Spatiotemporal analysis of programmed cell death during mouse cardiac septation
Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 277A, Issue 2, pages 355–369, April 2004
How to Cite
Sharma, P. R., Anderson, R. H., Copp, A. J. and Henderson, D. J. (2004), Spatiotemporal analysis of programmed cell death during mouse cardiac septation. Anat. Rec., 277A: 355–369. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20006
- Issue online: 12 MAR 2004
- Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Received: 31 JAN 2003
- British Heart Foundation. Grant Numbers: FS/98010, BS/99001
- University College London Medical School
- Wellcome Trust. Grant Number: 051690
- 1999. Apoptosis in the pattern formation of the ventricular wall during mouse heart organogenesis. Anat Rec 256: 208–217. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Overlapping and differential localization of Bmp-2, Bmp-4, Msx-2 and apoptosis in the developing endocardial cushion and adjacent tissues of the developing mouse heart. Cell Tissue Res 305: 67–78. , , , .
- 1987. Origin of the mesenchymal tissue in the septum primum: a structural and ultrastructural study. J Mol Cell Cardiol 19: 641–651. , , , .
- 1981. F4/80, a monoclonal antibody directed specifically against the mouse macrophage. Eur J Immunol 11: 805–815. , .
- 2001. Double-outlet right ventricle and overriding tricuspid valve reflects disturbances of looping, myocardialization, endocardial cushion differentiation, and apoptosis in TGFb2-knockout mice. Circulation 103: 2745–2752. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. The role of macrophages in clearing programmed cell death in the developing kidney. Anat Embryol 194: 341–348. , .
- 2002. Spatiotemporal and tissue specific distribution of apoptosis in the developing chick heart. Dev Dyn 223: 119–133. , , , .
- 1998. Epicardium-derived cells contribute a novel population to the myocardial wall and the atrioventricular cushions. Circ Res 82: 1043–1052. , , , , .
- 2000. Epicardial outgrowth inhibition leads to compensatory mesothelial outflow tract collar and abnormal cardiac septation and coronary formation. Circ Res 87: 969–971. , , , , .
- 1998. Versican expression is associated with chamber specification, septation and valvulogenesis in the developing mouse heart. Circ Res 83: 523–532. , .
- 1994. Macrophage recruitment during limb development and wound healing in the embryonic and foetal mouse. J Cell Sci 107: 1159–1167. , , , .
- 1979. Cell death during the development of the truncus and conus of the chick embryo heart. J Anat 129: 427–439. , .
- 1997. Programmed cell death in animal development. Cell 88: 347–354. , , .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cardiac neural crest. Development 127: 1607–1616. , , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of apoptosis in the endocardial cushions of the developing chick heart. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 282: C1348–1360. , .
- 1983. Neural crest cells contribute to normal aorto-pulmonary septation. Science 220: 1059–1061. , , .
- 2003. Recruitment of intra- and extracardiac cells into the myocardial lineage during mouse development. Anat Rec 271: 303–314. , , , .
- 2002. Elevated transforming growth factor μ2 enhances apoptosis and contributes to abnormal outflow tract and aortic sac development in retinoic X receptor α knockout embryos. Development 129: 733–746. , , , .
- 1998. Neurofibromin modulation of ras activity is required for normal endocardial-mesenchymal interaction in the developing heart. Development 125: 4359–4367. , .
- 1996. In vivo inhibition of programmed cell death by local administration of FGF-2 and FGF-4 in the interdigital areas of the embryonic chick leg bud. Anat Embryol 193: 533–541. , , , .
- 1999. Does the subepicardial mesenchyme contribute myocardioblasts to the myocardium of the chick embryo heart? a quail-chick chimera study tracing the fate of the epicardial primordium. Anat Rec 255: 212–226. .
- 1991. Cell death during development of the nervous system. Annu Rev Neurosci 14: 453–501. .
- 2002. Experimental studies on the spatiotemporal expression of WT-1 and RALDH2 in the embryonic avian heart: a model for the regulation of myocardial and valvuloseptal development by epicardially derived cells (EPDCs). Dev Biol 247: 307–326. , , , , , , .
- 1975. Cell death in the morphogenesis and teratogenesis of the heart. Adv Anat Embryol Cell Biol 51: 3–99. .
- 1998. Neural crest cells in outflow tract septation of the embryonic chicken heart: differentiation and apoptosis. Dev Dyn 212: 373–384. , , .
- 2002. Initiation of apoptosis in the developing avian outflow tract myocardium. Dev Dynam 223: 469–482. , , , .
- 2000. Developmental patterning of the myocardium. Anat Rec 258: 319–337. , , , , .
- 1999. Myocardialization of the cardiac outflow tract. Dev Biol 212: 477–490. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Targeted disruption of the mouse Caspase 8 gene ablates cell death induction by the TNF receptors, Fas/Apo1, and DR3 and is lethal prenatally. Immunity 9: 267–276. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cell death in development. Cell 96: 245–254. , .
- 2001. Apoptosis is required for the proper formation of the ventriculo-arterial connections. Dev Biol. 240: 274–288. , , .
- 1998. Formation of the atrioventricular septal structures in the normal mouse. Circ Res 82: 645–656. , , .
- 1997. Is programmed cell death required for neural tube closure. Curr Biol 7: 281–284. , , .
- 2000. Mesenchymal cells engulf and clear apoptotic footplate cells in macrophageless PU.1 null mouse embryos. Development 127: 5245–5252. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Normal development of the outflow tract in the rat. Circ Res 82: 464–472. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Bending of the neural plate during mouse spinal neurulation is independent of actin microfilaments. Dev Dyn 215: 273–283. , .
- 1998. FADD: essential for embryo development and signaling from some, but not all, inducers of apoptosis. Science 279: 1954–1958. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Requirement for Casper (c-FLIP) in regulation of death receptor-induced apoptosis and embryonic development. Immunity 12: 633–642. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Programmed cell death in the developing heart: regulation by BMP4 and FGF2. Dev Dyn 217: 388–400. , .
- 1996. Requirement for BMP signalling in interdigital apoptosis and scale formation. Science 272: 738–741. , .