Skeletal muscle development in normal and double-muscled cattle
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 281A, Issue 2, pages 1363–1371, December 2004
How to Cite
Martyn, J. K., Bass, J. J. and Oldham, J. M. (2004), Skeletal muscle development in normal and double-muscled cattle. Anat. Rec., 281A: 1363–1371. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20140
- Issue published online: 22 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 18 SEP 2003
- New Zealand Foundation for Research, Science and Technology
- 2002. Endogenous expression and localization of myostatin and its relation to myosin heavy chain distribution in C2C12 skeletal muscle cells. J Cell Physiol 190: 170–179. , , , , , .
- 1974. Phenotypic expression of muscle fibre types and some implications to meat quality. J Anim Sci 38: 1158–1164. .
- 1974. Comparative aspects of muscle fibre types in fetuses of the normal and “double muscled” cattle. Growth 38: 501–506. , , , .
- 2002. Single cysteine to tyrosine transition inactivates the growth inhibitory function of Piedmontese myostatin. Am J Physiol 283: C135–C141. , , , , .
- 1981. Facts and reflections on muscular hypertrophy in cattle: double muscling or culard—developments in meat science-2. London: Applied Science. p 1–28 .
- 1966. Muscular hypertrophy of cattle. Aust Vet J 42: 37–39. .
- 1999. Skeletal muscle myostatin mRNA expression is fibre type specific and increases during hindlimb unloading. Am J Physiol 277: 601–606. , , .
- 1986. Selective synthesis and degradation of slow skeletal myosin heavy chains in developing muscle fibers. Muscle Nerve 9: 155–164. .
- 1991. Human ontogenesis: III, cell death in fetal muscle. Acta Neuropathol 81: 572–577. , .
- 1997. A deletion in the bovine myostatin gene causes the double-muscled phenotype in cattle. Nat Genet 17: 71–74. , , , , .
- 1972. Erroneous interpretations which may result from application of the “myofibrillar ATPase” histochemical procedure to developing muscle. Exp Neurol 34: 465–475. , .
- 1972. A histochemical study of development of muscle fiber type and size in normal and double muscled cattle. Growth 36: 351–372. , .
- 2003. Mechanisms involved in the inhibition of myoblast proliferation and differentiation by myostatin. Exp Cell Res 286: 263–275. , , , , , .
- 1997. Mutations in myostatin (GDF8) in double-muscled Belgian Blue and Piedmontese cattle. Genome Res 7: 910–916. , , , .
- 1972. Genetics of the double muscle syndrome in cattle. J Anim Sci 37: 177. , , .
- 2002. Myostatin inhibits myoblast differentiation by down-regulating MyoD expression. J Biol Chem 277: 49831–49840. , , , , , .
- 2003. Glucocorticoid-induced skeletal muscle atrophy is associated with upregulation of myostatin gene expression. Am J Physiol 285: E363–E371. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Myosin heavy chain composition of single fibres and their origins and distribution in developing fascicles of sheep tibialis cranialis muscles. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 13: 551–572. , , , , , .
- 2003. Myostatin negatively regulates satellite cell activation and self-renewal. J Cell Biol 162: 1135–1147. , , , , .
- 1997. Double muscling in cattle due to mutations in the myostatin gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 12457–12461. , .
- 1997. Regulation of skeletal muscle mass in mice by a new TGF-b superfamily member. Nature 387: 83–90. , , .
- 2002. A missense mutant myostatin causes hyperplasia without hypertrophy in the mouse muscle. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 293: 247–251. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular expression of myostatin and MyoD is greater in double-muscled than normal-muscled cattle fetuses. Am J Physiol 280: R1488–R1493. , , , , , .
- 1968. Etude du charactere culard: study of the double-muscled character III microscopical comparison of muscles from normal and double-muscled Charolais steers. Ann Zootech 17: 213–223. , .
- 1994. Comparison of the foetal development of fibre types in four bovine muscles. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 15: 473–486. , , , .
- 1995a. Comparison of the foetal development of muscle in normal and double-muscled cattle. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 16: 629–639. , , , .
- 1995b. Presence of an unidentified myosin isoform in certain bovine foetal muscles. Meat Sci 41: 315–324. , , , , .
- 2001. Myostatin, insulin-like growth factor-1, and leukemia inhibitory factor mRNAs are upregulated in chronic human disuse muscle atrophy. Muscle Nerve 24: 893–899. , , , , .
- 2003. Myostatin is an inhibitor of myogenic differentiation. Am J Physiol 282: C993–C999. , , , .
- 1991. Muscle differentiation in the bovine fetus: a histological and histochemical approach. Growth Dev Aging 55: 151–160. , , , , , .
- 1993. Myosin expression in semitendinosus muscle during fetal development of cattle: immunocytochemical and electrophoretic analyses. Reprod Nutr Dev 33: 25–41. , , , , , , .
- 1969. A note on the body composition of a double-muscled female and a normal female from a linebred Aberdeen-Angus herd. Anim Prod 11: 111–114. , , .
- 1977. The vastus medialis controversy. Physiotherapy 63: 249–254. , .
- 2002. The myostatin gene is a downstream target gene of basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor MyoD. Mol Cell Biol 22: 7066–7082. , , , , , , .
- 1978. A quantitative study of muscle development in the bovine foetus (Bos indicus). Anat Histol Embryol 7: 193–205. .
- 2000. Myostatin, a negative regulator of muscle growth, functions by inhibiting myoblast proliferation. J Biol Chem 275: 40235–40243. , , , , , , .
- 1974. Red to white fiber ratio as an index of double muscling in beef cattle. J Anim Sci 38: 1165–1175. .
- 1984. A developmentally regulated disappearance of slow myosin in fast-type muscles of the mouse. FEBS Lett 177: 51–56. , , , , .
- 1998. Primary myotubes preferentially mature into either the fastest or the slowest muscle fibers. Dev Dyn 213: 147–157. , .