Cardiovascular potential of embryonic stem cells
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Special Issue: Stem Cells and the Cardiovascular System
Volume 276A, Issue 1, pages 58–65, January 2004
How to Cite
Gerecht-Nir, S., Fishman, B. and Itskovitz-Eldor, J. (2004), Cardiovascular potential of embryonic stem cells. Anat. Rec., 276A: 58–65. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.10136
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 28 MAR 2003
- Fund for Medical Research and Development of Infrastructure and Health Services
- Rambam Medical Center
- Technion Research and Development Foundation Ltd. (supported hESCs)
- 2000. Clonally derived human embryonic stem cell lines maintain pluripotency and proliferative potential for prolonged periods of culture. Dev Biol 227: 271–278. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Derivation and spontaneous differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. J Anat 200: 225–232. , .
- 1996. Blood island formation in attached cultures of murine embryonic stem cells. Dev Dyn 205: 1–12. , , , , , .
- 2002. Stem cell medicine encounters the immune system. Nat Rev Immunol 2: 859–871. , , .
- 1999. Role of vascular endothelial growth factor and vascular endothelial growth factor receptors in vascular development. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 237: 133–158. , .
- 2000. Mechanisms of angiogenesis and arteriogenesis. Nat Med 6: 389–395. .
- 1964. Cell interaction and oriented movements during development. J Exp Zool 157: 127–138. .
- 1965. Morphogenesis of the vertibrate heart. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, pp. 377–419. .
- 1997. Embryonic endothelial cells transdifferentiate into mesenchymal cells expressing smooth muscle actins in vivo and in vitro. Circ Res 80: 444–451. , , , , , .
- 1985. The in vitro development of blastocyst-derived embryonic stem cell lines: formation of visceral yolk sac, blood islands and myocardium. J Embryol Exp Morphol 87: 27–45. , , , , .
- 1997. TAL1/SCL is expressed in endothelial progenitor cells/angioblasts and defines a dorsal-to-ventral gradient of vasculogenesis. Dev Biol 192: 17–30. , , , .
- 2000. Vasculogenesis in the day 6.5 to 9.5 mouse embryo. Blood 95: 1671–1679. , .
- 1981. Establishment in culture of pluripotential cells from mouse embryos. Nature 292: 154–156. , .
- 2002. Suicide gene transduction sensitizes murine embryonic and human mesenchymal stem cells to ablation on demand—a fail-safe protection against cellular misbehavior. Gene Ther 9: 955–962. , .
- 2003. Murine embryonic stem cell in vitro differentiation: applications to the study of vascular development. Histol Histopathol 18: 191–199. , .
- 1997. Fashioning the vertebrate heart: earliest embryonic decisions. Development 124: 2099–2117. , .
- 1999. Growth factors acting via endothelial cell-specific receptor tyrosine kinases: VEGFs, angiopoietins, and ephrins in vascular development. Genes Dev 13: 1055–1066. , .
- 2000. The latent transforming growth factor-beta-binding protein-1 promotes in vitro differentiation of embryonic stem cells into endothelium. Mol Biol Cell 11: 4295–4308. , , , , , .
- 1997. Embryonic stem cells: a model to study structural and functional properties in cardiomyogenesis. Cardiovasc Res 36: 149–162. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Chamber-specific differentiation of Nkx2.5-positive cardiac precursor cells from murine embryonic stem cells. Faseb J 19: 19. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Maturation of embryonic stem cells into endothelial cells in an in vitro model of vasculogenesis. Blood 93: 1253–1263. , , , .
- 2000. Differentiation of human embryonic stem cells into embryoid bodies compromising the three embryonic germ layers. Mol Med 6: 88–95. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Hematopoietic colony-forming cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 10716–10721. , , , , .
- 2001. Human embryonic stem cells can differentiate into myocytes with structural and functional properties of cardiomyocytes. J Clin Invest 108: 407–414. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. High-resolution electrophysiological assessment of human embryonic stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes: a novel in vitro model for the study of conduction. Circ Res 91: 659–661. , , , , .
- 1996. Genetically selected cardiomyocytes from differentiating embryonic stem cells form stable intracardiac grafts. J Clin Invest 98: 216–224. , , , .
