Age-related expression patterns of Bag-1 and Bcl-2 in growth plate and articular chondrocytes
Article first published online: 3 JUL 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 279A, Issue 2, pages 720–728, August 2004
How to Cite
Kinkel, M. D., Yagi, R., McBurney, D., Nugent, A. and Horton, W. E. (2004), Age-related expression patterns of Bag-1 and Bcl-2 in growth plate and articular chondrocytes. Anat. Rec., 279A: 720–728. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20063
- Issue published online: 19 JUL 2004
- Article first published online: 3 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 MAY 2004
- Manuscript Received: 25 APR 2004
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: RO1 AR 46459-02
- 1998. Chondrocyte apoptosis increases with age in the articular cartilage of adult animals. Anat Rec 250: 418–425. ,
- 1997. Bcl-2 lies downstream of parathyroid hormone-related peptide in a signaling pathway that regulates chondrocyte maturation during skeletal development. J Cell Biol 136: 205–213. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. HGF receptor associates with the anti-apoptotic protein BAG-1 and prevents cell death. EMBO J 15: 6205–6212. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Age-related changes in the synthesis of link protein and aggrecan in human articular cartilage: implications for aggregate stability. Biochem J 337(Pt 1) 77–82. , , .
- 1998. The bcl-2 knockout mouse exhibits marked changes in osteoblast phenotype and collagen deposition in bone as well as a mild growth plate phenotype. Int J Exp Pathol 79: 329–335. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Transrepression of type II collagen by TGF-beta and FGF is protein kinase C dependent and is mediated through regulatory sequences in the promoter and first intron. J Cell Physiol 158: 61–68. , , , , .
- 1994. Age-related changes in cartilage proteoglycans: quantitative electron microscopic studies. Microsc Res Tech 28: 398–408. , , .
- 2001. BAG-1 family of cochaperones in the modulation of nuclear receptor action. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 78: 379–388. , .
- 2002. Apoptosis is developmentally regulated in rat growth plate. Endocrine 18: 271–278. , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of osteogenic proteins by chondrocytes. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 35: 1323–1340. , .
- 1997. Role of Bag-1 in the survival and proliferation of the cytokine-dependent lymphocyte lines, Ba/F3 and Nb2. Mol Endocrinol 11: 608–618. , , , , , .
- 2000. Isoform-specific expression of BAG-1 in mouse development. Mech Dev 91: 355–359. , , .
- 2002. Interdigital apoptosis and downregulation of BAG-1 expression in mouse autopods. Mech Dev 111: 149–152. , , , , .
- 2000. BAG-1, a novel Bcl-2-interacting protein, activates expression of human JC virus. J Gen Virol 81: 351–357. , , , .
- 2002. What's in the “BAG”? a functional domain analysis of the BAG-family proteins. Cancer Lett 188: 25–32. , , .
- 1998. Evidence of a direct role for Bcl-2 in the regulation of articular chondrocyte apoptosis under the conditions of serum withdrawal and retinoic acid treatment. J Cell Biochem 71: 302–309. , , ,
- 1999. Bcl-2 regulates chondrocyte morphology and aggrecan gene expression independent of caspase activation and full apoptosis. J Cell Biochem 74: 576–586. , , ,
- 1999. Inhibition of p53 transcriptional activity by Bcl-2 requires its membrane-anchoring domain. J Biol Chem 274: 6469–6475. , , , , .
- 1996. Bcl-2 down-regulates the activity of transcription factor NF-kappaB induced upon apoptosis. J Cell Biol 134: 13–23. , , , .
- 1997. GrpE-like regulation of the hsc70 chaperone by the anti-apoptotic protein BAG-1. EMBO J 16: 6209–6216. , .
- 1988. An established rat cell line expressing chondrocyte properties. Exp Cell Res 178: 457–468. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Apoptotic chondrocyte death in human osteoarthritis. J Rheumatol 27: 455–462. , , , , .
- 2003. Coordinate down-regulation of cartilage matrix gene expression in Bcl-2 deficient chondrocytes is associated with decreased SOX9 expression and decreased mRNA stability. J Cell Biochem 88: 941–953. ,
- 2002. Bag1 proteins regulate growth and survival of ZR-75-1 human breast cancer cells. Cancer Res 62: 1904–1909. , , , .
- 1998. Interaction of BAG-1 with retinoic acid receptor and its inhibition of retinoic acid-induced apoptosis in cancer cells. J Biol Chem 273: 16985–16992. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Use of a new rat chondrosarcoma cell line to delineate a 119-base pair chondrocyte-specific enhancer element and to define active promoter segments in the mouse pro-alpha 1(II) collagen gene. J Biol Chem 270: 27711–27719. , , , , , .
- 1994. Characterization of type II and type XI collagen synthesis by an immortalized rat chondrocyte cell line (IRC) having a low level of type II collagen mRNA expression. Exp Cell Res 213: 28–36. , , , .
- 2003. Essential role of the unusual DNA-binding motif of bag-1 for inhibition of the glucocorticoid receptor. J Biol Chem 278: 4926–4931. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Suppression of signalling through transcription factor NF-AT by interactions between calcineurin and Bcl-2. Nature 386: 728–731. , , , .
- 1997. Anti-cell death activity promotes pulmonary metastasis of melanoma cells. Oncogene 14: 2971–2977. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cloning and functional analysis of BAG-1: a novel Bcl-2-binding protein with anti-cell death activity. Cell 80: 279–284. , , , , , , .
- 1997. BAG-1 modulates the chaperone activity of Hsp70/Hsc70. EMBO J 16: 4887–4896. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression and location of Hsp70/Hsc-binding anti-apoptotic protein BAG-1 and its variants in normal tissues and tumor cell lines. Cancer Res 58: 3116–3131. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Influence of aging on the synthesis and morphology of the aggrecans synthesized by differentiated human articular chondrocytes. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 8: 170–179. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Bcl-2 interacting protein, BAG-1, binds to and activates the kinase Raf-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 7063–7068. , , , .
- 1997. Expression of Bcl-2 protein in the epiphyseal plate cartilage and trabecular bone of growing rats. Histochem Cell Biol 108: 45–55. , , , .
- 2001. BAG-1 p50 isoform interacts with the vitamin D receptor and its cellular overexpression inhibits the vitamin D pathway. Exp Cell Res 265: 167–173. , , , .
- 1984. Biostatistical analysis, 2nd ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. .
- 1995. A protein that interacts with members of the nuclear hormone receptor family: identification and cDNA cloning. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 11465–11469. , .
- 1997. Mammalian protein RAP46: an interaction partner and modulator of 70 kDa heat shock proteins. EMBO J 16: 5483–5490. , , .