Connecting thalamus and cortex: The role of ephrins
Article first published online: 13 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Special Issue: Many Faces of Somatosensory Cortex: From Molecules to Maps
Volume 288A, Issue 2, pages 135–142, February 2006
How to Cite
Uziel, D., Garcez, P., Lent, R., Peuckert, C., Niehage, R., Weth, F. and Bolz, J. (2006), Connecting thalamus and cortex: The role of ephrins. Anat. Rec., 288A: 135–142. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20286
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 13 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Received: 29 JUL 2005
- PROBRAL (CAPES/DAAD)
- ALV (UFRJ-FUJB)
- Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Klinische Forschung Jena (IZKF)
- Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF)
- 1993. Organized growth of thalamocortical axons from the deep tier of terminations into layer-IV of developing mouse barrel cortex. J Neurosci 13: 5365–5382. , , , .
- 1978. Organization of corticocortical connections in parietal cortex of rat. J Comp Neurol 181: 513–537. , .
- 1970. Time of neuron origin in the diencephalon of the mouse: an autoradiographic study. J Comp Neurol 139: 129–187.
- 2000. The early development of thalamocortical and corticothalamic projections in the mouse. Anat Embryol 201: 169–179. , , , .
- 1998. Semaphorins act as attractive and repulsive guidance signals during the development of cortical projections. Development 125: 5043–5053. , , , , .
- 2001. Axonal surface molecules act in combination with semaphorin 3A during the establishment of corticothalamic projections. Cereb Cortex 11: 278–285. , , , .
- 2002. Slit proteins prevent midline crossing and determine the dorsoventral position of major axonal pathways in the mammalian forebrain. Neuron 33: 233–248. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Attraction of specific thalamic input by cerebral grafts depends on the molecular identity of the implant. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 3706–3710. , .
- 2004. Multiple roles of ephrins during the formation of thalamocortical projections: maps and more. J Neurobiol 59: 82–94. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Thalamocortical axons are influenced by chemorepellent and chemoattractant activities localized to decision points along their path. Dev Biol 208: 430–440. , , .
- 2000. Netrin-1 promotes thalamic axon growth and is required for proper development of the thalamocortical projection. J Neurosci 20: 5792–5801. , , , , , , .
- 1995. T-brain-1: a homolog of brachyury whose expression defines molecularly distinct domains within the cerebral-cortex. Neuron 15: 63–78. , , , , , .
- 1987. Thalamic and corticocortical connections of the 2nd somatic sensory area of the mouse. J Comp Neurol 265: 409–427. , .
- 1998. Dual action of a ligand for Eph receptor tyrosine kinases on specific populations of axons during the development of cortical circuits. J Neurosci 18: 4663–4672. , , , , .
- 1999. Opposing roles for neurotrophin-3 in targeting and collateral formation of distinct sets of developing cortical neurons. Development 126: 3335–3345. , .
- 1991. Early ingrowth of thalamocortical afferents to the neocortex of the prenatal rat. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 2999–3003. , , .
- 1996. Individual axon morphology and thalamocortical topography in developing rat somatosensory cortex. J Comp Neurol 367: 36–53. , , .
- 1982. Neocortical histogenesis in normal and reeler mice: a developmental-study based upon [H-3] thymidine autoradiography. Dev Brain Res 4: 293–302. .
- 1995. Layer-specific programs of development in neocortical projection neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 11145–11149. , , .
- 1994. Early determination of a mouse somatosensory cortex marker. Nature 368: 460–463. , , .
- 2000. Early development of ocular dominance columns. Science 290: 1321–1324. , .
- 2005. Ephrin signaling in vivo: look both ways. Dev Dyn 232: 1–10. , .
- 1992. Growth and targeting of subplate axons and establishment of major cortical pathways. J Neurosci 12: 1194–1211. , .
- 2003. Corticothalamic and thalamocortical pathfinding in the mouse: dependence on intermediate targets and guidance axis. Anat Embryol 207: 177–192. , .
