Mechanical behavior and quantitative morphology of the equine laminar junction
Article first published online: 3 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Special Issue: Finite Element Analysis in Vertebrate Biomechanics
Volume 283A, Issue 2, pages 366–379, April 2005
How to Cite
Thomason, J. J., McClinchey, H. L., Faramarzi, B. and Jofriet, J. C. (2005), Mechanical behavior and quantitative morphology of the equine laminar junction. Anat. Rec., 283A: 366–379. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20173
- Issue published online: 15 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 3 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 12 JAN 2005
- Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food
- Ontario Horse Racing Industry Association
- Ontario Veterinary College
- 1986. Fracture toughness design in horse hoof keratin. J Exp Biol 125: 29–47. , .
- 2001. Effect of contact stress in bones of the distal interphalangeal joint on microscopic changes in articular cartilage and ligaments. Am J Vet Res 62: 414–424. , , , .
- 2003a. The growth and adaptive capabilities of the hoof wall and sole: functional changes in response to stress. Proceedings of the 49th Annual Convention of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, New Orleans, LA. .
- 2003b. Contrasting structural morphologies of “good” and “bad” footed horses. Proceedings of the 49th Annual Convention of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, New Orleans, LA. .
- 1989. Light and electron microscopy of keratinization in the laminar epidermis of the equine hoof with reference to laminitis. Am J Vet Res 50: 1150–1160. , , .
- 2001. Skeletal function and form. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2004. Epidermal cell proliferation in the equine hoof wall. Equine Vet J 36: 236–241. , .
- 1996. Mechanical properties of the equine hoof wall: implications for hoof function. J Exp Biol 199: 1829–1836. , , , .
- 1998. Stress/strain behaviour in the laminar junction. J Exp Biol 201: 2287–2297. , , , .
- 2000. Shape, orientation and spacing of the primary epidermal laminae in the hooves of neonatal and adult horses (Equus caballus). Cells Tissues Organs 166: 304–318. , .
- 2003. Morphology of the equine laminar junction correlated with external anatomy of the hoof. Master thesis. Guelph: University of Guelph. .
- 2001. In vivo transmission of impact shock waves in the distal forelimb of the horse. Equine Vet J 33(Suppl): 11–15. , , , .
- 1998. Elastic modulus of equine hoof horn, tested in wall samples, sole samples and frog samples at varying levels of moisture. Berl Munchener Tierarzt Wochenschrift 111: 217–221. , , .
- 2000. The effect of flat horseshoes, raised heels and lowered heels on the biomechanics of the equine hoof assessed by finite-element analysis (FEA). Zentralblatt Vet Reihe A 47: 73–82. , , .
- 2001. Finite-element analysis (FEA) as a model to predict effects of farriery on the equine hoof. Equine Vet J 33(Suppl): 58–62. , , .
- 2001. Effects of ground surface deformability, trimming, and shoeing on quasistatic hoof loading patterns in horses. Am J Vet Res 62: 895–900. , , .
- 1998. Hoof size, shape, and balance as possible risk factors for catastrophic musculoskeletal injury of thoroughbred racehorses. Am J Vet Res 59: 1545–1552. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Micromechanics of the equine hoof wall: optimizing crack control and material stiffness through modulation of the properties of keratin. J Exp Biol 202: 377–391. , .
- 1998. Skeletal tissue mechanics. New York: Springer-Verlag. , , .
- 2003. Isolating the effects of equine hoof shape measurements on capsule strain with finite-element analysis. Vet Comp Orthopaed Traumatol 16: 67–75. , , .
- 1993. Ground reaction force patterns of Dutch warmblood horses at normal trot. Equine Vet J 25: 134–137. , , , .
- 1998. Finite-element analysis of static loading in donkey hoof wall. Equine Vet J 26(Suppl): 103–110. , , , , , .
- 1990. An autoradiographic study of equine hoof growth. Equine Vet J 22: 366–368. .
- 1998. The anatomy and physiology of the hoof wall. Equine Vet Ed 4: 3–10. .
- 1967. Anatomy of the normal equine foot, including microscopic features of the laminar region. J Am Vet Med Assoc 151: 1588–1598. .
- 2001. Morphology of the laminar junction in relation to the shape of the hoof capsule and third phalanx in adult horses (Equus caballus). Cells Tissues Organs 166: 304–318. , , .
- 2002. The analysis of strain and stress in the equine hoof capsule using finite-element methods: comparison with principal strains recorded in vivo. Equine Vet J 34: 719–725. , , .
- 2004. Effects of hoofshape, body mass and velocity on surface strain in the wall of the unshod forehoof of standardbreds trotting on a treadmill: equine and comparative exercise physiology. Equine Comp Exercise Physiol 1: 87–97. , , , .
- 1999. In vitro transmission and attenuation of impact vibrations in the distal forelimb. Equine Vet J 30(Suppl): 245–248. , , .