Identification and detection of the periostin gene in cardiac development
Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 281A, Issue 2, pages 1227–1233, December 2004
How to Cite
Norris, R. A., Kern, C. B., Wessels, A., Moralez, E. I., Markwald, R. R. and Mjaatvedt, C. H. (2004), Identification and detection of the periostin gene in cardiac development. Anat. Rec., 281A: 1227–1233. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20135
- Issue online: 22 NOV 2004
- Version of Record online: 5 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUL 2004
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: RO1-HL66231, RO1-HL33756, Po1-HL52813
- 2004. Periostin potently promotes metastatic growth of colon cancer by augmenting cell survival via the Akt/PKB pathway. Cancer Cell 5: 329–339. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Mechanical stimuli enhances the expression of RGD-CAP/betaig-h3 in the periodontal ligament. Arch Oral Biol 48: 573–579. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Molecular regulation of atrioventricular valvuloseptal morphogenesis. Circ Res 77: 1–6. , .
- 2003. Developmental expression patterns of βeta-ig (betaIG-H3) and its function as a cell adhesion protein. Mech Dev 120: 851–864. , , , .
- 2002. Periostin secreted by epithelial ovarian carcinoma is a ligand for alpha(V)beta(3) and alpha(V)beta(5) integrins and promotes cell motility. Cancer Res 62: 5358–5364. , , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. Dev Dyn 195: 231–272. , .
- 1999. Identification and characterization of a novel protein, periostin, with restricted expression to periosteum and periodontal ligament and increased expression by transforming growth factor beta. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1239–1249. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Progressive spatial restriction of Sek-1 and Krox-20 gene expression during hindbrain segmentation. Dev Biol 173: 26–38. , , , , .
- 2002. Tornado extraction: a method to enrich and purify RNA from the nephrogenic zone of the neonatal rat kidney. Kidney Int 62: 763–769. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Patterns of gene expression associated with BMP-2-induced osteoblast and adipocyte differentiation of mesenchymal progenitor cell 3T3-F442A. J Bone Miner Metab 18: 132–139. , , , , , .
- 2001. Periostin (an osteoblast-specific factor) is expressed within the embryonic mouse heart during valve formation. Mech Dev 103: 183–188. , , , , .
- 2004. Periostin is expressed within the developing teeth at the sites of epithelial-mesenchymal interaction. Dev Dyn 229: 857–868. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Zebrafish periostin is required for the adhesion of muscle fiber bundles to the myoseptum and for the differentiation of muscle fibers. Dev Biol 267: 473–487. , , , , .
- 2004. Development of heart valve leaflets and supporting apparatus in chicken and mouse embryos. Dev Dyn 230: 239–250. , , .
- 1977. Structure and development of endocardial cushions. Am J Anat 148: 85–120. , , .
- 1996. Epithelial-mesenchymal transformations in early avian heart development. Acta Anatomica 156: 173–186. , , , , .
- 2001. Sensitive nonradioactive detection of mRNA in tissue sections: novel application of the whole-mount in situ hybridization protocol. J Histochem Cytochem 49: 1–8. , , , .
- 1994. Myocardial regulation of transforming growth factor-beta expression by outflow tract endothelium in the early embryonic chick heart. Dev Biol 165: 615–626. , , .
- 1997. Expression of smooth muscle alpha-actin in mesenchymal cells during formation of avian endocardial cushion tissue: a role for transforming growth factor beta3. Dev Dyn 209: 296–309. , , , , .
- 2002. Analysis of gene expression profile in p130(Cas)-deficient fibroblasts. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 294: 635–641. , , , , , , , .
- 2002a. RGD-CAP (betaig-h3) exerts a negative regulatory function on mineralization in the human periodontal ligament. J Dent Res 81: 822–825. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002b. RGD-CAP ((beta)ig-h3) is expressed in precartilage condensation and in prehypertrophic chondrocytes during cartilage development. Biochim Biophys Acta 1572: 114–122. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Induction of endocardial cushion tissue in the avian heart is regulated, in part, by TGFbeta-3-mediated autocrine signaling. Dev Biol (Orlando) 188: 64–74. , .
- 2002. A cell line with characteristics of the periodontal ligament fibroblasts is negatively regulated for mineralization and Runx2/Cbfa1/Osf2 activity, part of which can be overcome by bone morphogenetic protein-2. J Cell Sci 115(Pt 21): 4191–4200. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Expression of Periostin, homologous with an insect cell adhesion molecule, as a prognostic marker in non-small cell lung cancers. Jpn J Cancer Res 92: 869–873. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Form and function of developing heart valves: coordination by extracellular matrix and growth factor signaling. J Mol Med 81: 392–403. , , , .
- 2004. Acquired expression of periostin by human breast cancers promotes tumor angiogenesis through up-regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 expression. Mol Cell Biol 24: 3992–4003. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Altered patterns of gene expression in response to myocardial infarction. Circ Res 86: 939–945. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Expression and characterization of murine osteoblast-specific factor 2 (OSF-2) in a baculovirus expression system. Protein Expr Purif 6: 305–311. , , , .
- 1993. Osteoblast-specific factor 2: cloning of a putative bone adhesion protein with homology with the insect protein fasciclin I. Biochem J 294(Pt 1): 271–278. , , , .
- 1999. Myocardialization of the cardiac outflow tract. Dev Biol 212: 477–490. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Effects of pressure overload on extracellular matrix expression in the heart of the atrial natriuretic peptide-null mouse. Hypertension 42: 88–95. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The divergent expression of periostin mRNA in the periodontal ligament during experimental tooth movement. Cell Tissue Res 312: 345–351. , , , , .