- 1998. The organization of corticothalamic projections: reciprocity versus parity. Brain Res Rev 28: 286–308. , , .
- 2002. Molecular mechanisms of axon guidance. Science 298: 1959–1964. .
- 1972. Thalamic relationships of the medial cortex in the rat. Brain Behav Evol 6: 457–483. .
- 1995. In-vitro guidance of retinal ganglion-cell axons by rags, a 25 kda tectal protein related to ligands for eph receptor tyrosine kinases. Cell 82: 359–370. , , , , , .
- 2003. Area specificity and topography of thalamocortical projections are controlled by ephrin/Eph genes. Neuron 39: 453–465. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Neural activity: sculptor of “barrels” in the neocortex. Trends Neurosci 24: 589–595. , .
- 1998. Regulation of thalamic neurite outgrowth by the Eph ligand ephrin-A5: implications in the development of thalamocortical projections. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 5329–5334. , , , , , .
- 2002. The early topography of thalamocortical projections is shifted in Ebf1 and Dlx1/2 mutant mice. Development 129: 5621–5634. , , , .
- 2004. Intermediate targets in formation of topographic projections: inputs from the thalamocortical system. Trends Neurosci 27: 533–539. , .
- 1992. Pathfinding and target selection by developing geniculocortical axons. J Neurosci 12: 39–55. , .
- 1999. Role of thalamic axons in the expression of H-2Z1, a mouse somatosensory cortex specific marker. Cereb Cortex 9: 611–620. , , .
- 2004. Retinal axon response to ephrin-as shows a graded, concentration-dependent transition from growth promotion to inhibition. Neuron 42: 717–730. , , .
- 2005. Isotropic fractionator: a simple, rapid method for the quantification of total cell and neuron numbers in the brain. J Neurosci 25: 2518–21. , .
- 1982. A quantitative study of the thalamocortical and other synapses in layer IV of pyramidal cells projecting from mouse SmI cortex to the caudate-putamen nucleus. J Comp Neurol 211: 217–225. , .
- 1988. Morphology of identified projection neurons in layer 5 of rat visual cortex. Neurosci Lett 94: 76–81. , .
- 2000. Cortex-restricted disruption of NMDAR1 impairs neuronal patterns in the barrel cortex. Nature 406: 726–731. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Thalamic circuitry and thalamocortical synchrony. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 357: 1659–1673. .
- 2004. Regulators of neurite outgrowth: role of cell adhesion molecules. Ann NY Acad Sci 1014: 140–154. , , .
- 2004. Eph/ephrin signaling in morphogenesis, neural development and plasticity. Curr Opin Cell Biol 16: 580–589. .
- 2004. Src family kinases are involved in EphA receptor-mediated retinal axon guidance. J Neurosci 24: 6248–6257. , .
- 1997. A coherent nomenclature for Eph receptors and their ligands. Mol Cell Neurosci 9: 331. .
- 2003. Thalamocortical development: how are we going to get there? Nat Rev Neurosci 4: 276–289. , .
- 1999. Regional differences in the developing cerebral cortex revealed by ephrin-A5 expression. Cereb Cortex 9: 601–610. , , , .
- 1998. Membrane-associated molecules guide limbic and nonlimbic thalamocortical projections. J Neurosci 18: 9409–9419. , , , , .
- 2002. Ephrins regulate the formation of terminal axonal arbors during the development of thalamocortical projections. Development 129: 3945–3955. , , , , .
- 1989. Subplate neurons pioneer the 1st axon pathway from the cerebral-cortex. Science 245: 978–982. , , .
- 1996. The ganglionic eminence may be an intermediate target for corticofugal and thalamocortical axons. J Neurosci 16: 3219–3235. , .
- 1999. Early neocortical regionalization in the absence of thalamic innervation. Science 285: 906–909. , , , , .
- 1995. How do thalamic axons find their way to the cortex. Trends Neurosci 18: 389–397. , .
- 1998a. The role of the first postmitotic cortical cells in the development of thalamocortical innervation in the reeler mouse. J Neurosci 18: 5746–5765. , , , .
