The Effects of Age on the Morphometry of the Cervical Spinal Cord and Spinal Column in Adult Rats: An MRI-Based Study
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2014
© 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 297, Issue 10, pages 1885–1895, October 2014
How to Cite
Laing, A. C., Brenneman, E. C., Yung, A., liu, J., Kozlowski, P. and Oxland, T. (2014), The Effects of Age on the Morphometry of the Cervical Spinal Cord and Spinal Column in Adult Rats: An MRI-Based Study. Anat Rec, 297: 1885–1895. doi: 10.1002/ar.22995
- Issue online: 16 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 4 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 30 SEP 2013
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC); Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation . Grant Number: LB1-0801-2
- 2012. T1 and proton density at 7 T in patients with multiple sclerosis: an initial study. Magn Reson Imaging 30:19–25. , , , .
- 2010. Neuropathological differences between rats and mice after spinal cord injury. J Magn Reson Imaging 32:836–846. , , .
- 2012. MRI in acute and subacute post-traumatic spinal cord injury: pictorial review. Spinal Cord 50:2–7. , , , , , , .
- 2006. 17 β-estradiol is protective in spinal cord injury in post-and pre-menopausal rats. J Neurotrauma 23:830–852. , , , , , .
- 2007. Contusion, dislocation, and distraction: primary hemorrhage and membrane permeability in distinct mechanisms of spinal cord injury. J Neurosurg Spine 6:255–266. , , , , , .
- 2008. Secondary pathology following contusion, dislocation, and distraction spinal cord injuries. Exp Neurol 212:490–506. , , , , .
- 2009. Modeling spinal cord contusion, dislocation, and distraction: characterization of vertebral clamps, injury severities, and node of Ranvier deformations. J Neurosci Methods 181:6–17. , , , , , .
- 1988. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale: L. Erlbaum Associates. .
- 2007. G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behav Res Methods 39:175–191. , , , .
- 2004. A vertebral dislocation model of spinal cord injury in rats. J Neurotrauma 21:451–458. , , , .
- 2007. Measurement of the vertebral canal dimensions of the neck of the rat with a comparison to the human. Anat Rec Adv Integrat Anat Evol Biol 290:893–899. , .
- 2009. Impact of very old age on the expression of cervical spinal cord cell markers in rats. J Chem Neuroanat 37:98–104. , , , , .
- 2006. Increased oxidative-related mechanisms in the spinal cord injury in old rats. Neuroscience Letters 393:141–146. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Spinal cord injury medicine. 1. Epidemiology and classification. Arch Phys Med Rehabilit 88:S49–S54. , , , , , .
- 2000. The effects of diet, ad Libitum feeding, and moderate and severe dietary restriction on body weight, survival, clinical pathology parameters, and cause of death in control Sprague-Dawley rats. Toxicol Sci 58:195–207. , , , .
- 2003. Changes of cervical spinal cord and cervical spinal canal with age in asymptomatic subjects. Spinal cord 41:159–163. , , , , .
- 1994. Morphometry of the normal cadaveric cervical spinal cord. Spine 19:2077–2081. , , , .
- 2000. Continuously increasing number and incidence of fall-induced, fracture-associated, spinal cord injuries in elderly persons. Arch Int Med 160:2145. .
- 2007. Alarming rise in the number and incidence of fall-induced cervical spine injuries among older adults. J Gerontol Ser A Biol Sci Med Sci 62:180–183. , , , .
- 2011. Effects of advanced age on the morphometry and degenerative state of the cervical spine in a rat model. Anat Rec Adv Integr Anat Evol Biol 294:1326–1336. , , , .
- 1977. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics 33:159–174. , .
- 2013. Severity of spinal cord injury in adult and infant rats after vertebral dislocation depends upon displacement but not speed. J Neurotrauma 30:1361–1373. , , , , .
- 2004. Variation of the cervical spinal Torg ratio with gender and ethnicity*1. Spine J 4:396–401. .
- 1999. Long-term medical complications after traumatic spinal cord injury: a regional model systems analysis. Arch Phys Med Rehabilit 80:1402–1410. , , , .
- 1998. In vivo gradient echo microimaging of rodent spinal cord at 7 T. Magn Reson Med 40:789–791. , , , , , .
- 1983. Magnetic resonance imaging of the spinal cord and canal: potentials and limitations. Am J Roentgenol 141:1147–1152. , , , , , .
- 2006. Trends in spinal cord injury. Accident Anal Prevent 38:71–77. .
- 2006. Epidemiology of traumatic spinal cord injury in Canada. Spine 31:799–805. , , , .
- 2004. Morphometry of cervical segments grey matter in the male rat spinal cord. J Neurosci Methods 139:217–229. , , , , .
- 2007. Spinal cord injury medicine. 6. Economic and societal issues in spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabilit 88:S84–S88. , , , , , .
- 2008. Rapid, postmortem 9.4 T MRI of spinal cord injury: correlation with histology and survival times. J Neurosci Methods 174:157–167. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008a. Myelin pathogenesis and functional deficits following SCI are age-associated. Exp Neurol 213:363–371. , , .
- 2008b. Voluntary running attenuates age-related deficits following SCI. Exp Neurol 210:207–216. , , , .
- 2005. Variation in the human cervical neural canal. Spine J 5:623–631. .
- 1994. Survival, body weight, and spontaneous neoplasms in ad libitum-fed and food-restricted Fischer-344 rats. Toxicol Pathol 22:1–9. , , , .
- 2006. In vivo high-resolution MR imaging of neuropathologic changes in the injured rat spinal cord. Am J Neuroradiol 27:598–604. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Spinal cord contusion models. Prog Brain Res 137:231–255. .
- 1985. Morphology and measurements of the cervical spinal cord in computer-assisted myelography. Neuroradiology 27:399–402. , , , .