaterials. J Clin Invest 97:1329–1334. , , , .
- 1998. Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocysts. Science 282:1145–1147. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Functional neointima characterization of vascular prostheses in human. Ann Thorac Surg 77:864–868. , , , .
- 2004. Mesenchymal stem/progenitor cells in human umbilical cord blood as support for ex vivo expansion of CD34(+) hematopoietic stem cells and for chondrogenic differentiation. Haematologica 89:837–844. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Embryonic stem cell-derived cystic embryoid bodies form vascular channels: an in vitro model of blood vessel development. Development 114:303–316. , , .
- 2001. Tissue-engineered vascular autograft: inferior vena cava replacement in a dog model. Tissue Eng 7:429–439. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Flk1-positive cells derived from embryonic stem cells serve as vascular progenitors. Nature 408:92–96. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A novel small-diameter vascular graft: in vivo behavior of biodegradable three-layered tubular scaffolds. Biotechnol Bioeng 99:1007–1015. , , , , .