- 2002. Generation of histocompatible tissues using nuclear transplantation. Nat Biotechnol 20: 689–696. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Essentials of human embryology, 2nd edition. New York: Churchill Livingstone Inc. .
- 2002. Endothelial cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 4391–4396. , , , , .
- 1993. Embryonic stem cells differentiate in vitro into cardiomyocytes representing sinusnodal, atrial and ventricular cell types. Mech Dev 44: 41–50. , , , .
- 1994. Cardiomyocytes differentiated in vitro from embryonic stem cells developmentally express cardiac-specific genes and ionic currents. Circ Res 75: 233–244. , , , , .
- 2002. Endothelial cells genetically selected from differentiating mouse embryonic stem cells incorporate at sites of neovascularization in vivo. J Cell Sci 115: 2075–2085. , , , , , , .
- 1978. Cardiac-like action potentials recorded from spontaneously-contracting structures induced in post-nodal pieces of chick blastoderm exposed to an RNA-enriched fraction from adult heart. Differentiation 11: 13–17. , , .
- 1993. In vitro chamber specification during embryonic stem cell cardiogenesis. Expression of the ventricular myosin light chain-2 gene is independent of heart tube formation. J Biol Chem 268: 25244–25252. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Transplantation of embryonic stem cells improves cardiac function in postinfarcted rats. J Appl Physiol 92: 288–296. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Long-term improvement of cardiac function in rats after infarction by transplantation of embryonic stem cells. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 125: 361–369. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Selection of ventricular-like cardiomyocytes from ES cells in vitro. Faseb J 14: 2540–2548. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Cardiomyocyte differentiation of mouse and human embryonic stem cells. J Anat 200: 233–242. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Multilineage differentiation from human embryonic stem cell lines. Stem Cells 19: 193–204. , , .
- 1982. Veratradine stimulation of calcium uptake by chick embryonic heart cells in culture. J Mol Cell Cardiol 14: 703–709. , .
- 2000. Embryonic stem cell lines from human blastocysts: somatic differentiation in vitro. Nat Biotechnol 18: 399–404. , , , , .
- 2002. Human feeders support prolonged undifferentiated growth of human inner cell masses and embryonic stem cells. Nat Biotechnol 20: 933–936. , , , , .
- 1997. Mechanisms of angiogenesis. Nature 386: 671–674. .
- 2000. Effects of eight growth factors on the differentiation of cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 11307–11312. , , , , .
- 2001. Embryo-derived stem cells: of mice and men. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17: 435–462. .
- 1998. Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocysts. Science 282: 1145–1147. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Monoclonal antibodies specific for endothelial cells of mouse blood vessels. Their application in the identification of adult and embryonic endothelium. Eur J Cell Biol 63: 247–254. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Embryonic stem cells differentiate in vitro to endothelial cells through successive maturation steps. Blood 88: 3424–3431. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Embryonic stem cell-derived cystic embryoid bodies form vascular channels: an in vitro model of blood vessel development. Development 114: 303–316. , , .
- 1991. Pluripotent mouse embryonic stem cells are able to differentiate into cardiomyocytes expressing chronotropic responses to adrenergic and cholinergic agents and Ca2+ channel blockers. Differentiation 48: 173–182. , , .
- 1997. Retinoic acid accelerates embryonic stem cell-derived cardiac differentiation and enhances development of ventricular cardiomyocytes. J Mol Cell Cardiol 29: 1525–1539. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Isolated heart cells as a model of the myocardium. Basic Res Cardiol 80: 9–13. .
- 2001. Feeder-free growth of undifferentiated human embryonic stem cells. Nat Biotechnol 19: 971–974. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Characterization and enrichment of cardiomyocytes derived from human embryonic stem cells. Circ Res 91: 501–508. , , , .
- 2000. Flk1-positive cells derived from embryonic stem cells serve as vascular progenitors. Nature 408: 92–96. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Vascular-specific growth factors and blood vessel formation. Nature 407: 242–248. , , , , , .
- 2002. Effective contribution of transplanted vascular progenitor cells derived from embryonic stem cells to adult neovascularization in proper differentiation stage. Blood 12: 12. , , , , , , , , , .