Fax: (414) 456-6517
Cardiac neural crest stem cells
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Special Issue: Stem Cells and the Cardiovascular System
Volume 276A, Issue 1, pages 34–42, January 2004
How to Cite
Sieber-Blum, M. (2004), Cardiac neural crest stem cells. Anat. Rec., 276A: 34–42. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.10132
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 10 JAN 2003
- USPHS. Grant Numbers: NS38500, NS38281
- National Foundation March of Dimes. Grant Number: 1FY00-478
- National Institute of Neurological Disease and Stroke
- 1995. Monoamine transporters: basic biology with clinical implications. Neuroscientist 1: 259–267. .
- 1965. The metabolism, storage, and release of catecholamines. Recent Progr Hormone Res 21: 597–619. .
- 1994. The Trk family of neurotrophin receptors. J Neurobiol 25: 1386–1403. .
- 1988. Clone-forming ability and differentiation potential of migratory neural crest cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85: 5325–5329. , , .
- 2002. Cell-intrinsic differences between stem cells from different regions of the peripheral nervous system regulate the generation of neural diversity. Neuron 35: 643–656. , , , , .
- 1994. The neurocristopathies: a unifying concept of disease arising in neural crest maldevelopment. Hum Pathol 5: 409–429. .
- 1988. Cell lineage analysis reveals multipotency of some avian neural crest cells. Nature 335: 161–164. , .
- 1999. Development of the cardiac conduction system involves recruitment within a multipotent cardiomyogenic lineage. Development 126: 5041–5049. , , , , , .
- 2001. Norepinephrine-induced aortic hyperplasia and extracellular matrix deposition are endothelin-dependent. J Hypertens 19: 1965–1973. , , , , .
- 2000. TrkC signaling is required for retinal progenitor cell proliferation. J Neurosci 20: 2887–2895. , , , , , .
- 2000. Autonomous and growth factor-induced hypertrophy in cultured neonatal mouse cardiac myocytes. Circulation Res 87: 781–788. , , .
- 1996. Identification of an essential nonneuronal function of neurotrophin 3 in mammalian cardiac development. Nat Genet 14: 210–213. , , , .
- 1991. In vitro clonal analysis of progenitor cell patterns in dorsal root and sympathetic ganglia of the quail embryo. Dev Biol 147: 451–459. , , , .
- 2001. Embryonic epinephrine synthesis in the rat heart before innervation: association with pacemaking and conduction tissue development. Circ Res 88: 117–124. , .
- 2000. Serotonin and the 5-HT(2B) receptor in the development of enteric neurons. J Neurosci 20: 294–305. , , .
- 1996. Norepinephrine transporters have channel modes of conduction. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 8671–8676. , , .
- 2002. Ectodermal Wnt function as a neural crest inducer. Science 297: 848–851. , , .
- 1994. Isoforms of the avian trkC receptors: a novel kinase insertion dissociates transformation and process outgrowth from survival. Neuron 13: 457–572. , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1986. Maternal drug therapy: effect on fetal and neonatal growth and neurobehavior. Neurol Toxicol 7: 121–140. , .
- 1997. Wnt signalling required for expansion of neural crest and CNS progenitors. Nature 389: 966–970. , , , , .
- 1991. In vitro clonal analysis of quail cardiac neural crest development. Dev Biol 148: 95–106. , .
- 1993. Pluripotent and developmentally restricted neural-crest-derived cells in posterior visceral arches. Dev Biol 156: 191–200. , .
- 1993. In vitro clonal analysis of mouse neural crest development. Dev Biol 157: 517–525. , , .
- 1967. The uptake and storage of noradrenaline in sympathetic nerves. New York: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1993. Relationship of maternal substance abuse to subsequent sudden infant death syndrome in offspring. J Pediatr 123: 120–126. , , , , .
- 1983. Neural crest cells contribute to normal aorticopulmonary septation. Science 220: 1059–1061. , , .
- 1985. Characterization of conotruncal malformations following ablation of “cardiac” neural crest. Anat Rec 213: 87–93. , , .
- 1990. Role of neural crest in congenital heart disease. Circulation 82: 332–340. , .
- 1995. Neural crest and cardiovascular patterning. Circ Res 77: 211–215. , .
- 2002. Neural crest stem cells persist in the adult gut but undergo changes in self-renewal, neuronal subtype potential, and factor responsiveness. Neuron 35: 657–669. , , , , , .
- 1987. The mechanism of the 3H-noradrenaline releasing effect of various substrates of uptake 1: multifactorial induction of outward transport. Naunyn Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 336: 602–610. , , .
- 1999. In: Le DouarinNM, KalcheimC, editors. The neural crest. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2000. TrkC receptor signaling regulates cardiac myocyte proliferation during early heart development in vivo. Dev Biol 226: 180–191. , , , , , .
- 1998. Noggin-mediated antagonism of BMP signaling is required for growth and patterning of the neural tube and somite. Genes Dev 15: 1438–1452. , , , , , .
- 1995. Serotonin regulates mouse cranial neural crest migration. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 7182–7186. , .
- 1998. A common neural progenitor for the CNS and PNS. Dev Biol 200: 1–15. , , .
- 1999. Evidence for role of truncated trkC receptor isoforms in mouse development. J Neurosci 10: 775–782. , , .
- 1973. Mechanisms of efflux of noradrenaline from adrenergic nerves in rabbit atria. Br J Pharmacol 49: 6114–6627. .
