Versican expression during skeletal/joint morphogenesis and patterning of muscle and nerve in the embryonic mouse limb
Version of Record online: 4 JAN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 282A, Issue 2, pages 95–105, February 2005
How to Cite
Snow, H. E., Riccio, L. M., Mjaatvedt, C. H., Hoffman, S. and Capehart, A. A. (2005), Versican expression during skeletal/joint morphogenesis and patterning of muscle and nerve in the embryonic mouse limb. Anat. Rec., 282A: 95–105. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20151
- Issue online: 24 JAN 2005
- Version of Record online: 4 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2004
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: 1R15HD040846-01A1
- 1994. Cellular aspects of the development of diarthrodial joints and articular cartilage. J Anat 184: 447–456. , , .
- 1996. The development of articular cartilage: II, the spatial and temporal patterns of glycosaminoglycans and small leucine-rich proteoglycans. J Anat 189: 23–35. , , , .
- 1995. The versican C-type lectin domain recognizes the adhesion protein tenascin-R. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 10590–10594. , , .
- 1987. The detection of a precartilage, blastema-specific marker. Dev Biol 120: 377–384. , .
- 1995. Functional involvement of sciatic nerve-derived versican- and decorin-like molecules and other chondroitin sulphate proteoglycans in ECM-mediated cell adhesion and neurite outgrowth. Eur J Neurosci 7: 805–814. , , , , , .
- 1992. In situ hybridization with digoxigenin-labeled probes: sensitive and reliable detection method applied to myelinating rat brain. Acta Neuropathol 84: 581–587. , , , , .
- 1997. Production of a monoclonal antibody by in vitro immunization that recognizes a native chondroitin sulfate epitope in the mebryonic chick limb and heart. J Histochem Cytochem 45: 1567–1581. , , , , .
- 1999. Dynamic expression of a native chondroitin sulfate epitope reveals microheterogeneity of extracellular matrix organization in the embryonic chick heart. Anat Rec 254: 181–195. , , , .
- 1999. Dynamic expression of proteogylcans during chicken skeletal muscle development and maturation. Poultry Sci 78: 769–776. , , .
- 1987. The spatial and temporal pattern of collagens I and II and keratin sulphate in the developing chick metatarsophalangeal joint. Development 99: 383–391. , , .
- 1990. A role for hyaluronan in joint development. J Anat 171: 17–23. , , , .
- 1991. Modulation of chondrogenesis by the cytoskeleton and extracellular matrix. J Cell Sci 100: 249–254. , .
- 1987. Whole mount analyses of cytoskeletal reorganization and function during oogenesis and early embryogenesis in Xenopus. In: SchattenH, SchattenG, editors. The cell biology of fertilization. San Diego, CA: Academic Press. p 63–103. , .
- 1998. An essential role for the interaction between hyaluronan and hyaluronan binding proteins during joint development. J Histochem Cytochem 46: 641–651. , , .
- 1994. The formation of human synovial joint cavities: a possible role for hyaluronan and CD44 in altered interzone cohesion. J Anat 185: 355–367. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Proteoglycan production in disomic and trisomy 7-carrying human synovial cells. Matrix Biol 21: 325–335. , , , , , .
- 1999. Formation of hyaluronan- and versican-rich pericellular matrix is required for proliferation and migration of vascular smooth muscle cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 19: 1004–1013. , , .
- 1999. The glial scar and CNS repair. Brain Res Bull 49: 377–391. , .
- 1999. BMP/GDF-signaling interactions during synovial joint development. Cell Tissue Res 296: 111–119. , , , .
- 1992. The membranous skeleton: the role of cell condensations in vertebrate skeletogenesis. Anat Embryol 186: 107–124. , .
- 1995. Divide, accumulate, differentiate: cell condensation in skeletal development revisited. Int J Dev Biol 39: 881–893. , .
- 1997. Over-expression of the chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan versican is associated with defective neural crest migration in the Pax3 mutant mouse (splotch). Mech Dev 69: 39–51. , , .
- 1995. Multiple forms of mouse PG-M, a large chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan generated by alternative splicing. J Biol Chem 270: 958–965. , , , , .
- 2003a. The chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans neurocan, brevican, phosphocan, and versican are differentially regulated following spinal cord injury. Exp Neurol 182: 399–411. , , .
- 2003b. Axonal regeneration through regions of chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan deposition after spinal cord injury: a balance of permissiveness and inhibition. J Neurosci 23: 9276–9288. , , .
- 1999. The atlas of mouse development. New York: Academic Press. .
- 2000. Binding of a large chondroitin sulfate/dermatan sulfate proteoglycan, versican, to L-selectin, P-selectin, and CD44. J Biol Chem 45: 35448–35456. , , , , , .
- 1986. A large chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan (PG-M) synthesized before chondrogenesis in the limb bud of chick embryo. J Biol Chem 261: 13517–13525. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Simplified mammalian DNA isolation procedure. Nucl Acid Res 19: 4293. .
- 1995. Versican is selectively expressed in embryonic tissues that act as barriers to neural crest migration and axon outgrowth. Development 121: 2303–2312. , , , .
