Sexual dimorphism and age dependence of osteocyte lacunar density for human vertebral cancellous bone†
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2005
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 282A, Issue 2, pages 157–162, February 2005
How to Cite
Vashishth, D., Gibson, G. J. and Fyhrie, D. P. (2005), Sexual dimorphism and age dependence of osteocyte lacunar density for human vertebral cancellous bone. Anat. Rec., 282A: 157–162. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20146
Presented at the 46th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society.
- Issue published online: 24 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 20 JAN 2003
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: AR 40776
- 1994. Function of osteocytes in bone. J Cell Biochem 55: 287–299. , , .
- 1987. The microanatomy of trabecular bone loss in normal aging men and women. Clin Orthop Rel Res 215: 260–271. , , .
- 1997. Variations in trabecular bone compositions with anatomical site and age: potential implications for bone quality assesment. J Endocrinol 155: 411–421. , , , .
- 1999. Signal transduction pathways involved in fluid flow-induced PGE2 production by cultured osteocytes. Am J Physiol 276: E171–E178. , , , .
- 1988. Measurement of anisotropic vertebral trabecular bone loss during aging by quantitative image analysis. Calcif Tissue Int 43: 143–149. , , , .
- 2001. The loss of Smad3 results in a lower rate of bone formation and osteopenia through dysregulation of osteoblast differentiation and apoptosis. J Bone Miner Res 16: 1754–1764. , , , , .
- 1995. Function of osteocytes in bone: their role in mechanotransduction. Am Inst Nutrit 22: 2020S–2023S. , , , .
- 1996. Changes in quantitative bone histomorphometry in aging healthy men. J Clin Endocrin Metab 81: 2264–2270. , , , , , .
- 1991. Correlations between vertebral regional bone mineral density (rBMD) and whole bone fracture load. Spine 16: 146–154. , , , .
- 1993. Osteocyte death and hip fracture. Calcif Tissue Int 53S: S113–S117. , , .
- 1998. Bone formation rate in older normal women: concurrent assesment with bone histomorphometry, calcium kinetics, and biochemical markers. J Clin Endocrin Metab 67: 741–748. , , , , , .
- 1998. Osteoblastic responses to TGF-β during bone remodeling. Mol Biol Cell 9: 1903–1918. , , , .
- 1999. Age-related changes in bone turnover in men. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1203–1210. , .
- 1996. Inducible cyclo-oxygenase (COX-2) mediates the induction of bone formation by mechanical loading in vivo. J Bone Miner Res 11: 1688–1693. .
- 1995. The insulin-like growth factor system and the coupling of formation to resorption. Bone 19: 93S–98S. , , .
- 1971. Variation in bone matrix volume associated with osteocyte lacunae in mammalian and reptilian bone. Israel J Med Sci 7: 492–493. , .
- 1995. Sequential analysis of gene expression after an osteogenic stimulus: c-fos expression is induced in osteocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 217: 260–264. , , , , , , .
- 1994. A communitybased population study of vertebral fractures in 85-year-old men and women. Age Ageing 23: 388–392. , , , .
- 2003. The ratio of octeocytic incorporation to bone matrix formation in femoral neck cancellous bone: an enhanced osteoblast work rate in the vicinity of hip osteoarthritis. Calcif Tissue Int 72: 190–196. , , , , , .
- 1995. Human bone cell phenotype differ depending on their skeletal site of origin. J Clin Endocrin Metab 80: 2511–2517. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Pulsating fluid flow increases nitric oxide (NO) synthesis by osteocytes but not fibroblasts: correlation with prostaglandin regulation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 217: 640–648. , , , , .
- 1985. The structure of the trabeculae of cancellous bone: I, the calcaneus. Anat Anz 159: 211–229. .
- 1990. The structure of the trabeculae of cancellous bone: II, long bones and mastoid. Calcif Tissue Int 46: 367–372. , .
- 1995. The structure of spongious trabeculae in relation to age in man. Boll Soc Ital Biol Sper 71: 175–180. , .
- 1997. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, -II, IGF binding proteins (IGFBP)-3, -4, and -5 levels in the conditioned media of normal human cells are skeletal site-dependent. J Bone Miner Res 12: 423–430. , , , , .
- 1990. Structure-function relationships in the osteocytes. Ital J Miner Etect Metab 4: 93–106. , , , .
- 1997. Trabecular bone volume and microdamage accumulation in femoral heads of women with and without femoral neck fractures. Bone 21: 521–526. , , , .
- 1989. Sex differences in age-related loss of vertebral trabecular bone mass and structure-biomechanical consequences. Bone 10: 425–432. .
- 1995. A proposal for the regulatory mechanism of Wolff's law. J Orthop Res 13: 503–512. , .
- 1996a. Osteocyte density and histomorphometric parameters in cancellous bone of proximal femur in five mamalian species. J Orthop Res 14: 972–979. , , , .
- 1996b. Osteocyte density changes in aging and osteoporosis. Bone 18: 109–113. , , , .
- 1983. Relationships between surface, volume and thickness of iliac trabecular bone in aging and in osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 72: 1396–1409. , , , , , .
- 1998. Concentration of transforming growth factor beta in human bone tissue: relationship to age, menopause, bone turnover and bone volume. J Bone Miner Res 13: 716–730. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002a. Age and distance from the surface but not menopause reduce osteocyte density in human cancellous bone. Bone 31: 313–318. , , , .
- 2002b. Relationships between osteocyte density and bone formation rate in human cancellous bone. Bone 31: 709–711. , , , .
- 1994. Influence of sex and age on biochemical metabolism parameters. Miner Electrol Metab 20: 117–121. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Osteoregulatory nature of mechanical stimuli: function as a determinant for adaptive bone remodeling. J Orthop Res 5: 300–310. , .
- 1994. Histomorphometric study of intratrabecular osteons in the iliac bone in three metabolic bone diseases. Tohoku J Exp Med 172: 317–326. , .
- 1998. The role of estrogen in the control of rat osteocyte apoptosis. J Bone Miner Res 13: 1243–1250. , , , , .
- 2000. Osteocyte lacunar density in femoral cortical bone predicts the accumulation of microcracks with age. Bone 26: 375–380. , , .
- 2002. Determination of bone volume by osteocyte population. Anat Rec 267: 292–295. , , , , .
- 2000. Loss of osteocyte integrity in association with microdamage and bone remodeling after fatigue in vivo. J Bone Miner Res 15: 60–67. , , .
- 1969. The cancellous bone of iliac. Calcif Tissue Res 4: 147–161. , .
- 1998. Inhibition of osteoblastogenesis and promotion of apoptosis of osteoblasts and osteocytes by glucocorticoids. Potential mechanisms of their deleterious effects on bone. J Clin Invest 102: 274–282. , , , .
- 1996. In vivo micocracks in human vertebral trabecular bone. Bone 19: 89–95. , , .