Experimental diabetes has adverse effects on the differentiation of ventral prostate during sexual maturation of rats
Article first published online: 19 OCT 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 287A, Issue 2, pages 1281–1289, December 2005
How to Cite
Soudamani, S., Yuvaraj, S., Malini, T. and Balasubramanian, K. (2005), Experimental diabetes has adverse effects on the differentiation of ventral prostate during sexual maturation of rats. Anat. Rec., 287A: 1281–1289. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20250
- Issue published online: 24 NOV 2005
- Article first published online: 19 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAY 2005
- University Grants Commission, New Delhi. Grant Number: F.3-28/2001 SR-II dated March 2001
- SAP-DRS Programme
- 1991. Effects of diabetes mellitus on epididymal enzymes of adult rats. Ind J Exp Biol 10: 907–909. , , , .
- 1975. Juvenile diabetes and human sperm quality. Int J Fertil 20: 30–32. , , .
- 1995. The reduction of circulating growth hormone and prolactin in streptozotocin-induced diabetic male rats is possibly caused by hypothalamic rather than pituitary changes. J Endocrinol 145: 19–26. , , , , .
- 1974. Fine structure and cytochemistry of male accessory sex organs. In: BrandesD, editor. Male accessory sex organs: structure and function. New York: Academic Press. p 18–114. .
- 1980. Sex steroids imprinting and prostatic growth. Invest Urol 17: 337–342. , .
- 1984. Dissociation of adrenarche and gonadarche in diabetes mellitus. Clin Endocrinol 20: 717–724. , , , , , .
- 1992. The neonatal testosterone surge: a comparative study. Arch Int Physiol Biochim Biophys 100: 127–131. , , .
- 1987. The endocrinology and developmental biology of the prostate. Endocr Rev 8: 338–361. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Diabetes mellitus/male infertility. Arch Androl 25: 277–293. , .
- 1986. Morphometric analysis of the rat ventral prostate and seminal vesicle during prepubertal development: effects of neonatal treatment with estrogen. Biol Reprod 35: 219–225. , , , .
- 1985. Testicular function and glycemic control in diabetic men: a controlled study. Andrologia 17: 488–496. , , , , .
- 1986. Imprinting of male sex tissues by neonatal endogenous androgens in mice: molecular alterations following exposure to cyproterone acetate. Horm Res 24: 38–45. , , , , , .
- 1979. A reproductive endocrine profile in the diabetes (db) mutant mouse. Biol Reprod 20: 552–559. , .
- 1974. Sexual dysfunction in diabetic men. Diabetes 23: 306–309. , , , .
- 1988. Activation of programmed cell death in rat ventral prostate after castration. Endocrinology 125: 552–562. , .
- 1997. Biology of prostatic ductal system. In: NazRK, editor. Prostate: basic and clinical aspects. New York: CRC Press. p 53–71. .
- 2002. Sex steroids and insulin resistance. Clin Sci 102: 151–166. , .
- 2000. Differential expression of estrogen receptor alpha and beta in adult rat accessory sex glands and lower urinary tract. Mol Cell Endocrinol 170: 219–229. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Growth and Sexual maturation in children with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Curr Opin Pediatr 5: 494–498. .
- 2003. Hormonal, cellular, and molecular control of prostatic development. Dev Biol 253: 165–174. , , , .
- 2000. Serum androgen levels in adolescents with type I diabetes: relationship to pubertal stage and metabolic control. J Endocrinol Invest 23: 362–368. , , , , , .
- 1982. Effects of streptozotocin-induced diabetes mellitus on hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis in rats. Endocrinol Jpn 29: 695–700. , .
- 1992. Effects of testosterone, and testosterone plus estrogen, in the castrated rat ventral prostate: histopathalogical and immunocytochemical studies. Tokai J Exp Clin Med 17: 133–137. , , , .
- 1985. Gonadal dysfunction in the spontaneously diabetic BB rats: alteration of the testes morphology, serum testosterone and LH. Horm Metab Res 17: 495–501. , , , .
- 1992. Hypothalamic regulation of impaired growth hormone secretion in diabetic rats: I. studies in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Neuroendocrinology 55: 500–505. , , .
- 1975. Impaired 3H-testosterone uptake and metabolism in the accessory sex gland of diabetic, castrated male rats. Horm Res 6: 157–168. , .
- 1987. Prolactin influences on cytosol and nuclear androgen receptor in the ventral, dorsal and lateral lobes of the rat prostate. Endocrinology 120: 1457–1464. .
- 2001. Influence of neonatal estrogens on rat prostate development. Reprod Fertil Dev 13: 241–282. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Androgen receptor defects: historical, clinical, and molecular perspectives. Endocr Rev 16: 271–321. , , , , , .
- 1979. Effects of neonatal steroids on male sex tissues. Invest Urol 17: 3–8. , .
- 2001. Evidences that epithelial and mesenchymal estrogen receptor-alpha mediates effects of estrogen on prostatic epithelium. Dev Biol 229: 157–166. , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. An improved light microscopical histoquantitative method for the stereological analysis of the rat ventral prostate lobe. Invest Urol 18: 59–65. , , .
- 1992. Hypothalamo-hypophysial-thyroid axis in streptozotocin-induced diabetes. Endocrinology 130: 216–220. , , , .
- 1995. Ultrastructural changes in mouse Leydig cells after streptozotocin administration. Exp Anim 44: 71–73. , , , .
- 1981. Specific insulin binding sites in the rat testis: characterization and variation. Endocrinology 109: 2220–2225. , , .
- 1999. Stereological evaluation of mouse prostate development. J Androl 20: 251–258. , , .
- 1990. Testosterone replacement fails to reverse the adverse effects of streptozotocin-induced diabetes on sexual behaviour in the male rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 35: 577–582. .
- 1990. Effects of continuous versus delayed insulin replacement on sex behaviour and neuroendocrine function in diabetic male rats. Diabetes 39: 942–948. , .
- 1997. The effect of diabetes mellitus on endocrine and reproductive function. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 214: 1–11. , .
- 1999. Streptozotocin-diabetes impairs prolactin binding to Leydig cells in prepubertal and pubertal rats. Horm Metab Res 31: 583–586. , , , , .
- 1986. Morphogenesis of ductal networks in the mouse prostate. Biol Reprod 34: 961–971. , , .
- 1986. Diabetes and male reproductive function. In: PaulsonJD, Negro-VilarE, editors. Andrology: male fertility and sterility. New York: Academic Press. p 85–99. , , , .
- 1983. Ultrastructural and analytical studies on the prostate of castrated rats. Prostate 4: 37–55. , .
- 1969. Determination of glucose in blood using glucose oxidase with an alternative oxygen acceptor. Ann Clin Biochem 6: 24–37. .
- 1989. Evidence for reversible and irreversible biochemical defects in accessory sex organs and kidney of neonatally androgenized male mice. Acta Endocrinol 121: 121–128. , , , .
- 1963. Principles and methods for the morphometric study of the lung and other organs. Lab Invest 12: 131–155. .
- 1993. Steroid 5α reductase-2 deficiency. Endocr Rev 14: 577–593. , , .
- 1975. Effects of testosterone and prolactin on rat prostatic weight, 5 alpha-reductase and arginase. Am J Physiol 229: 1102–1109. , , , , .
- 1974. Biostatistical analysis. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall. p 101–120. .