- 1998b. Mechanisms underlying the early establishment of thalamocortical connections in the rat. J Neurosci 18: 5723–5745. , , .
- 1997. Shared and distinct functions of RAGS and ELF-1 in guiding retinal axons. EMBO J 16: 1258–1267. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Development of thalamocortical arbors in the barrel cortex of ephrin-A5 knockout mice. Program No. 217.21. Abstract/Itinerary Planner. New Orleans, LA: Society for Neuroscience. , , , , , .
- 1999. Graded and areal expression patterns of regulatory genes and cadherins in embryonic neocortex independent of thalamocortical input. J Neurosci 19: 10877–10885. , , .
- 1996. Topographically specific effects of ELF-1 on retinal axon guidance in vitro and retinal axon mapping in vivo. Cell 86: 755–766. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Developmental expression of ephrin/Eph wiring molecules in mouse homologs of schizophrenia-related brain regions. Program No. 485.5. Abstract/Itinerary Planner. Washington, DC: Society for Neuroscience. , , , .
- 2004. Eph receptor-ephrin bidirectional signals that target Ras and Rho proteins. Cell Signalling 16: 655–666. , .
- 1996. Expression of the mRNAs encoding the limbic system-associated membrane protein (LAMP): 2, fetal rat brain. J Comp Neurol 375: 289–302. , , .
- 1997. The timetable of laminar neurogenesis contributes to the specification of cortical areas in mouse isocortex. J Comp Neurol 385: 95–116. , , .
- 2000. Malformation of the functional organization of somatosensory cortex in adult ephrin-A5 knock-out mice revealed by in vivo functional imaging. J Neurosci 20: 5841–5847. , , , , , .
- 1977. Prenatal development of visual-system in rhesus-monkey. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 278: 245. .
- 2005. Opposing gradients of ephrin-as and epha7 in the superior colliculus are essential for topographic mapping in the mammalian visual system. Neuron 47: 57–69. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Refinement of thalamocortical arbors and emergence of barrel domains in the primary somatosensory cortex: a study of normal and monoamine oxidase a knock-out mice. J Neurosci 22: 8541–8552. , , .
- 1991. Growth of thalamic afferents into mouse barrel cortex. Cereb Cortex 1: 308–335. , .
- 2002. The role of the thalamus in the flow of information to the cortex. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 357: 1695–1708. , .
- 2001. Development and plasticity of cortical areas and networks. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 251–262. , .
- 1998. Interstitial branches develop from active regions of the axon demarcated by the primary growth cone during pausing behaviors. J Neurosci 18: 7930–7940. , , , .
- 1994. Eph, the largest known family of putative growth-factor receptors. Br J Cancer 69: 417–421. , .
- 2002. Miswiring of limbic thalamocortical projections in the absence of ephrin-A5. J Neurosci 22: 9352–9357. , , , , , .
- 2000. A mapping label required for normal scale of body representation in the cortex. Nat Neurosci 3: 358–365. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Developmental mechanisms patterning thalamocortical projections: intrinsic, extrinsic and in between. Trends Neurosci 27: 384–391. , .
- 1992. Projections from the laterodorsal nucleus of the thalamus to the limbic and visual cortices in the rat. J Comp Neurol 324: 427–448. , .
- 1986. Quantitative correlation between barrel-field size and the sensory innervation of the whiskerpad: a comparative study in six strains of mice bred for different patterns of mystacial vibrissae. J Neurosci 6: 3355–3373. , .
- 1988. Organization of feedback and feedforward projections of the barrel cortex: a pha-l study in the mouse. Exp Brain Res 73: 411–435. , , .
- 1970. The structural organization of layer IV in the somatosensory region (SI) of mouse cerebral cortex: the description of a cortical field composed of discrete cytoarchitectonic units. Brain Res 17: 205–242. , .
- 2001. Topographic-specific axon branching controlled by ephrin-As is the critical event in retinotectal map development. J Neurosci 21: 8548–8563. , , , .