The first 2 authors contributed equally to this paper.
Induction of Bcl-2 and Bax was related to hyperphosphorylation of tau and neuronal death induced by okadaic acid in rat brain
Article first published online: 1 NOV 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 287A, Issue 2, pages 1236–1245, December 2005
How to Cite
Chen, L.-Q., Wei, J.-S., Lei, Z.-N., Zhang, L.-M., Liu, Y. and Sun, F.-Y. (2005), Induction of Bcl-2 and Bax was related to hyperphosphorylation of tau and neuronal death induced by okadaic acid in rat brain. Anat. Rec., 287A: 1236–1245. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20241
- Issue published online: 24 NOV 2005
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUL 2004
- National Key Project of Basic Science Research and Shanghai Metropolitan Fund for Research and Development. Grant Numbers: G1999054007, 04DZ00415
- 1995. Paired helical filament-like phosphorylation of tau, deposition of beta/A4-amyloid and memory impairment in rat induced by chronic inhibition of phosphatase 1 and 2A. Neuroscience 69: 691–698. , , , , .
- 1998. Phosphorylation of tau, Abeta-formation, and apoptosis after in vivo inhibition of PP-1 and PP-2A. Neurobiol Aging 19: 3–13. , , , , .
- 1993. Okadaic acid induces early changes in microtubule-associated protein 2 and tau phosphorylation prior to neurodegeneration in cultured cortical neurons. J Neurochem 61: 673–682. , , , .
- 1992. Neurofibrillary tangles but not senile plaques parallel duration and severity of Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 42: 631–639. , , , .
- 1988. Inhibitory effect of a marine-sponge toxin, okadaic acid, on protein phosphatases: specificity and kinetics. Biochem J 256: 283–290. , .
- 1991. The protein phosphatase inhibitor okadaic acid induces morphological changes typical of apoptosis in mammalian cells. Exp Cell Res 195: 237–246. , , , , , .
- 1999. Ultrarapid caspase-3 dependent apoptosis induction by serine/threonine phosphatase inhibitors. Cell Death Differ 6: 1099–1108. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Phosphoprotein phosphatase activities in Alzheimer disease brain. J Neurochem 61: 921–927. , , , .
- 1995. Phosphatase activity toward abnormally phosphorylated tau: decrease in Alzheimer disease brain. J Neurochem 65: 732–738. , , , , , .
- 2000. The biochemistry of apoptosis. Nature 407: 770–776. .
- 2000. Mechanism of neurofibrillary degeneration and pharmacologic therapeutic approach. J Neural Transm 59(Suppl): 213–222. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Sequence of neurodegeneration and accumulation of phosphorylated tau in cultured neurons after okadaic acid treatment. Brain Res 839: 253–262. , , .
- 2001. Reduced protein phosphatase 2A activity induces hyperphosphorylation and altered compartmentalization of tau in transgenic mice. J Biol Chem 276: 38193–38200. , , , , , .
- 2002. Serine/threonine protein phosphatases in apoptosis. Curr Opin Pharmacol 2: 458–462. , .
- 2003. Increase in Bcl-2 phosphorylation and reduced levels of BH3-only Bcl-2 family proteins in kainic acid-mediated neuronal death in the rat brain. Eur J Neurosci 18: 1121–1134. , , , .
- 1994. Immunohistochemical determination of in vivo distribution of Bax, a dominant inhibitor of Bcl-2. Am J Pathol 145: 1323–1336. , , , , , .
- 1995. Upregulation of bax protein levels in neurons following cerebral ischemia. J Neurosci 15: 6364–6376. , , , , , .
- 1999. Neuronal death in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is apoptosis: possible contribution of a programmed cell death mechanism. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 58: 459–471. .
- 1997. Selective destruction of stable microtubules and axons by inhibitors of protein serine/threonine phosphatases in cultured human neurons. J Neurosci 17: 5726–5737. , , .
- 1997. Bcl-2 gene family in the nervous system. Annu Rev Neurosci 20: 245–267. , .
- 1998. Using okadaic acid as a tool for the in vivo induction of hyperphosphorylated tau. Neuroscience 85: 1329–1332. , .
- 1996. Injections of okadaic acid, but not beta-amyloid peptide, induce Alz-50 immunoreactive dystrophic neurites in the cerebral cortex of sheep. Neurosci Lett 208: 77–80. , .
- 1998. Okadaic acid-induced apoptosis in neuronal cells: evidence for an abortive mitotic attempt. J Neurochem 70: 1124–1133. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Bcl-2 protects against apoptosis-related microtubule alterations in neuronal cells. Apoptosis 5: 43–51. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Mild traumatic brain injury induces apoptotic cell death in the cortex that is preceded by decreases in cellular Bcl-2 immunostaining. Neuroscience 110: 605–616. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The regulation of phosphorylation of tau in SY5Y neuroblastoma cells: the role of protein phosphatases. FEBS Lett 426: 248–254. , , , , .
- 2000. The cause of neuronal degeneration in Alzheimer's disease. Prog Neurobiol 60: 139–165. , , , , , .
- 2001. Bax ablation prevents dopaminergic neurodegeneration in the 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine mouse model of Parkinson's disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 2837–2842. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Prevention of apoptosis by Bcl-2: release of cytochrome c from mitochondria blocked. Science 275: 1129–1132. , , , , , , , , .