Muscle-bone interactions in dystrophin-deficient and myostatin-deficient mice
Article first published online: 2 AUG 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 286A, Issue 1, pages 814–822, September 2005
How to Cite
Montgomery, E., Pennington, C., Isales, C. M. and Hamrick, M. W. (2005), Muscle-bone interactions in dystrophin-deficient and myostatin-deficient mice. Anat. Rec., 286A: 814–822. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20224
- Issue published online: 18 AUG 2005
- Article first published online: 2 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Received: 9 MAR 2005
- Medical College of Georgia
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: NIAMS AR049717-01A2
- 1993. Recovery from disuse osteopenia coincident to restoration of muscle strength in mdx mice. Bone 14: 625–634. , , .
- 2001. Effects of different sports on bone density and muscle mass in highly trained athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc 33: 507–511. , , , , , .
- 1993. Effects of two nonendurance exercise protocols on established bone loss in ovariectomized adult rats. Calcif Tissue Int 52: 239–243. , , , .
- 2002. Muscle-specific expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 counters muscle decline in mdx mice. J Cell Biol 157: 137–147. , , , , .
- 1996. Genetic variability in adult bone density among inbred strains of mice. Bone 18: 397–403. , , .
- 2003. Bone mineral density and bone metabolism in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Osteoporosis Int 14: 761–767. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Function and genetics of dystrophin and dystrophin-related proteins in muscle. Physiol Rev 82: 291–329. , , , .
- 1980. Characteristics of growth-inducing exercise. Physiol Behav 24: 713–720. .
- 1997. Muscle strength, bone mass, and age-related bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 12: 1547–1551. .
- 2004. The effects of increased muscle mass on mouse sagittal suture morphology and mechanics. Anat Rec 279A: 676–684. , , , , , .
- 1990. A noninvasive procedure to detect muscle weakness in the mdx mouse. Muscle Nerve 13: 480–484. , .
- 1993. Loss of cytoplasmic basic fibroblast growth factor from physiologically wounded myofibers of normal and dystrophic muscle. J Cell Sci 106: 121–133. , , .
- 2001. Three mouse models of muscular dystrophy: the natural history of strength and fatigue in dystrophin-, dystyophin/utrophin-, and laminin alpha-2-deficient mice. Neuromusc Disord 11: 703–712. , , , , .
- 1994. Elevated basic fibroblast growth factor in the serum of patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Ann Neurol 35: 362–365. , , , , , , , .
- 1970. Relation between bone mass and muscle weight. Lancet 1: 391–393. , , .
- 2000. Effect of single wrist exercise on fibroblast growth factor-2, insulin-like growth factor, and growth hormone. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 279: R548–R553. , , .
- 1987. The mechanostat: a proposed pathogenic mechanism of osteoporoses and the bone mass effects of mechanical and nonmechanical agents. Bone Miner 2: 73–85. .
- 1997. Perspective on our age-related bone loss: insights from a new paradigm. J Bone Miner Res 12: 1539–1546. .
- 1998. Changing concepts in skeletal physiology: Wollf's law, the mechanostat, and the Utah paradigm. Am J Hum Biol 10: 599–605. .
- 2000. Muscle, bone, and the Utah paradigm: a 1999 overview. Med Sci Sports Exerc 32: 911–917. .
- 2003. The exercise-induced growth hormone response in athletes. Sports Med 8: 599–613. , , .
- 1973. Source of estrogen production in postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 36: 207–214. , , .
- 2000. Femoral morphology and cross-sectional geometry of myostatin deficient mice. Bone 27: 343–349. , , , .
- 2002. Bone mineral content and density in the humerus of myostatin-deficient mice. Calc Tissue Intl 71: 63–68. , , .
- 2003. Increased bone mineral density in the femora of GDF8 knockout mice. Anat Rec 272A: 388–391. .
- 2003. Bone architecture and disc degeneration in the lumbar spine of mice lacking GDF-8 (myostatin). J Orthop Res 21: 1025–1032. , , .
