Finite element analysis of the mouse tibia: Estimating endocortical strain during three-point bending in SAMP6 osteoporotic mice
Article first published online: 3 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Special Issue: Finite Element Analysis in Vertebrate Biomechanics
Volume 283A, Issue 2, pages 380–390, April 2005
How to Cite
Silva, M. J., Brodt, M. D. and Hucker, W. J. (2005), Finite element analysis of the mouse tibia: Estimating endocortical strain during three-point bending in SAMP6 osteoporotic mice. Anat. Rec., 283A: 380–390. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20171
- Issue published online: 15 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 3 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 12 JAN 2005
- U.S. National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. Grant Number: R01 AR47867
- 1992. Characterization of in vivo strain in the rat tibia during external application of a four-point bending load. J Biomech 25: 1241–1246. , , , , .
- 1998. Bone response to in vivo mechanical loading in two breeds of mice. Calcif Tiss Int 63: 442–449. , , , , .
- 1996. Age-related changes in osteogenic stem cells in mice. J Bone Miner Res 11: 568–577. , , , , , .
- 2003. Reconstructed bone end loads on the canine forelimb during gait. J Biomech 36: 1837–1844. , , .
- 2001. Bone-loading response varies with strain magnitude and cycle number. J Appl Physiol 91: 1971–1976. , , .
- 1999. A quadripotential mesenchymal progenitor cell isolated from the marrow of an adult mouse. J Bone Miner Res 14: 700–709. , , , , , .
- 1999. Age-related osteogenic potential of mesenchymal stromal stem cells from human vertebral bone marrow. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1115–1122. , , , , .
- 1995. Skeletal adaptations to mechanical usage: results from tibial loading studies in rats. Bone 17: 197S–205S. , .
- 1976. Precursor cells of mechanocytes. Int Rev Cytol 47: 327–359. .
- 2002. Noninvasive loading of the murine tibia: an in vivo model for the study of mechanotransduction. J Bone Miner Res 17: 493–501. , , , , .
- 1998. Effects of exercise at different ages on bone density and mechanical properties of femoral bone of aged mice. Tohoku J Exp Med 185: 15–24. , , , .
- 1996. Linkage of decreased bone mass with impaired osteoblastogenesis in a murine model of accelerated senescence. J Clin Invest 97: 1732–1740. , , , , .
- 2003. Experimental and finite-element analysis of the rat ulnar loading model: correlations between strain and bone formation following fatigue loading. J Biomech 37: 541–548. , , , , .
- 2002. Validation of a technique for studying functional adaptation of the mouse ulna in response to mechanical loading. Bone 31: 407–412. , , .
- 1997. Strain magnitude related changes in whole bone architecture in growing rats. Bone 20: 191–198. , , , .
- 2001. Age-related decline in the osteogenic potential of human bone marrow cells cultured in three-dimensional collagen sponges. J Cell Biochem 82: 583–590. , .
- 1999. Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells. Science 284: 143–147. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1975. The elastic and ultimate properties of compact bone tissue. J Biomech 8: 393–405. , .
- 1999. Effects of drying on the mechanical properties of bovine femur measured by nanoindentation. J Mater Sci 10: 485–588. , .
- 1999. Elastic properties of microstructural components of human bone tissue as measured by nanoindentation. J Biomed Mater Res 45: 48–54. , , , .
- 2002. Microstructural elasticity and regional heterogeneity in human femoral bone of various ages examined by nano-indentation. J Biomech 35: 189–198. , , , .
- 1992. Suppression of osteogenic response in the aging skeleton. Calcif Tiss Int 50: 306–313. , , .
- 2002. Long bones from the senescence accelerated mouse SAMP6 have increased size but reduced whole-bone strength and resistance to fracture. J Bone Miner Res 17: 1597–1603. , , .
- 2004a. Nanoindentation and whole-bone bending estimates of material properties in bones from the senescences accelerated mouse SAMP6. J Biomech 37: 1639–1646. , , , .
- 2004b. Morphological and mechanical properties of vertebrae in the SAMP6 mouse model of senile osteoporosis. Bone 35: 425–431. , , .
- 2005. Impaired marrow osteogenesis is associated with reduced endocortical bone formation but does not impair periosteal bone formation in long bones of SAMP6 mice. J Bone Miner Res (in press). , , , .
- 2003. Enabling bone formation in the aged skeleton via rest-inserted mechanical loading. Bone 33: 946–955. , , , , , .
- 2003. A finite-element analysis for the prediction of load-induced fluid flow and mechanochemical transduction in bone. J Theor Biol 220: 249–259. , , .
- 2003. Aging is associated with decreased maximal life span and accelerated senescence of bone marrow stromal cells. Bone 33: 919–926. , , , .
- 1997. Senescence-accelerated mouse (SAM): a novel murine model of senescence. Exp Gerontol 32: 105–109. , , .
- 1994. Noninvasive loading of the rat ulna in vivo induces a strain-related modeling response uncomplicated by trauma or periosteal pressure. Calcif Tiss Int 54: 241–247. , , , .
- 1991. A noninvasive, in vivo model for studying strain adaptive bone modeling. Bone 12: 73–79. , , , , .
- 1994. Mechanical loading thresholds for lamellar and woven bone formation. J Bone Miner Res 9: 87–97. , , , .
- 1995. Aging changes mechanical loading thresholds for bone formation in rats. J Bone Miner Res 10: 1544–1549. , , .
- 1999. The elastic properties of trabecular and cortical bone tissues are similar: results from two microscopic measurement techniques. J Biomech 32: 437–441. , , , , .