Three-dimensional arrangement of the vasa vasorum in explanted segments of the aged human great saphenous vein: Scanning electron microscopy and three-dimensional morphometry of vascular corrosion casts
Version of Record online: 15 OCT 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 281A, Issue 2, pages 1372–1382, December 2004
How to Cite
Lametschwandtner, A., Minnich, B., Kachlik, D., Setina, M. and Stingl, J. (2004), Three-dimensional arrangement of the vasa vasorum in explanted segments of the aged human great saphenous vein: Scanning electron microscopy and three-dimensional morphometry of vascular corrosion casts. Anat. Rec., 281A: 1372–1382. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20098
- Issue online: 22 NOV 2004
- Version of Record online: 15 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAY 2004
- Manuscript Received: 16 FEB 2004
- Charles University Prague. Grant Number: GA UK 57/2002/C
- Stiftungs- und Förderungsgesellschaft der Paris-Lodron-Universität Salzburg
- 1992. Microvascular corrosion casting. New York: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 2002. Experimental angiogenesis of arterial vasa vasorum. Cell Tissue Res 307: 303–313. , , , .
- 2002. The use of microcomputed tomography to study microvasculature in small rodents. Am J Physiol Integr Comp Physiol 282: R1267–R1279. , , , .
- 1982. Structures imitating myocytes and pericytes in corrosion casts of terminal blood vessels: a methodical approach to the phenomenon of “plastic strips” in SEM. Mikroskopie 39: 95–106. , , .
- 1983. The outer surface morphology of blood vessels as revealed in scanning electron microscopy in resin cast, non-corroded tissue specimens. Scan Electron Microsc 4: 1955–1962. .
- 2001. Anti-angiogenesis: a new potential strategy to inhibit restenosis. Int J Cardiovasc Interv 4: 3–6. , , , .
- 2003. Functional anatomy and hemodynamic characteristics of vasa vasorum in the wall of porcine coronary arteries. Anat Rec 272A: 526–537. , , , , , , .
- 1981. Cephalic vascular patterns in the rat. Thesis. Amsterdam: University of Amsterdam. .
- 1998. Three-dimensional imaging of vasculature and parenchyma in intact rodent organs with X-ray micro-CT. Am J Physiol 275: H1103–H1114. , , .
- 2002. Vasa vasorum of the human great saphenous vein. Surg Radiol Anat 24: 377–381. , , , , .
- 2002. Coexistence of hypercholesterolemia and hypertension impairs adventitial vascularization. Hypertension 39: 455–459. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Cryostatic micro-computed tomography imaging of arterial wall perfusion. Scanning 24: 186–190. , , , , , .
- 1995. Intimal neovascularization in human atherosclerosis: its origin and pathophysiological significance. Hum Pathol 26: 450–456. , , .
- 2002. Hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha/vascular endothelial growth factor pathway for adventitial vasa vasorum formation in hypertensive rat aorta. Hypertension 39: 46–50. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Enhanced coronary vasa vasorum neovascularization in experimental hypercholesterolemia. J Clin Invest 101: 1551–1556. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Scanning electron microscopy of vascular corrosion casts technique and applications. Scanning Electron Microsc 1984: 663–695. , , .
- 1999. Evaluation of microvascular anatomy by micro-CT. Herz 24: 531–533. , .
- 1995. A simple and accurate method for 3-D measurements in microcorrosion casts illustrated with tumor vascularization. Anal Cell Pathol 9: 69–81. , , , .
- 1999. Three-dimensional morphometry in scanning electron microscopy: a technique for accurate dimensional and angular measurements of microstructures using stereopaired images and digital image analysis. J Microsc 195: 23–33. , , , .
- 2002. How a highly complex three dimensional network of blood vessels regresses: the gill blood vascular system of tadpoles of Xenopus during metamorphosis—a SEM study on microvascular corrosion casts. Microvasc Res 64: 425–437. , , .
- 1976. Scanning electron microscopy of plastic-corrosion-casts: morphological differences between arteries and veins. Berichte Direktabb Oberfl 9: 435–442. , , .
- 1971. The application of the scanning electron microscope to the study of the fine distribution of the blood vessels. Arch Histol Jap 32: 445–454. .
- 1926a. The physiological principle of minimum work applied to the angle of branching of arteries. J Gen Physiol 9: 835–841. .
- 1926b. The physiological principle of minimum work: 1, the vascular system and the cost of blood volume. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 12: 207–214. .
- 1960. On the vascularization of the wall of the bovine aorta. Helvet Physiol Pharmacol Acta 18: 136–150. , .
- 2002. Multi-generational analysis and visualization of the vascular tree in 3D micro CT images. Comput Biol Med 32: 55–71. , , .
- 1996. The vasa vasorum of the arteries. J Mal Vasc 21 (Suppl C): 266–269. , .
- 2002. Simvastatin preserves the structure of coronary adventitial vasa vasorum in experimental hypercholesterolemia independent of lipid lowering. Circulation 105: 415–418. , , , , , , .
- 1967. Nature of species differences in the medial distribution of aortic vasa vasorum in mammals. Circ Res 20: 409–421. , .
- 1982. Arterial branching in various parts of the cardiovascular system. Am J Anat 163: 295–307. , .
- 1988a. The branching structure of arterial trees. Comments Theor Biol 1: 15–37. .
- 1988b. Distributing and delivering vessels of the human heart. J Gen Physiol 91: 725–735. .