Fax: (706) 721-6120
Increased bone mineral density in the femora of GDF8 knockout mice
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 272A, Issue 1, pages 388–391, May 2003
How to Cite
Hamrick, M. W. (2003), Increased bone mineral density in the femora of GDF8 knockout mice. Anat. Rec., 272A: 388–391. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.10044
- Issue published online: 19 MAR 2003
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 DEC 2002
- Manuscript Received: 13 NOV 2002
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: AR47655-01
- 1996. Genetic variability in adult bone density among inbred strains of mice. Bone 18: 397–403. , , , .
- 1997. Muscle strength, bone mass, and age-related bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 12: 1547–1551. .
- 2002. Effects of biomechanical stress on bones in animals. Bone 30: 781–786. , , .
- 2002. Differential expression of members of the transforming growth factor β superfamily during murine fracture healing. J Bone Miner Res 17: 513–520. , , .
- 1993. Effects of weight and body mass index on bone mineral density in men and women. J Bone Miner Res 8: 567–573. , , , .
- 1995. Perspectives of pQCT technology associated to biomechanical studies in skeletal research employing rat models. Bone 17 (suppl): 353S–364S. .
- 1997. Perspective: on our age-related bone loss: insights from a new paradigm. J Bone Miner Res 12: 1539–1546. .
- 1998. Changing concepts in skeletal physiology: Wolff's law, the mechanostat, and the “Utah Paradigm.” Am J Hum Biol 10: 599–605. .
- 1995. Assessing bone quantity by pQCT. Bone 17: 145S–154S. .
- 2000. Femoral morphology and cross- sectional geometry of myostatin deficient mice. Bone 27: 343–349. , , , .
- 2002. Bone mineral content and density in the humerus of myostatin-deficient mice. Calcif Tissue Int 71: 63–68. , , .
- 2001. Mechanical loading of diaphyseal bone in vivo: the strain threshold for an osteogenic response varies with location. J Bone Miner Res 16: 2291–2297. , , , , .
- 1998. Myostatin expression in porcine tissues: tissue specificity and developmental and postnatal regulation. Am J Physiol 275: R1265–R1273. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of myostatin activity and muscle growth. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 9306–9311. , .
- 1997. Double muscling in cattle due to mutations in the myostatin gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 12457–12461. , .
- 1997. Regulation of skeletal muscle mass in mice by a new TGF-β superfamily member. Nature 387: 83–90. , , .
- 2002. Suppression of body fat accumulation in myostatin-deficient mice. J Clin Invest 109: 595–601. , .
- 2001. Low mechanical signals strengthen long bones. Nature 412: 603–604. , , , , .
- 2002. Mechanical strain, induced noninvasively in the high-frequency domain, is anabolic to cancellous bone but not cortical bone. Bone 30: 445–452. , , , , , .
- 2002. The “muscle-bone unit” in children and adolescents. Calcif Tissue Int 70: 405–407. , .
- 2002. Is leptin the link between fat and bone mass. J Bone Miner Res 17: 1563–1569. , .
- 1994. Mechanotransduction in bone: do bone cells act as sensors of fluid flow? FASEB J 8: 875–878. , , .
- 2001. Changes in body composition as determinants of longitudinal changes in bone mineral measures in 8- to 26-year-old female twins. Osteoporos Int 12: 506–515. , , , , , .
- 2002. Induction of cachexia in mice by systematically administered myostatin. Science 296: 1486–1488. , , , , , , , , .