Sympathetic nervous system regulation of liver repair
Version of Record online: 3 SEP 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Special Issue: The Hepatic Nervous System
Volume 280A, Issue 1, pages 874–883, September 2004
How to Cite
Oben, J. A. and Diehl, A. M. (2004), Sympathetic nervous system regulation of liver repair. Anat. Rec., 280A: 874–883. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20081
- Issue online: 20 SEP 2004
- Version of Record online: 3 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Received: 11 MAR 2004
- 2001. A modified choline-deficient, ethionine-supplemented diet protocol effectively induces oval cells in mouse liver. Hepatology 34: 519–522. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Norepinephrine enhances fibrosis mediated by TGF-beta in cardiac fibroblasts. Hypertension 40: 148–154. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Prostaglandin F2 alpha and D2 release from primary Ito cell cultures after stimulation with noradrenaline and ATP but not adenosine. Hepatology 20: 142–148. , , .
- 1990. Nerves and perisinusoidal cells in human liver. J Hepatol 10: 105–112. , , , .
- 1996. Glial fibrillary acidic protein as a marker of perisinusoidal stellate cells that can distinguish between the normal and myofibroblast-like phenotypes. Biol Cell 87: 65–73. , , .
- 1999. Synaptophysin: a novel marker for human and rat hepatic stellate cells. Am J Pathol 155: 1831–1839. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Human and rat hepatic stellate cells express neurotrophins and neurotrophin receptors. Hepatology 33: 148–158. , , , .
- 2002a. Hepatic stellate cell/myofibroblast subpopulations in fibrotic human and rat livers. J Hepatol 36: 200–209. , , , , .
- 2002b. The vagal nerve stimulates activation of the hepatic progenitor cell compartment via muscarinic acetylcholine receptor type 3. Am J Pathol 161: 521–530. , , , , , .
- 1999. Norepinephrine is required for leptin effects on gene expression in brown and white adipose tissue. Endocrinology 140: 4772–4778. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Inhibition of rat liver fibrogenesis through noradrenergic antagonism. Hepatology 35: 325–331. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Increased sympathetic nervous activity and the effects of its inhibition with clonidine in alcoholic cirrhosis. Ann Intern Med 116: 446–455. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Precursor-product relationship between oval cells and hepatocytes: comparison between tritiated thymidine and bromodeoxyuridine as tracers. Carcinogenesis 17: 2143–2151. , , , , , .
- 1995. Norepinephrine and ANG II stimulate secretion of TGF-beta by neonatal rat cardiac fibroblasts in vitro. Am J Physiol 268: C910–C917. , .
- 2000. Leptin enhances wound re-epithelialization and constitutes a direct function of leptin in skin repair. J Clin Invest 106: 501–509. , , , , .
- 2000. Molecular regulation of hepatic fibrosis, an integrated cellular response to tissue injury. J Biol Chem 275: 2247–2250. .
- 2001. Nicotine stimulates angiogenesis and promotes tumor growth and atherosclerosis. Nat Med 7: 833–839. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A novel angiogenic pathway mediated by non-neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. J Clin Invest 110: 527–536. , , , , .
- 1984. Splanchnic and renal elimination and release of catecholamines in cirrhosis: evidence of enhanced sympathetic nervous activity in patients with decompensated cirrhosis. Gut 25: 1034–1043. , , , .
- 2002. Leptin is required for fibrogenic responses induced by thioacetamide in the murine liver. Hepatology 36: 12–21. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. The role of the sympathetic nervous system in promoting liver cirrhosis induced by carbon tetrachloride, using the essential hypertensive animal (SHR). J Auton Nerv Syst 37: 163–173. .
- 2001. Leptin augments inflammatory and profibrogenic responses in the murine liver induced by hepatotoxic chemicals. Hepatology 34: 288–297. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Enhancement of MTT, a tetrazolium salt, exocytosis by amyloid beta-protein and chloroquine in cultured rat astrocytes. Neurosci Lett 266: 129–132. , , .
