Characterization of Nasal Cavity-Associated Lymphoid Tissue in Ducks
Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2014
Copyright © 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 297, Issue 5, pages 916–924, May 2014
How to Cite
Kang, H., Yan, M., Yu, Q. and Yang, Q. (2014), Characterization of Nasal Cavity-Associated Lymphoid Tissue in Ducks. Anat Rec, 297: 916–924. doi: 10.1002/ar.22888
- Issue online: 22 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 30 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 FEB 2013
- National Science Grant of China . Grant Number: 31172302
- Jiangsu province . Grant Number: BE200830155
- 2000. A review of avian influenza in different bird species. Vet Microbiol 74:3–13. .
- 1998. IgA antibody-forming cell responses in the nasal-associated lymphoid tissue of mice vaccinated by intranasal, intravenous and/or subcutaneous administration. Vaccine 16:1257–1262. , , , .
- 2005. Assessment of hepatic reserve prior to hepatic resection. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 12:10–15. , .
- 2005. Bronchus- and nasal-associated lymphoid tissues. Immunol Rev 206:22–31. , .
- 2004. Let's go mucosal: communication on slippery ground. Trends Immunol 25:570–577. , .
- 2011. The tonsils revisited: review of the anatomical localization and histological characteristics of the tonsils of domestic and laboratory animals. Clin Dev Immunol 2011:472460. , , , .
- 2010. NALT (nasal cavity-associated lymphoid tissue) in the rabbit. Vet Immunol Immunop 133:212–218. , , , .
- 2004. Nasal associated lymphoid tissue & M cells, a window to persistent streptococcal infections. Ind J Med Res 119 Suppl:57–60. , , .
- FAO. 2010. FAOSTAT Search Data. In. http://faostat3.fao.org/home/index.html#SEARCH_DATA: FAO.
- 2000. Evidence of M cells as portals of entry for antigens in the nasopharyngeal lymphoid tissue of humans. Virchows Archiv 436:560–566. .
- 2004. The role of M cells of human nasopharyngeal lymphoid tissue in influenza virus sampling. Virchows Archiv 444:36–42. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. M cells in Peyer's patches of the intestine. Intl Rev Cytol 167:91–159. , , .
- 2003. Species differences in the structure and function of the immune system. Toxicology 188:49–71. .
- 1989. An immunohistochemical study on the postnatal development of rat nasal-associated lymphoid tissue (NALT). Cell Tissue Res 256:431–438. , , , .
- 1991. Comparative aspects of nasal airway anatomy: relevance to inhalation toxicology. Toxicol Pathol 19:321–336. .
- 1998. Intranasal immunization with polymer-grafted microparticles activates the nasal-associated lymphoid tissue and draining lymph nodes. Immunology 93:249–256. , , , .
- 1997. Comparison of murine nasal-associated lymphoid tissue and Peyer's patches. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 156:1256–1262. , , , , .
- 1998. Bronchus-associated lymphoid tissue (BALT) and larynx-associated lymphoid tissue (LALT) are found at different frequencies in children, adolescents and adults. Scand J Immunol 47:159–162. , , , .
- 2003. Mucosal immunization with DNA vaccines. Methods 31:217–224. , , , .
- 2009. Physicochemical and immunological characterization of N,N,N-trimethyl chitosan-coated whole inactivated influenza virus vaccine for intranasal administration. Pharm Res-Dord 26:1353–1364. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Effect of intranasal immunization with inactivated avian influenza virus on local and systemic immune responses in ducks. Poultry Sci 91:1074–1080. , , , .
- 2013. Characterization of chicken nasal-associated lymphoid tissue in uptake of absorbing particles and inactivated avian influenza virus. PLOS ONE 8:e84097. , , , .
- 1984. M-cells in the epithelium of the nasopharyngeal tonsil. Rhinology 22:201–210. , .
- 2009. Ducks: the “Trojan horses” of H5N1 influenza. Influenza Other Respir Viruses 3:121–128. , , , .
- 2004. NALT- versus Peyer's-patch-mediated mucosal immunity. Nat Rev Immunol 4:699–710. , .
- 1992. Molecular and cellular basis of immune protection of mucosal surfaces. Physiol Rev 72:853–879. , .
- 1992. The role of nasopharyngeal lymphoid tissue. Immunol Today 13:219–224. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Nasal-associated lymphoid tissue is a site of long-term virus-specific antibody production following respiratory virus infection of mice. J Virol 75:5416–5420. , , .
- 1974. Lymphoid tissue in the nasal mucosa of primates, with particular reference to intraepithelial lymphocytes. J Anat 117:249–259. , .
- 1996. Epithelial M cells: gateways for mucosal infection and immunization. Cell 86:345–348. , , .
- 2002. New horizons-alternative routes for insulin therapy. Nat Rev Drug Discov 1:529–540. .
- 2003. Membranous cells in nasal-associated lymphoid tissue: a portal of entry for the respiratory mucosal pathogen group A streptococcus. J Immunol 171:2532–2537. , , , .
- 2009. Spray-dried powders of starch and crosslinked poly(acrylic acid) as carriers for nasal delivery of inactivated influenza vaccine. Vaccine 27:1279–1286. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Characterization of a B220+ lymphoid cell subpopulation with immune modulatory functions in nasal-associated lymphoid tissues. J Immunol 174:1317–1324. , , , , , .
- 2012. The mucosal immune system of the respiratory tract. Curr Opin Virol 2:225–232. , .
- 2013. Avian Immunology, 2nd ed: Elsevier. , , .
- 2008. Rational design of nasal vaccines. J Drug Target 16:1–17. , , .
- 2004. Development of T lymphocytes in the nasal-associated lymphoid tissue (NALT) from growing Wistar rats. Clin Dev Immunol 11:29–34. , .
- 1989. Nasal lymphoid tissue in the rat. Cell Tissue Res 255:193–198. , , , .
- 1998. Antibody-forming cells in the nasal-associated lymphoid tissue during primary influenza virus infection. J Gen Virol 79:291–299. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Surveillance of influenza A virus in migratory waterfowl in northern Europe. Emerg Infect Dis 13:404–411. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Cytokine and Toll-like receptor mRNAs in the nasal-associated lymphoid tissues of cattle during foot-and-mouth disease virus infection. J Comp Pathol 134:56–62. , , , , , .
- 2002. Nasal-associated lymphoid tissue is a mucosal inductive site for virus-specific humoral and cellular immune responses. J Immunol 168:1796–1803. , , , , .