Intracortical Remodeling Parameters Are Associated With Measures of Bone Robustness
Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2014
© 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 297, Issue 10, pages 1817–1828, October 2014
How to Cite
Goldman, H. M., Hampson, N. A., Guth, J. J., Lin, D. and Jepsen, K. J. (2014), Intracortical Remodeling Parameters Are Associated With Measures of Bone Robustness. Anat Rec, 297: 1817–1828. doi: 10.1002/ar.22962
- Issue online: 16 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 5 FEB 2014
- US Department of Defense . Grant Number: (DoD) W81XWH-09-2-0113 and W81XWH-07-C-0097
- NIH . Grant Number: AR44927
- 1998. Muscle geometry. J Physiol 512 (Pt 2):315. .
- 2001. Super-osteons (remodeling clusters) in the cortex of the femoral shaft: influence of age and gender. Anat Rec 264:378–386. , , , , , .
- 2013. Fracture risk and height: an association partly accounted for by cortical porosity of relatively thinner cortices. J Bone Miner Res 28:2017–2026. , , , , , .
- 1981. Effect of bone strain on cortical bone structure in macaques (Macaca mulatta). J Morphol 167:1–12. , .
- 2009. The relation of femoral osteon geometry to age, sex, height and weight. Bone 45:77–83. , , , .
- 1990. Experimental stress fractures of the tibia. Biological and mechanical aetiology in rabbits. J Bone Joint Surg Br 72:370–375. , , , , , .
- 2006. Cortical bone remodeling rates in a sample of African American and European American descent groups from the American Midwest: comparisons of age and sex in ribs. Am J Phys Anthropol 130:214–226. , , .
- 2008. FTIRI microspectroscopy and micromechanical testing reveal intra-species variation in mouse bone mineral composition and matrix maturity. Calcif Tissue Int 83:342–353. , , , , , .
- 1964. Some effects of ageing in human Haversian systems. J Anat 98:69–75. .
- 1979. Mechanical properties of bone tissues with greatly differing functions. J Biomech 12:313–319. .
- 1985. The thickness of the walls of tubular bones. J Zool London 206:453–468. , .
- 2003. An investigation of the interactions between lower-limb bone morphology, limb inertial properties and limb dynamics. J Biomech 36:913–919. , , , .
- 1998. Local bone deformation at two predominant sites for stress fractures of the tibia: an in vivo study. Foot Ankle Int 19:479–484. , , , , .
- 1962. A study of the post-natal growth and remodeling of bone. Am J Anat 110:79–101. .
- 1976. The remodeling of bone. Yearbook Phys Anthropol 20:19–34. .
- 2012. The inter-individual variation in femoral neck width is associated with the acquisition of predictable sets of morphological and tissue-quality traits and differential bone loss patterns. J Bone Miner Res 27:1501–1510. , , , , , , , .
- 1966. Periosteal appositional bone growth from age two to age seventy in man. Anat Rec 154:573–578. , .
- 1980. Patterns of microscopic bone remodeling in three aboriginal American populations. The Hague: Houton. .
- 1989. Histomorphometric analysis of bone in metabolic bone disease. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 18:919–954. , , , .
- 1997. Age-related changes in cortical porosity of the midshaft of the human femur. J Anat 191 (Pt 3):407–416. , , .
- 1969. Tetracycline-based histological analysis of bone remodeling. Calcif Tissue Res 3:211–237. .
- 1987. Bone "mass" and the "mechanostat": a proposal. Anat Rec 219:1–9. .
- 2003a. Intrapopulation variability in mineralization density at the human femoral mid-shaft. J Anat 203:243–255. , , , , .
- 2003b. Preferred collagen fiber orientation in the human mid-shaft femur. Anat Rec 272A:434–445. , , , .
- 2009. Ontogenetic patterning of cortical bone microstructure and geometry at the human mid-shaft femur. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 292:48–64. , , , , .
- 2005. Relationships among microstructural properties of bone at the human midshaft femur. J Anat 206:127–139. , , , .
- 2006. Increased osteogenic response to exercise in metaphyseal versus diaphyseal cortical bone. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 6:258–263. , , , .
- 2008. How can bone turnover modify bone strength independent of bone mass? Bone 42:1014–1020. .
- 1998. Analysis of Vertebrate Structure. 5th ed. New York: Wiley. , .
- 1999. Differential effect of treadmill exercise on three cancellous bone sites in the young growing rat. Bone 24:163–169. , , .
- 1998. Distribution of mineralization indices of modeling and remodeling over eight months in middiaphyseal cross sections of femurs from adult swine. Anat Rec 250:136–145. , .
- 2011. Biological constraints that limit compensation of a common skeletal trait variant lead to inequivalence of tibial function among healthy young adults. J Bone Miner Res 26:2872–2875. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Variation in tibial functionality and fracture susceptibility among healthy, young adults arises from the acquisition of biologically distinct sets of traits. J Bone Miner Res 28:1290–1300. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Genetic randomization reveals functional relationships among morphologic and tissue-quality traits that contribute to bone strength and fragility. Mamm Genome 18:492–507. , , , , , , .
- 1966. Studies of Haversian systems in man and some animals. J Anat 100:857–864. .
- 2012. Activation of resorption in fatigue-loaded bone involves both apoptosis and active pro-osteoclastogenic signaling by distinct osteocyte populations. Bone 50:1115–1122. , , , , , .
