Effects of spaceflight on the attachment of tendons to bone in the hindlimb of the pregnant rat
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2005
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 282A, Issue 2, pages 147–156, February 2005
How to Cite
Johnson, R. B., Tsao, A. K., John, K. R., Betcher, R. A., Tucci, M. A. and Benghuzzi, H. A. (2005), Effects of spaceflight on the attachment of tendons to bone in the hindlimb of the pregnant rat. Anat. Rec., 282A: 147–156. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20139
- Issue online: 24 JAN 2005
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 23 APR 2004
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Grant Number: NCC 2-863
- 1961. Influence of weight-bearing and muscle contraction on disuse osteoporosis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 42: 147–151. , .
- 1961. An experimental study of joint stiffness. Am J Orthop 43A: 1022–1034. .
- 1967. The connective-tissue response to immobility: a study of the chondroitin-4 and 6-sulfate and dermatan sulfate changes in periarticular connective tissue of control and immobilized knees of dogs. Clin Orthop 51: 183–197. , , .
- 1982. Manual for the examination of bone. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. p 8. .
- 1993. Recovery from disuse osteopenia coincident to restoration of muscle strength in mdx mice. Bone 14: 625–634. , , .
- 2000. Cardiovascular response to lower body negative pressure stimulation before, during, and after space flight. Eur J Clin Invest 30: 1055–1065. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Skeletal mass, chemistry and growth during and after multiple reproductive cycles in the rat. Bone 25: 553–559. , .
- 2002. Greatly increased cancellous bone formation with rapid improvements in bone structure in the rat maternal skeleton after lactation. J Bone Miner Res 17: 1954–1960. , , .
- 1969. Scanning electron microscopy of primary membrane bone. Z Zellforsch 99: 98–108. , .
- 1985. Regulation of bone mineral loss during lactation. Am J Physiol 248: E182–E187. , .
- 1973. The effects of pregnancy and lactation on some mechanical properties of the femora of the rat. Calc Tiss Res 11: 112–123. , .
- 1970. Relation between bone mass and muscle weight. Lancet 1: 391–393. , , .
- 1990. Histomorphometric and electron microscopic analyses of tibial epiphyseal plates from Cosmos 1887 rats. FASEB J 4: 41–46. , , .
- 1995. Human fiber size and enzymatic properties after 5 and 11 days of spaceflight. J Appl Physiol 78: 1733–1739. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Neural and neuroendocrine adaptations to microgravity and ground-based models of microgravity. J Gravitat Physiol 7: 45–52. , , , , , .
- 1958. Muscle action, bone rarefaction and bone formation. J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 40B: 282–311. , .
- 1992. Adaptation of fibers in fast-twitch muscles of rats to spaceflight and hindlimb suspension. J Appl Physiol 73(Suppl 2): 58S–65S. , , , , , , .
- 1977. Humeral hypertrophy in response to exercise. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 59A: 204–218. , , , , .
- 1982. Isotopic evidence for resorption of soft tissues and bone in immobilized dogs. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 64A: 225–230. , , , , .
- 1997. Maternal-fetal calcium and bone metabolism during pregnancy, puerperium and lactation. Endocrine Rev 18: 832–872. , .
- 2000. The effects of 10 days of spaceflight on the shuttle Endeavour on predominantly fast-twitch muscles in the rat. Histochem Cell Biol 114: 349–355. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Functional strain as a determinant for bone remodeling. Calcif Tissue Int 36(Suppl 1): S56–S61. .
- 1971. Influence of physical activity on ligament insertions in the knees of dogs. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 53A: 275–286. , , .
- 1989. Effects of short-term immobilization versus continuous passive motion on the biomechanical and biochemical properties of the rabbit tendon. Clin Orthop 244: 265–271. , , , , .
- 1968. Handbook of histological staining methods. New York: McGraw-Hill. p 36–37. .
- 1993. Effect of space flight on the development of endocrine functions in rats. Endocrine Reg 27: 17–22. , , , , , .
- 1988. Influence of spaceflight on rat skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol 65: 2318–2325. , , .
- 1987. Effects of orthodontic forces on the morphology and diameter of Sharpey's fibers of the alveolar bone of the rat. Anat Rec 219: 10–20. , .
- 1990. Regional distribution of mineral and matrix in the femurs of rats flown on Cosmos 1887 biosatellite. FASEB J 4: 34–40. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Changes in bone mineral and bone formation rates during pregnancy and lactation in rats. Bone 7: 283–287. , , , , .
- 1998. Comparison of bone loss during normal lactation with estrogen deficiency osteopenia and immobilization osteopenia in the rat. Anat Rec 251: 265–274. , .
- 2001. The effects of pregnancy and lactation on bone mineral density. Osteoporos Int 12: 732–737. , , , .
- 1978. Inhibition of bone formation during spaceflight. Science 201: 1138–1141. , .
- 1987. Fragility and composition of growing rat bone after one week in spaceflight. Am J Physiol 252: R240–R246. , , , , , .
- 1999. The effects of spaceflight on mammary metabolism in pregnant rats. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 222: 85–89. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Calcium in pregnancy and lactation. Ann Rev Nutr 20: 249–272. .
- 1988. Forearm bone loss in hemiplegia: a model for the study of immobilization osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 3: 305–310. , , .
- 1987. Hypogravity-induced atrophy of rat soleus and extensor digitorum longus muscles. Muscle Nerve 10: 560–568. , , , , , .
- 1990. Skeletal muscle fiber, nerve and blood vessel breakdown in space-flown rats. FASEB J 4: 84–91. , , , , , .
- 1984. Regulation of bone formation by applied dynamic loads. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 66A: 397–402. , .
- 1985. Regulation of bone mass by mechanical strain magnitude. Calcif Tissue Int 37: 411–417. , .
- 1990. Effects of tooth function on adjacent alveolar bone and Sharpey's fibers of the rat periodontium. Anat Rec 227: 391–396. , .
- 1990. Maturation of bone and dentin matrices in rats flown on the Soviet biosatellite Cosmos 1887. FASEB J 4: 29–33. , , .
- 1998. Recording heart rate and blood pressure during parabolic flight. Life Sci 63: 851–857. , , , , .
- 1998. Comparison of soleus muscles from rats exposed to microgravity for 10 versus 14 days. Histochem Cell Biol 110: 73–80. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Spaceflight results in formation of defective bone. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 180: 544–549. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cancellous and cortical bone mechanical properties and tissue dynamics during pregnancy, lactation, and postlactation in the rat. Biol Reprod 65: 689–695. , , .
- 1990. Acute modification of biomechanical properties of the bone-ligament insertion to rat limb unweighting. FASEB J 4: 2499–2505. , , , , , , .
- 1967. A technique for the fixation and decalcification of rat incisors for electron microscopy. J Histochem Cytochem 15: 542–549. , .
- 1998. Central venous pressure and cardiac function during spaceflight. J Appl Physiol 87: 1240–1241. , .
- 1988. The classic: concerning the interrelationship between form and function of the individual parts of the organism. Clin Orthop 228: 2–11. .
- 1982. Mechanical properties of tendons and ligaments: II, the relationships of immobilization and exercise on tissue remodeling. Biorheology 19: 397–408. , , , .
- 1981. Skeletal alterations in rats during space flight. Adv Space Res 1: 135–140. , , .
- 1983. Effects of spaceflight on periosteal bone formation in rats. Am J Physiol 244: R305–R309. , .
- 1997. Trace element composition and histological analysis of rat bones from the space shuttle. Life Sci 60: 635–642. , , , , , , , .