Chondrocyte terminal differentiation, apoptosis, and type X collagen expression are downregulated by parathyroid hormone
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 281A, Issue 2, pages 1286–1295, December 2004
How to Cite
Harrington, E. K., Lunsford, L. E. and Svoboda, K. K.H. (2004), Chondrocyte terminal differentiation, apoptosis, and type X collagen expression are downregulated by parathyroid hormone. Anat. Rec., 281A: 1286–1295. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20129
- Issue online: 22 NOV 2004
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUN 2003
- Baylor Oral Health Foundation. Grant Number: NIH 430 DE 05743
- 1989. Non-homologous sequences of parathyroid hormone and the parathyroid hormone related peptide bind to a common receptor on ROS 17/2.8 cells. Endocrinology 125: 2215–2217. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Expression cloning of a common receptor for parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related peptide from rat osteoblast-like cells: a single receptor stimulates intracellular accumulation of both cAMP and inositol trisphosphates and increases intracellular free calcium. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 2732–2736. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1994. Structure, function, and expression of the receptor for parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related peptide. Adv Nephrol Necker Hosp 23: 247–264. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. TGFbeta2 mediates the effects of hedgehog on hypertrophic differentiation and PTHrP expression. Development 129: 1913–1924. , , , , , .
- 2000a. Recent studies on the biological action of parathyroid hormone (PTH)-related peptide (PTHrP) and PTH/PTHrP receptor in cartilage and bone. Histol Histopathol 15: 957–970. , , , , , , .
- 2000b. The biological action of parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) and fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 (FGFR3) on bone and cartilage. Kaibogaku Zasshi 75: 415–425. , , .
- 1997. Bcl-2 lies downstream of parathyroid hormone-related peptide in a signaling pathway that regulates chondrocyte maturation during skeletal development. J Cell Biol 136: 205–213. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. PTHrP and Bcl-2: essential regulatory molecules in chondrocyte differentiation and chondrogenic tumors. Verh Dtsch Ges Pathol 82: 160–169. , , , , .
- 1996. Structurally diverse N-terminal peptides of parathyroid hormone (PTH) and PTH-related peptide (PTHRP) inhibit the Na+/H+ exchanger NHE3 isoform by binding to the PTH/PTHRP receptor type I and activating distinct signaling pathways. J Biol Chem 271: 14931–14936. , , .
- 1996. The human PTH2 receptor: binding and signal transduction properties of the stably expressed recombinant receptor. Endocrinology 137: 2748–2757. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Role of glycosylation in expression and function of the human parathyroid hormone/parathyroid hormone-related protein receptor. Biochemistry 35: 15890–15895. , , , , , .
- 1995. Agonist-stimulated phosphorylation of the G protein-coupled receptor for parathyroid hormone (PTH) and PTH-related protein. Endocrinology 136: 4271–4277. , , .
- 1997. Effects of excess PTH on nonclassical target organs. Biochemistry 30: 606–620. , .
- 2002. Parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related protein exert both pro- and anti-apoptotic effects in mesenchymal cells. J Biol Chem 277: 19374–19381. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Basic and clinical biostatistics, 2nd ed. Norwalk, CT: Appleton and Lange. , .
- 2002. Multiple mechanisms of perichondrial regulation of cartilage growth. Dev Dyn 225: 250–259. , , .
- 1994. Cellular mode of action of parathyroid hormone. Adv Nephrol 23: 265–279. , .
- 1992. Identification of programmed cell death in situ via specific labelling of nuclear DNA fragmentation. J Cell Biol 119: 493–501. , , .
- 1996. Increased cell diameter precedes chondrocyte terminal differentiation, whereas cell-matrix attachment complex proteins appear constant. Anat Rec 244: 284–296. , , , .
- 1997. Chondrocyte survival and differentiation in situ are integrin mediated. Dev Dyn 210: 249–263. , , , .
- 1998. Establishment of a whole-chick sternum model that recapitulates normal cartilage development. Biotechniques 24: 632–636. , .
- 1994. Changes in parathyroid hormone receptors during chondrocyte cytodifferentiation. J Biol Chem 269: 17245–17251. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. A G protein-linked receptor for parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related peptide. Science 254: 1024–1026. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Receptors for parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related peptide: from molecular cloning to definition of diseases. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 5: 300–306. , .
- 2001. Pthrp: novel roles in skeletal biology. Curr Pharm Des 7: 655–670. .
- 1990. Potent mitogenic effects of parathyroid hormone (PTH) on embryonic chick and rabbit chondrocytes. J Clin Invest 85: 626–631. , , , , .
- 1997. Factors that contribute to the transneuronal spread of herpes simplex virus. J Neurosci Res 49: 485–496. , , , .
- 1996. PTH/PTHrP receptor in early development and Indian hedgehog-regulated bone growth. Science 73: 663–666. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) and parathyroid hormone (PTH)/PTHrP receptor. Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr 8: 297–320. , .
- 1999. Ablation of the PTHrP gene or the PTH/PTHrP receptor gene leads to distinct abnormalities in bone development. J Clin Invest 104: 399–407. , , , , , .
- 1991. Collagen types IX and X in the developing chick tibiotarsus: analyses of mRNAs and proteins. Development 111: 191–196. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Type X collagen is transcriptionally activated and specifically localized during sternal cartilage maturation. Matrix 12: 404–413. , , , .
- 1989. Parathyroid hormone-like protein: biochemical responses and receptor interactions. Endocrine Rev 10: 476–495. , , .
- 1990. Cyclic AMP-dependent inhibition of collagen synthesis in avian epiphyseal cartilage cells: effect of chicken and human parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related peptide. Bone Miner 9: 23–33. , , .
- 1992. Thyroid hormone, insulin and glucocorticoids are sufficient to support chondrocyte differentiation to hypertrophy: a serum free analysis. J Cell Biol 119: 989–995. , , , .
- 1985a. Developmental acquisition of type X collagen in the embryonic chick tibiotarsus. Dev Biol 107: 373–381. , .
- 1985b. Immunohistochemical localization of short chain cartilage collagen (type X) in avian tissues. J Cell Biol 100: 598–605. , .
- 1999. Parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP)-dependent and -independent effects of transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) on endochondral bone formation. J Cell Biol 145: 783–794. , , .
- 1997. Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) as a regulating factor of endochondral bone formation. Oral Dis 3: 229–231. .
- 1994. Use of the terminal transferase DNA labeling reaction for the biochemical and in situ analysis of apoptosis. In: CelisJE, editor. Cell biology: a laboratory handbook. San Diego: Academic Press. p 330–337. .
- 1995. Identification and functional expression of a receptor selectively recognizing parathyroid hormone, the PTH2 receptor. J Biol Chem 210: 15455–15458. , , .
- 1996. Regulation of rate of cartilage differentiation by Indian hedgehog and PTH-related protein. Science 273: 613–622. , , , , , .
- 2001. Interaction of growth factors regulating chondrocyte differentiation in the developing embryo. Osteoarthrit Cartil 9(Suppl A): S109–S117. .
- 1991. The alpha 1 (VIII) collagen gene is homologous to the alpha 1 (X) collagen gene and contains a large exon encoding the entire triple helical and carboxyl-terminal non-triple helical domains of the alpha 1 (VIII) polypeptide. J Biol Chem 266: 4508–4513. , , .