- 1965. The microscopic determination of age in human bone. Am J Phys Anthropol 23:149–163. .
- 1986. Porosity-geometry interaction in the conservation of bone strength. J Biomech 19:257–258. .
- 2003. Optimization of bone growth and remodeling in response to loading in tapered mammalian limbs. J Exp Biol 206:3125–3138. , , , , .
- 2007. Ontogenetic relationships between in vivo strain environment, bone histomorphometry and growth in the goat radius. J Anat 210:272–293. .
- 1980. Studies of skeletal remodeling in aging men. Clin Orthop Relat Res:268–282. , , .
- 1995. Evidence of strain-mode-related cortical adaptation in the diaphysis of the horse radius. Bone 17:229–237. , , .
- 2008. Regional variability in secondary remodeling within long bone cortices of catarrhine primates: the influence of bone growth history. J Anat 213:308–324. , , , , .
- 1997. Bone mineral density reflects bone mass but also the degree of mineralization of bone: therapeutic implications. Bone 21:373–377. , .
- 1989. The area moment of inertia of the tibia: a risk factor for stress fractures. J Biomech 22:1243–1248. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Primary hyperparathyroidism and the skeleton. Clin Endocrinol 69:1–19. .
- 2004. The aging of Wolff's "law": ontogeny and responses to mechanical loading in cortical bone. Am J Phys Anthropol Suppl 39:63–99. , .
- 1980. Age changes in the external dimensions of adult bone. Am J Phys Anthropol 52:529–532. .
- 1995. Brief communication: cortical remodeling data are affected by sampling location. Am J Phys Anthropol 96:89–92. , , .
- 2012. Brief communication: the effects of disuse on the mechanical properties of bone: what unloading tells us about the adaptive nature of skeletal tissue. Am J Phys Anthropol 149:599–605. , , , .
- 2002. Nutrition and molecular markers of bone remodelling. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 5:525–531. .
- 2012. Interpretting load history in limb-bone diaphyses: important considerations and their biomechanical foundations. In: Crowder C, Stout S, editors. Bone Histology: An Anthrological Perspective. Boca Raton: CRC Press. p 153–220. .
- 2004. Relationships of loading history and structural and material characteristics of bone: development of the mule deer calcaneus. J Morphol 259:281–307. , , .
- 2013. Secondary osteon size and collagen/lamellar organization ("osteon morphotypes") are not coupled, but potentially adapt independently for local strain mode or magnitude. J Struct Biol 181:95–107. , , , .
- 2009. Interpreting cortical bone adaptation and load history by quantifying osteon morphotypes in circularly polarized light images. Bone 44:392–403. , , , .
- 1997. Biomechanical implications of mineral content and microstructural variations in cortical bone of horse, elk, and sheep calcanei. Anat Rec 249:297–316. , , .
- 2012. Bone remodeling, histomorphology, and histomorphometry. In: Crowder C, Stout S, editors. Bone Histology: An Anthropological Perspective. Bacon Raton, FL: CRC Press. p 1–22. , .
- 1995. Bone remodeling rates and skeletal maturation in three archaeological skeletal populations. Am J Phys Anthropol 98:161–171. , .
- 1994. Brief communication: bone remodeling rates: a test of an algorithm for estimating missing osteons. Am J Phys Anthropol 93:123–129. , .
- 1965. Relation between age and size of osteons in man. Henry Ford Hosp Med Bull 13:25–31. , , .
- 2005. Regional variation of intracortical porosity in the midshaft of the human femur: age and sex differences. J Anat 206:115–125. , , .
- 2006. Increase in pore area, and not pore density, is the main determinant in the development of porosity in human cortical bone. J Anat 209:219–230. , , .
- 1980. Age changes in bone mineralization, cortical thickness, and haversian canal area. Calcif Tissue Int 31:5–11. .
- 1981. Bone mineral-osteon analysis of Yupik-Inupiaq skeletons. Am J Phys Anthropol 55:1–7. , .
- 2008. Biological co-adaptation of morphological and composition traits contributes to mechanical functionality and skeletal fragility. J Bone Miner Res 23:236–246. , , , .
- 2007. Sexual dimorphism affects tibia size and shape but not tissue-level mechanical properties. Bone 40:498–505. , , .
- 2005. Relationship between bone morphology and bone quality in male tibias: implications for stress fracture risk. J Bone Miner Res 20:1372–1380. , , , .
- 1999. Site-specific skeletal effects of exercise: importance of interstitial fluid pressure. Bone 24:161–162. .
- 2006. Interactions between microstructural and geometrical adaptation in human cortical bone. J Orthop Res 24:1489–1498. , .
- 2008a. A unified theory for osteonal and hemi-osteonal remodeling. Bone 42:250–259. , , , , .
- 2008b. Relating osteon diameter to strain. Bone 43:476–482. , , , , .
- 2000. Loss of osteocyte integrity in association with microdamage and bone remodeling after fatigue in vivo. J Bone Miner Res 15:60–67. , , .
- 1994. Histomorphological and geometric properties of human femoral cortex in individuals over 50: implications for histomorphological determination of age-at-death. Am J Hum Biol 6:659–667. , , .
- 2010. Intracortical remodelling and porosity in the distal radius and post-mortem femurs of women: a cross-sectional study. Lancet 375:1729–1736. , , , , , , , .