- 1999. A subpopulation of apoptosis-prone cardiac neural crest cells targets the venous pole: multiple functions in heart development? Dev Biol 207: 271–286. , .
- 2001. Noradrenaline-induced increase in protein synthesis in adult rat cardiomyocytes: involvement of only α1A-adrenoceptors. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 264: 444–453. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The role of norepinephrine and 3 adrenergic receptors in fetal development. Soc Neurosci Abstr 27: 838.2. , .
- 2001. Autocrine regulation of norepinephrine transporter expression. Mol Cell Neurosci 17: 539–550. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Ubiquitous embryonic expression of the norepinephrine transporter. Dev Neurosci, 25: 1–13. , , , .
- 1993. Pluripotent neural crest cells in the developing skin of the quail embryo. Dev Biol 157: 348–358. , .
- 1978. The relationship of cell division to the acquisition of adrenergic characteristics by developing sympathetic ganglion cell precursors. Dev Biol 65: 322–341. , , .
- 1997. Regulation of dorsal fate in the neuraxis by Wnt-1 and Wnt-3a. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 13713–13718. , , , .
- 1987. Nonexocytotic release of endogenous noradrenaline in the ischemic and anoxic rat heart: mechanism and metabolic requirements. Circ Res 60: 194–205. , , , , .
- 1999. Regulation of the onset of neural crest migration by coordinated activity of BMP4 and Noggin in the dorsal neural tube. Development 126: 4749–4762. , .
- 1998. Effects of Shh and Noggin on neural crest formation demonstrate that BMP is required in the neural tube but not ectoderm. Development 125: 4919–4930. , , , .
- 1992. Serotonin as a regulator of craniofacial morphogenesis: site specific malformations following exposure to serotonin uptake inhibitors. Teratology 46: 367–378. , , .
- 1980. Clonal analysis of quail neural crest cells: they are pluripotent and differentiate in vitro in the absence of noncrest cells. Dev Biol 80: 96–106. , .
- 1989a. Commitment of neural crest cells to the sensory neuron lineage. Science 243: 1608–1611. .
- 1989b. Inhibition of the adrenergic phenotype in cultured neural crest cells by norepinephrine uptake inhibitors. Dev Biol 136: 372–380. .
- 1993. Distribution of pluripotent neural crest cells in the embryo and the role of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the commitment to the primary sensory neuron lineage. J Neurobiol 24: 173–184. , , , , .
- 1999. The neural crest colony assay: assessing molecular influences on development in culture. In: HaynesLW, editor. The neuron in tissue culture. New York: BRO, John Wiley & Sons Ltd. p 5–22. .
- 2000. Norepinephrine transporter expression and function in noradrenergic cell differentiation. Mol Cell Biochem 212: 61–70. , .
- 1994. Functions of the neurotrophins during nervous system development: what the knockouts are teaching us. Cell 77: 627–638. .
- 1970. Putative neurotransmitters in the brain: selective neuronal uptake, subcellular localization, and interactions with centrally acting drugs. Biol Psychiatry 2: 367–389. .
- 1988. Basic FGF induces neuronal differentiation, cell division, and NGF dependence in chromaffin cells: a sequence of events in sympathetic development. Neuron 1: 517–525. , , .
- 1977. Identification de catecholamines et de serotonine dans les chordes d'embryons de poulet. CR Acad Sci Paris 284: 967–969. , , .
- 1989. Distribution of the neural crest cells in the heart of birds: a three dimensional analysis. Anat Embryol 180: 29–35. , , .
- 1993. trkC, a receptor for neurotrophin-3, is widely expressed in the developing nervous system and in non-neuronal tissues. Development 118: 463–475. Erratum in Development 1993;118:1384 ff. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Targeted deletion of all isoforms of the trkC gene suggests the use of alternate receptors by its ligand neurotrophin-3 in neuronal development and implicates trkC in normal cardiogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 14776–14781. , , , , , , .
- 1993. The rat trkC locus encodes multiple neurogenic receptors that exhibit differential response to neurotrophin-3 in PC12 cells. Neuron 10: 975–990. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Norepinephrine induces apoptosis in skin melanophores by attenuating cAMP-PKA signals via alpha2-adrenoceptors in the medaka, Oryzias latipes. Pigment Cell Res 14: 356–361. , .
- 1993. Alternative forms of rat TrkC with different functional capabilities. Neuron 10: 963–974. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Distribution of mRNA encoding three alpha 2-adrenergic receptor subtypes in the developing mouse embryo suggests a role for the alpha 2A subtype in apoptosis. Mol Pharmacol 52: 1071–1080. , .
- 2003. Neural crest stem cell and cardiac endothelium defects in the TrkC null mouse. Mol Cell Neurosci 24: 160–170. , , , , .
- 1992. Characterization of the norepinephrine uptake system and the role of norepinephrine in the expression of the adrenergic phenotype by quail neural crest cells in clonal culture. Brain Res 570: 251–258. , .
- 1997a. Mitogenic and anti-proliferative signals for neural crest cells and the neurogenic action of TGF-β1. Dev Biol 208: 375–386. , , .
- 1997b. Neurotrophin-3 and norepinephrine-mediated adrenergic differentiation and the inhibitory action of desipramine and cocaine. J Neurobiol 32: 262–280. , , , , , , , , .