Synthesis of alveolar bone Sharpey's fibers during experimental tooth movement in the rat
Version of Record online: 24 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 284A, Issue 1, pages 485–490, May 2005
How to Cite
Johnson, R. B. (2005), Synthesis of alveolar bone Sharpey's fibers during experimental tooth movement in the rat. Anat. Rec., 284A: 485–490. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20179
- Issue online: 13 APR 2005
- Version of Record online: 24 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Received: 10 SEP 2004
- 1998. Quantitative evaluation of newly formed bone in the alveolar wall surrounding the root during the initial stage of experimental tooth movement in the rat. Arch Oral Biol 43: 473–484. , .
- 1970. Study on histologic changes of periodontal membrane incident to experimental tooth movement. Bull Tokyo Med Dent Univ 17: 149–178. .
- 1975. Effects of fixation and demineralization on the intensity of autoradiographic labelling over the periodontal ligament of the mouse after administration of [3H]-proline. Arch Oral Biol 20: 189–193. , .
- 1978. The site of collagen resorption in the periodontal ligament of the rodent molar. Anat Rec 192: 305–317. , , .
- 1968. Scanning electron microscopy of cementum and Sharpey fibre bone. Z Zellforsch 92: 536–548. , .
- 1988. Effects of prostaglandin E2 on alveolar bone resorption during orthodontic tooth movement. Acta Anat 132: 304–309. , , , .
- 1980. Collagen resorption by periodontal ligament fibroblasts at the hard tissue-ligament interfaces of the mouse periodontium. J Periodontol 51: 429–432. , .
- 2003. Restoration of mechanical strength and morphological features of the periodontal ligament following orthodontic retention in the rat mandibular first molar. Eur J Orthod 25: 167–174. , , , .
- 1976. Collagen resorption by fibroblasts: a theory of fibroblastic maintenance of the periodontal ligament. J Periodontol 47: 380–390. .
- 1979. Effect of metabolic alteration of periodontal fibers on orthodontic tooth movement: an experimental study. Am J Orthod 75: 239–258. , .
- 1992. The effect of orthodontic retention on the mechanical properties of the periodontal ligament in the rat maxillary first molar. J Dent Res 71: 1350–1354. , , , .
- 1986. A reassessment of collagen half-life in rat periodontal tissues: application of the pool-expansion approach. J Periodont Res 21: 396–402. , , , .
- 1983. A new look at the mineralized and unmineralized components of intraosseous fibers of the interdental bone of the mouse. Anat Rec 206: 1–9. .
- 1987. A classification of Sharpey's fibers within the alveolar bone of the mouse: a high-voltage electron microscopic study. Anat Rec 217: 339–347. .
- 1974. The organization and gross mineralization patterns of the collagen fibres in Sharpey fibre bone. Cell Tissue Res 148: 83–96. , .
- 1995. Stress analysis of bone remodeling response to rat molar orthodontics. J Biomech 28: 27–38. , , , .
- 1991a. Measuring dental drift and orthodontic tooth movement in response to various initial forces in adult rats. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 99: 456–465. , , , .
- 1991b. Histomorphometric study of alveolar bone turnover in orthodontic tooth movement. Bone 12: 401–409. , , .
- 1995. Orthodontic tooth remodeling in relation to appliance decay. Angle Orthod 65: 129–140. , .
- 2002. Experimental tooth movement under light orthodontic forces: rates of tooth movement and changes in the periodontium. J Orthod 29: 129–135. , , , , .
- 1990. Experimental study of the effect of prostaglandin administration on tooth movement-with particular emphasis on the relationship to the method of PGE1 administration. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 98: 231–241. .
- 1984. Alkaline phosphatase activity and tetracycline incorporation during initial orthodontic tooth movement in rats. Acta Odontol Scand 42: 1–11. , , .
- 1973. Histologic and histometric study of bone resorption after tooth movement in rats. J Periodont Res 8: 327–333. , , , , .
- 1968. Manual of histologic staining methods of the armed forces institute of pathology, 3rd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill. p 32–38 .
- 1954. Early tissue changes following tooth movement in rats. Angle Orthod 24: 79–95. , , .
- 1987. Effects of orthodontic forces on the morphology and diameter of Sharpey fibers of the alveolar bone of the rat. Anat Rec 219: 10–20. , .
- 1996. The role of the periodontal ligament in bone remodeling: the initial development of time-dependent finite element model. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 109: 155–162. , , .
- 1996. Vascular changes in the periodontal ligament after removal of orthodontic forces. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 110: 280–286. , , .
- 2001. Effect of mechanical loading on periodontal cells. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 12: 414–424. , .
- 1996. Initial stress differences between tipping and torque movements: a three-dimensional finite element analysis. Eur J Orthod 18: 329–339. , , .
- 1964. Effects of force magnitude and direction of tooth movement on different alveolar bone types. Angle Orthod 34: 244–255. .
- 1967. Clinical and histologic observations on tooth movement during and after orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod 53: 721–745. .
- 1981. Cellular response to orthodontic force. Dent Clin N Am 25: 3–17. , , .
- 1979. Techniques of autoradiography. Amsterdam: Elsevier. .
- 1990. Distribution of 3H-proline within transseptal fibers of the rat following release of orthodontic forces. Am J Anat 189: 179–188. , .
- 1982. Histological responses of the periodontal ligament to horizontal orthodontic loads. In: BerkovitzBKM, MoxhamBJ, NewmanHN, editors. The periodontal ligament in health and disease. Oxford: Pergamon Press. p 275–286. .
- 1965. The fine structure of human cementum. Acta Odontol Scand 23: 423–441. .
- 1973. Ultrastructural and microradiographic characteristics of Sharpey's fibers in dog alveolar bone. Ala J Med Sci 10: 11–20. .
- 1990. Effects of tooth function on adjacent alveolar bone and Sharpey's fibers of the rat periodontium. Anat Rec 227: 391–396. , .
- 1944. Bone growth and physiologic tooth movement. Am J Orthod Oral Surg 30: 109–132. , .
- 1977. A comparison of the rates of synthesis and turnover of collagen and non-collagen proteins in adult rat periodontal tissues and skin using a microassay. Arch Oral Biol 22: 655–665. .
- 1988. Collagen remodelling in rat periodontal tissues: compensation for precursor reutilization confirms rapid turnover of collagen. Coll Relat Res 8: 11–21. , .
- 1973. The nature of tooth movement. Am J Orthod 63: 292–314. .
- 1996. Properties of the elastic modulus from buccal compact bone of human mandible. Bull Tokyo Med Dent Univ 37: 93–101. , , , .
- 1990. Endocytotsis in odontoclasts and osteoclasts using microperoxidase as a tracer. J Dent Res 69: 883–889. , , , , .
- 1987. Three-dimensional finite element analysis for stress in the periodontal tissue by orthodontic forces. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 92: 499–505. , , .
- 1980. Dynamic histomorphometry of alveolar bone remodeling in the adult rat. Anat Rec 196: 191–200. , .
- 1954. Histologic response to tooth movement in the laboratory rat: procedure and preliminary observation. J Dent Res 33: 481–486. , .
- 1967. A technique for the fixation and decalcification of rat incisors for electron microscopy. J Histochem Cytochem 15: 542–549. , .
- 1980. Prostaglandin as a mediator of bone resorption induced by experimental tooth movement in rats. J Dent Res 59: 1635–1642. , , .
- 1963. Histology of the periodontium following tooth movement. J Dent Res 42: 1373–1379. , .