- 2004. Leptin, bone mass, and the thrifty phenotype. J Bone Miner Res 19: 1607–1611. .
- 2004. Leptin deficiency produces contrasting phenotypes in bones of the limb and spine. Bone 34: 376–383. , , , , .
- 2002. Running endurance abnormality in mdx mice. Muscle Nerve 25: 207–211. , , , , , .
- 1995. Genetic lineage, bone mass, and physical activity in mice. Bone 17: 131–135. , .
- 2000. Bone mineral density and fractures in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J Pediatr Orthop 20: 71–74. , .
- 1999. Bone anabolic effects of basic fibroblast growth factor in ovariectomized rats. Endocrinology 140: 5780–5788. , , .
- 2002. Myostatin knockout in mice increases myogenesis and decreases adipogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 291: 710–706. , , , , , .
- 2001. Force and power output of fast and slow skeletal muscles from mdx mice 6–28 months old. J Physiol 535: 591–600. , , , , .
- 1997. Regulation of skeletal muscle mass in mice by a new TGF-β superfamily member. Nature 387: 83–90. , , .
- 2000. Disruption of the fibroblast growth factor-2 gene results in decreased bone mass and bone formation. J Clin Invest 105: 1085–1093. , , , .
- 1996. Assessment of whole body composition with dual energy X-ray absorptiometry in Duchenne muscular dystrophy: correlation of lean body mass with muscle function. Muscle Nerve 19: 777–779. , , , , .
- 1992. Twitch and tetanus in mdx mouse muscle. Muscle Nerve 15: 837–842. , , , .
- 2001. The developing bone: slave or master of its cells and molecules? Pediatr Res 50: 309–314. , .
- 2004. The muscle-bone unit during the pubertal growth spurt. Bone 34: 771–775. , , , , .
- 2002. Relationships among body mass, its components, and bone. Bone 13: 547–555. .
- 2004. Longitudinal pathologic study of the gastrocnemius muscle group in mdx mice. Acta Neuropathol 107: 27–34. , , .
- 1985. Modification of body composition by clenbuterol in normal and dystrophic (mdx) mice. Biosci Rep 5: 755–760. , .
- 1996. Influence of muscle strength on bone strength during childhood and adolescence. Horm Res 45(Suppl 1): 63–66. , , , , , , .
- 2002. The “muscle-bone unit” in children and adolescents. Calcif Tissue Int 70: 405–407. , .
- 1997. Osteoblasts express types I and II activin receptors during early intramembranous and endochondral bone formation. J Bone Min Res 12: 403–411. , , , , .
- 1996. Adaptation of bone to altered loading environment: a biomechanical approach using x-ray absorptiometric data from the patella of a young woman. Bone 19: 55–59. , , .
- 2000. Leptin is a potent stimulator of bone growth in ob/ob mice. Regul Pep 92: 73–78. , , , , .
- 1995. Locomotion of dystrophin-deficient mice. Gaox Yi Kue Xue Za Zhi 11: 330–338. , , , , .
- 2002. Biomechanics of bone: determinants of skeletal fragility and bone quality. Osteoporos Intl 13: 97–104. .
- 1991. Effect of exercise on osteoporosis induced by ovariectomy in rats. Calcif Tissue Int 49: S80. , , .
- 1976. Mechanical design in organisms. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. , , , .
- 1990. Dystrophin-deficient mdx muscle fibers are preferentially vulnerable to necrosis induced by experimental lengthening contractions. J Neurol Sci 100: 9–13. , , .
- 1997. Estrogen regulates the rate of bone turnover, but bone balance in overiectomized rats is modulated by prevailing mechanical strain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 4199–4204. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Inhibition of myostatin in adult mice increases skeletal muscle mass and strength. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 300: 965–971. , , , , .
- 1999. Lean body mass and leg power best predict bone mineral density in adolescent girls. Med Sci Sports Exerc 31: 1558–1563. , .
- 2004. Increase of both angiogenesis and bone mass in response to exercise depends on VEGF. J Bone Miner Res 19: 1471–1480. , , , , , .