- 1996. Exaggeration of acute liver damage by hepatic sympathetic nerves and circulating catecholamines in perfused liver of rats treated with D-galactosamine. Hepatology 23: 524–529. , .
- 2002. Nicotine accelerates angiogenesis and wound healing in genetically diabetic mice. Am J Pathol 161: 97–104. , , , , , .
- 2002. Neuropeptide Y modifies the hypertrophic response of adult ventricular cardiomyocytes to norepinephrine. Cardiovasc Res 53: 879–887. , , , , .
- 1983. Effect of autonomic denervation on DNA synthesis during liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy. Eur J Biochem 134: 473–478. , .
- 1994. Facilitation of liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy by ventromedial hypothalamic lesions in rats. Pflügers Arch 428: 26–29. , , , , .
- 1982. Reduced norepinephrine turnover in brown adipose tissue of ob/ob mice. Am J Physiol 242: E253–E261. , .
- 2002. Leptin is essential for the hepatic fibrogenic response to chronic liver injury. J Hepatol 37: 206–213. , , , .
- 2001. Increased responsiveness to the hyperglycemic, hyperglucagonemic and hyperinsulinemic effects of circulating norepinephrine in ob/ob mice. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25: 698–704. , .
- 2000. Increased cytotoxicity of cadmium in fibroblasts lacking c-fos. Biochem Pharmacol 59: 1573–1576. , , .
- 1983. Fluorescence microscopical and chemical characterization of the adrenergic innervation in mammalian liver tissue. Cell Tissue Res 230: 605–613. , , .
- 1983. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 65: 55–63. .
- 1999. Class VI intermediate filament protein nestin is induced during activation of rat hepatic stellate cells. Hepatology 29: 520–527. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003a. Sympathetic nervous system inhibition increases hepatic progenitors and reduces liver injury. Hepatology 38: 284A. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003b. Sympathetic nervous system inhibition increases hepatic progenitors and reduces liver injury. Hepatology 38: 664–673. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003c. Norepinephrine induces hepatic fibrogenesis in leptin deficient ob/ob mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 308: 284–292. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003d. Acetylcholine promotes the proliferation and collagen gene expression of myofibroblastic hepatic stellate cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 300: 172–177. , , , , .
- 2003e. Autonomic neurotransmitters promote proliferation and collagen expression of myofibroblastic hepatic stellate cells. Gastroenterology 124: A940. , , , , .
- 2003f. Norepinephrine and neuropeptide Y promote proliferation and collagen gene expression of hepatic myofibroblastic stellate cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 302: 685–690. , , , , .
- 2004. Hepatic fibrogenesis requires sympathetic neurotransmitters. Gut 53: 438–445. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Electron microscope study on the innervation of guinea pig liver: proposal of sensory nerve terminals in the hepatic parenchyme. Arch Histol Jpn 47: 149–178. .
- 2002. Hepatic stellate cells: role in microcirculation and pathophysiology of portal hypertension. Gut 50: 571–581. , , , .
- 2003. Oxidative stress and oval cell accumulation in mice and humans with alcoholic and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Am J Pathol 163: 1301–1311. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Leptin is mitogenic, anti-apoptotic and increases fibrogenic response genes in rat hepatic stellate cells. Hepatology 36: 316A. , , , .
- 1997a. Impaired maternal behavior in mice lacking norepinephrine and epinephrine. Cell 91: 583–592. , .
- 1997b. Thermoregulatory and metabolic phenotypes of mice lacking noradrenaline and adrenaline. Nature 387: 94–97. , .
- 2002. Increased plasma levels of neuropeptide Y in hepatorenal syndrome. J Hepatol 36: 349–355. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. MEK1/2-ERK1/2 mediates alpha1-adrenergic receptor-stimulated hypertrophy in adult rat ventricular myocytes. J Mol Cell Cardiol 33: 779–787. , , , , , .
- 1983. Diminished sympathetic nervous system activity in genetically obese (ob/ob) mouse. Am J Physiol 245: E148–E154. , .