Myocardial heterogeneity in permissiveness for epicardium-derived cells and endothelial precursor cells along the developing heart tube at the onset of coronary vascularization
Article first published online: 3 JAN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 282A, Issue 2, pages 120–129, February 2005
How to Cite
Lie-Venema, H., Eralp, I., Maas, S., Gittenberger-De Groot, A. C., Poelmann, R. E. and Deruiter, M. C. (2005), Myocardial heterogeneity in permissiveness for epicardium-derived cells and endothelial precursor cells along the developing heart tube at the onset of coronary vascularization. Anat. Rec., 282A: 120–129. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20154
- Issue published online: 24 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 3 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUN 2004
- Netherlands Heart Foundation. Grant Number: 2001B015
- 1999. TGFbeta2 and TGFbeta3 have separate and sequential activities during epithelial-mesenchymal cell transformation in the embryonic heart. Dev Biol 208: 530–545. , , , , , .
- 2000. Mechanisms of angiogenesis and arteriogenesis. Nat Med 6: 389–395. .
- 2002. The hemangioblast: a common progenitor of hematopoietic and endothelial cells. J Hematother Stem Cell Res 11: 91–101. .
- 2001. A novel role for VEGF in endocardial cushion formation and its potential contribution to congenital heart defects. Development 128: 1531–1538. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Epicardial derived cells, EPDCs, contribute a novel population to the myocardial wall and the atrioventricular cushions. Circ Res 82: 1043–1052. , , , , .
- 2000. Epicardial outgrowth inhibition leads to compensatory mesothelial outflow tract collar and abnormal cardiac septation and coronary formation. Circ Res 87: 969–971. , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2004. Formation and remodeling of the coronary vascular bed in the embryonic avian heart. Dev Dyn 230: 34–43. , , .
- 1995. Defective development of the embryonic and extraembryonic circulatory systems in vascular cell adhesion molecule (VCAM-1) deficient mice. Development 121: 489–503. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Ets-1 and Ets-2 transcription factors are essential for normal coronary and myocardial development in chicken embryos. Circ Res 92: 749–756. , , , , , , .
- 2003. De novo vasculogenesis in the heart. Cardiovasc Res 58: 378–389. , .
- 1992. The development of pericardial villi in the chick embryo. Anat Embryol 186: 379–385. .
- 2000. Cardiac looping in the chick embryo: a morphological review with special reference to terminological and biomechanical aspects of the looping process. Anat Rec 259: 248–262. .
- 1992. Retroviral analysis of cardiac morphogenesis: discontinuous formation of coronary vessels. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 9504–9508. , .
- 2003. Expression patterns of Tgfbeta1-3 associate with myocardialisation of the outflow tract and the development of the epicardium and the fibrous heart skeleton. Dev Dyn 227: 431–444. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Yac complementation shows a requirement for Wt1 in the development of epicardium, adrenal gland and throughout nephrogenesis. Development 126: 1845–1857. , , , , .
- 2001. Positive and negative regulation of epicardial-mesenchymal transformation during avian heart development. Dev Biol 234: 204–215. , , , , .
- 2002. Mechanisms of embryonic coronary artery development. Curr Opin Cardiol 17: 235–241. , , .
- 2003. Evidence for an extracellular matrix bridge guiding proepicardial cell migration to the myocardium of chick embryos. Dev Dyn 227: 511–523. , , .
- 2004. Angiopoietin 1, PDGF-B, and TGF-beta gene regulation in endothelial cell and smooth muscle cell interaction. J Cell Biochem 91: 584–593. , .
- 1993. Development of the cardiac coronary vascular endothelium, studied with antiendothelial antibodies, in chicken-quail chimeras. Circ Res 73: 559–568. , , , , .
- 2004. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) induces rapid prourokinase (pro-uPA) activation on the surface of endothelial cells. Blood 103: 955–962. , , , , .
- 2000. FOG-2, a cofactor for GATA transcription factors, is essential for heart morphogenesis and development of coronary vessels from epicardium. Cell 101: 729–739. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Role of VEGF family members and receptors in coronary vessel formation. Dev Dyn 225: 233–240. , , , , .
- 1993. Early development of quail heart epicardium and associated vascular and glandular structures. Anat Embryol 188: 381–393. , , , .
- 1995. Cytokeratins as a marker for epicardial formation in the quail embryo. Anat Embryol 191: 503–508. , , , .
- 1997. The development of the coronary vessels and their differentiation into arteries and veins in the embryonic quail heart. Dev Dyn 208: 338–348. , , , , , .
- 1999. Smooth muscle cells and fibroblasts of the coronary arteries derive from epithelial-mesenchymal transformation of the epicardium. Anat Embryol 199: 367–378. , , , .
- 2004. The epicardium and epicardially derived cells (EPDCs) as cardiac stem cells. Anat Rec 276A: 43–57. , .
- 1993. Development of the liver in the chicken embryo: II, erythropoietic and granulopoietic cells. Anat Rec 235: 131–143. , .
- 1995. Cell adhesion events mediated by α4 integrins are essential in placental and cardiac development. Development 121: 549–560. , , .