Vitamin A storage in hepatic stellate cells in the regenerating rat liver: With special reference to zonal heterogeneity
Article first published online: 7 AUG 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 286A, Issue 2, pages 899–907, October 2005
How to Cite
Higashi, N., Sato, M., Kojima, N., Irie, T., Kawamura, K., Mabuchi, A. and Senoo, H. (2005), Vitamin A storage in hepatic stellate cells in the regenerating rat liver: With special reference to zonal heterogeneity. Anat. Rec., 286A: 899–907. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20230
- Issue published online: 21 SEP 2005
- Article first published online: 7 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 27 FEB 2005
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology of Japan. Grant Number: B 16790118
- 1984. Alteration in zonation of succinate dehydrogenase, phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase and glucose-6-phosphatase in regenerating rat liver. Histochemistry 80: 97–101. , , .
- 2002. Pleiotrophin/heparin-binding growth-associated molecule as a mitogen of rat hepatocytes and its role in regenerating and development of liver. Am J Pathol 160: 2191–2205. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The role of hepatic stellate cells in liver regeneration. J Hepatol 40: 1023–1026. , , .
- 1990. Transport and storage of vitamin A. Science 250: 399–404. , , , .
- 1991. Perisinusoidal stellate cells of the liver: important roles in retinol metabolism and fibrosis. FASEB J 5: 271–277. , .
- 1994. Vitamin A in health and disease. New York: Marcel Dekker. .
- 1996. A decade of molecular biology of retinoic acid receptors. FASEB J 10: 940–954. .
- 1995. Effect of vitamin A deficiency on the integrity of hepatocytes after partial hepatectomy. Am J Pathol 147: 699–706. , , , , , .
- 1987. Vitamin A levels in regenerating rat liver: effects on microsomal drug metabolism. Nutr Cancer 10: 215–220. .
- 2003. Distribution of vitamin A-storing lipid droplets in hepatic stellate cells in liver lobules: a comparative study. Anat Rec 271A: 240–248. , .
- 1931. Experimental pathology of the liver: I, restoration of liver of white rat following surgical removal. Arch Pathol Lab Med 12: 186–202. , .
- 1994. Hepatic regeneration in vitamin A-deficient rats: changes in the expression of transforming growth factor alpha/epidermal growth factor receptor and retinoic acid receptors alpha and beta. Cell Growth Differ 5: 503–508. , , , , .
- 1998. Morphology of sites of adhesion between hepatic stellate cells (vitamin A-storing cells) and three-dimensional extracellular matrix. Anat Rec 250: 430–437. , .
- 2000. Morphology of sites of adhesion between extracellular matrix and hepatic stellate cells. Connect Tissue 32: 395–399. , .
- 2000a. Adhesion between cells and extracellular matrix with special reference to hepatic stellate cell adhesion to three-dimensional collagen fibers. Cell Struct Funct 25: 329–336. , , .
- 2000b. Storage of lipid droplets in and production of extracellular matrix by hepatic stellate cells (vitamin A-storing cells) in Long-Evans Cinnamon-like colored (LEC) rats. Anat Rec 258: 338–348. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Hepatic stellate cells morphology, function, and regulation. In: AriasIM, BoyerJL, ChisariFV, FaustoN, SchachterD, ShafritzDA, editors. The liver, biology and pathobiology, 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippinott. p 455–468. , .
- 2004. Role of hepatic stellate cell/hepatocyte interaction and activation of hepatic stellate cells in the early phase of liver regeneration in the rat. J Hepatol 40: 910–916. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Expression of acidic fibroblast growth factor in regenerating liver and during hepatic differentiation. Lab Invest 67: 427–433. , , , , , .
- 1991. The extracellular matrix in hepatic regeneration. Lab Invest 64: 157–166. , , .
- 1997. Liver regeneration. Science 276: 60–66. , .
- 1991. Retinoic acid repressed the expression of c-fos and c-jun and induced apoptosis in regenerating rat liver after partial hepatectomy. Biochim Biophys Acta 1450: 308–319. , .
- 1990. Expression of the gene of the alpha-smooth muscle-actin isoform in rat liver and in rat fat-storing (ITO) cells. Virch Arch B Cell Pathol 59: 349–357. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Stellate cells (vitamin A-storing cells) are the primary site of collagen synthesis in non-parenchymal cells in the liver. Biomed Res 5: 451–458. , , , .
- 1985. Suppression of experimental hepatic fibrosis by administration of vitamin A. Lab Invest 52: 182–194. , .
- 1990. Internalization of retinol-binding protein in parenchymal and stellate cells of rat liver. J Lipd Res 31: 1229–1239. , , , , , , , .
- 1993a. Transfer of retinol-binding protein from HepG2 human hepatoma cells to cocultured rat stellate cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 3616–3620. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993b. Stellate cells take up retinol-binding protein. In: KnookDL, WisseE, editors. Cells of the hepatic sinusoid, vol. 4. Leiden: Kupffer Cell Foundation. p 423–425. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Molecular mechamisms in the reversible regulation of morphology, proliferation and collagen metabolism in hepatic stellate cells by three-dimensional structure of the extracellular matrix. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 13: S19–S32. , , , .
- 1999. Vitamin A-storing system in mammals and birds in arctic area: a study in the Svalbard archipelago. In: WisseE, KnookDL, de ZangerR, FraserR, editors. Cells of the hepatic sinusoid, vol. 7. Leiden: Kupffer Cell Foundation. p 34–35. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. The retinoids. New York: Raven Press. , , .
- 1990. Immunohistochemical detection of proliferating lipocytes in regenerating rat liver. J Pathol 160: 129–134. , , .
- 2004. Liver regeneration: from myth to mechanism. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 5: 836–847. .
- 2000. Kinetics of expression of connective tissue growth factor gene during liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy and D-galactosamine-induced liver injury in rat. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 277: 448–454. , , , , , , .
- 1971. “Sternzelln” in the liver: perisinusoidal cells with special reference to storage of vitamin A. Am J Anat 132: 429–462. .
- 1980. Perisinusoidal stellate cells (fat-storing cells, interstitial cells, lipocytes), their related structure in and around the liver sinusoids, and vitamin A-storing cells in extrahepatic organs. Int Rev Cytol 66: 303–353. .
- 1993. Intralobular heterogeneity of perisinusoidal stellate cells in porcine liver. Cell Tissue Res 273: 227–237. , .
- 1998. A novel hepatic stellate (Ito) cell-derived protein, epimorphin, plays a key role in the late stage of liver regeneration. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 250: 486–490. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Zonal and regional differences identified from precision mapping of vitamin A-storing lipid droplets of the hepatic stellate cells in pig liver: a novel concept of addressing the intralobular area of heterogeneity. Hepatology 27: 1098–1108. , , .