- 1994. Analysis of glycosaminoglycans with polysaccharide lyases. Curr Protocols Mol Biol 3: 1713B. .
- 2002. Studies on the role of Cux1 in regulation of the onset of joint formation in the developing limb. Dev Biol 243: 44–54. , , , .
- 1977. Development of the metatarsophalangeal joint of the chick embryo: morphological, ultrastructural and histochemical studies. Am J Anat 150: 333–348. .
- 1978. Development of the diarthrodial joints in the rat embryo. J Anat 151: 475–486. .
- 1998. The Cspg2 gene, disrupted in the hdf mutant, is required for right cardiac chamber and endocardial cushion formation. Dev Biol 201: 1–11. , , , , .
- 1999. Bovine CNS myelin contains neurite growth-inhibitory activity associated with chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans. J Neurosci 19: 8979–8989. , , , .
- 1991. Peanut agglutinin and chondroitin-6-sulfate are molecular markers for tissues that act as barriers to axon advance in the avian embryo. Dev Biol 147: 187–206. , .
- 1994. Glycoconjugates mark a transient barrier to neural crest migration in the chicken embryo. Development 120: 103–114. , , , .
- 1995. Alterations in hyaluronan synthesis during developing joint cavitation. J Histochem Cytochem 43: 263–273. , , , , .
- 2000. Chondroitin sulfates expressed on oligodendrocytes derived tenascin-R are involved in neural cell recognition: functional implications during CNS development and regeneration. J Neurosci Res 60: 21–36. , , , , .
- 1998. Versican V2 is a major extracellular matrix component of the mature bovine brain. J Biol Chem 273: 15758–15764. , , , .
- 2000. Brain derived versican V2 is a potent inhibitor of axonal growth. J Cell Sci 113: 807–816. , , , , .
- 1990. The formation of premuscle masses during chick wing bud development. Anat Embryol 182: 235–247. , .
- 1994. Role for short-range interactions in the formation of cartilage and muscle masses in transfilter micromass cultures. Dev Biol 163: 467–479. , , .
- 2003. The astrocyte/meningeal cell interface is a barrier to neurite outgrowth which can be overcome by manipulation of inhibitory molecules or axonal signaling pathways. Mol Cell Neurosci 24: 913–925. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. In situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry of versican, aggrecan, and link protein, and histochemistry of hyaluronan in the developing mouse limb bud cartilage. J Anat 203: 425–432. , , , , .
- 1990. The distribution of mesenchyme proteoglycan (PG-M) during wing bud outgrowth. Anat Embryol 181: 227–233. , , , , .
- 1995. The gene structure and organization of mouse PG-M, a large chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan. J Biol Chem 270: 10328–10333. , , , , .
- 1986. A morphogenic approach to the origin and basic organization of the tetrapod limb. Evol Biol 20: 319–387. , .
- 1978. A tissue culture analysis of the steps in limb chondrogenesis. In Vitro 14: 51–61. , , .
- 1982. Two distinct regulatory steps in cartilage differentiation. Dev Biol 94: 311–325. , , , , .
- 1984. Cell-matrix interactions during limb chondrogenesis: matrices and cell differentiation. New York: Alan R. Liss. p 47–60. .
- 1972. The house mouse: development and normal stages from fertilization to 4 weeks of age. New York: Springer Verlag. .
- 1985. Development of the major pathways for neurite outgrowth in the chick hindlimb. Dev Biol 5: 2345–2358. , .
- 2002. Role of the extracellular matrix in muscle growth and development. Am Soc Animal Sci 80: E8–E13. .
- 1986. Chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan (PG-M-like proteoglycan) is involved in the binding of hyaluronic acid to cellular fibronectin. J Biol Chem 15: 13526–13535. , , , , .
- 1989. Regulation of cell-substrate adhesion by proteoglycans immobilized on extracellular substrates. J Biol Chem 264: 8012–8018. , , , , .
- 1997. A heart segmental defect in the anterior-posterior axis of a transgenic mutant mouse. Dev Biol 186: 58–72. , , , .
- 1997. Identification, partial characterization, and distribution of versican and link protein in bovine dental pulp. J Dent Res 76: 1730–1736. , , , , .
- 1994. Ectopic Hoxa-1 induces rhombomere transformation in mouse hindbrain. Development 120: 2431–2442. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The G3 domain of versican inhibits mesenchymal chondrogenesis via the epidermal growth factor-like motifs. J Biol Chem 273: 33054–33063. , , , , .
- 1999. Promotion of chondrocyte proliferation by versican mediated by G1 domain and EGF-like motifs. J Cell Biochem 73: 445–457. , , , , , .
- 2001. Versican modulates embryonic chondrocyte morphology via the epidermal growth factor-like motifs in G3. Exp Cell Res 263: 33–42. , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Alterations of lectin binding during chondrogenesis in mouse limb buds. Histochemistry 81: 353–361. , .
- 1989. Multiple domains of the large fibroblast proteoglycan, versican. EMBO J 8: 2975–2981. , .