GAP-43 heterozygous mice show delayed barrel patterning, differentiation of radial glia, and downregulation of GAP-43
Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Special Issue: Many Faces of Somatosensory Cortex: From Molecules to Maps
Volume 288A, Issue 2, pages 143–157, February 2006
How to Cite
McIlvain, V. and McCasland, J. S. (2006), GAP-43 heterozygous mice show delayed barrel patterning, differentiation of radial glia, and downregulation of GAP-43. Anat. Rec., 288A: 143–157. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20291
- Issue online: 26 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Received: 28 DEC 2004
- National Institutes of Health
- U.S. Public Health Service. Grant Numbers: NS31829, NS40779
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: IBN-9724102
- 1997. GAP-43: an intrinsic determinant of neuronal development and plasticity. Trends Neurosci 20: 84–91. , .
- 1991. A comparison of pattern formation by thalamocortical and serotonergic afferents in the rat barrel field cortex. Cereb Cortex 1: 380–389. , , .
- 1998. BDNF and NT-3 applied in the whisker pad reverse cortical changes after peripheral deafferentation in neonatal rats. Eur J Neurosci 10: 3194–3200. , , , .
- 1991. Glial cell lineage in the cerebral cortex: a review and synthesis. Glia 4: 124–137. , .
- 2002. Lesion-induced thalamocortical axonal plasticity in the S1 cortex is independent of NMDA receptor function in excitatory cortical neurons. J Neurosci 22: 9171–9175. , , , .
- 1989. Phosphorylation of B-50 (GAP43) is correlated with neurotransmitter release in rat hippocampal slices. J Neurochem 52: 24–30. , , , , .
- 1994. Antibodies to nerve growth factor (NGF) prolong the sensitive period for monocular deprivation in the rat. Neuroreport 5: 2041–2044. , , , , .
- 2002. GAP-43 is critical for normal development of the serotonergic innervation in forebrain. J Neurosci 22: 3543–3552. , , , , .
- 1998. Distribution of phosphorylated GAP-43 (neuromodulin) in growth cones directly reflects growth cone behavior. J Neurobiol 35: 287–299. , .
- 2003. Neurons from radial glia: the consequences of asymmetric inheritance. Curr Opin Neurobiol 13: 34–41. , .
- 2000. Shared and unique roles of CAP23 and GAP43 in actin regulation, neurite outgrowth, and anatomical plasticity. J Cell Biol 149: 1443–1454. , , , , .
- 1992. Phosphorylation of the presynaptic protein B-50 (GAP-43) is increased during electrically induced long-term potentiation. Neuron 8: 843–848. , , , .
- 1997. Modulation of actin filament behavior by GAP-43 (neuromodulin) is dependent on the phosphorylation status of serine 41, the protein kinase C site. J Neurosci 17: 3515–3524. , , .
- 1999. BDNF regulates the maturation of inhibition and the critical period of plasticity in mouse visual cortex. Cell 98: 739–755. , , , , , , , .
- 1994a. Increased expression of the growth-associated protein GAP-43 in the myelin-free rat spinal cord. Eur J Neurosci 6: 403–411. , .
- 1994b. Inverse patterns of myelination and GAP-43 expression in the adult CNS: neurite growth inhibitors as regulators of neuronal plasticity? J Comp Neurol 340: 194–206. , .
- 2002. Developmental down-regulation of GAP-43 expression and timing of target contact in rat corticospinal neurons. Exp Neurol 176: 390–401. , , .
- 1998. Retinal ganglion cell axon progression from the optic chiasm to initiate optic tract development requires cell autonomous function of GAP-43. J Neurosci 18: 5692–5705. , , , .
- 2000. Experience-dependent plasticity of dendritic spines in the developing rat barrel cortex in vivo. Nature 404: 876–881. , , , .
- 1986. Direct relation of long-term synaptic potentiation to phosphorylation of membrane protein F1, a substrate for membrane protein kinase C. Brain Res 399: 205–211. , , , , .
- 2001. Barrel cortex critical period plasticity is independent of changes in NMDA receptor subunit composition. Neuron 32: 619–634. , , .
- 1989. Lesions of the basal forebrain alter stimulus-evoked metabolic activity in mouse somatosensory cortex. J Comp Neurol 288: 414–427. , , , .
- 1999. Disrupted cortical map and absence of cortical barrels in growth-associated protein (GAP)-43 knockout mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 9397–9402. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Abnormal thalamocortical pathfinding and terminal arbors lead to enlarged barrels in neonatal GAP-43 heterozygous mice. J Comp Neurol 462: 252–254. , , , .
- 2001. Postnatal growth of intrinsic connections in mouse barrel cortex. J Comp Neurol 436: 17–31. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Identification of radial glial cells within the developing murine central nervous system: studies based upon a new immunohistochemical marker. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 44: 95–108. , , ,
- 1991. Ontogeny of radial and other astroglial cells in murine cerebral cortex. Glia 4: 138–148. , ,
- 1988. Changes in rapidly transported proteins in developing hamster retinofugal axons. J Neurosci 8: 4445–4454. , , , .
- 1989. Immunohistochemical localization of GAP-43 in the developing hamster retinofugal pathway. J Comp Neurol 288: 51–58. , , , .
- 2001. Neurons derived from radial glial cells establish radial units in neocortex. Nature 409: 714–720. , , , , .
- 1997. B-50, the growth associated protein-43: modulation of cell morphology and communication in the nervous system. Prog Neurobiol 53: 627–686. , , , , .
- 1999. A shift in protein S-palmitoylation, with persistence of growth-associated substrates, marks a critical period for synaptic plasticity in developing brain. J Neurobiol 39: 423–437. , .
- 1975. Timing of major ontogenetic events in the visual cortex of the rhesus monkey. UCLA Forum Med Sci: 3–40. .
- 2002. Refinement of thalamocortical arbors and emergence of barrel domains in the primary somatosensory cortex: a study of normal and monoamine oxidase a knock-out mice. J Neurosci 22: 8541–8552. , , .
- 2002. Growth-associated protein-43 is required for commissural axon guidance in the developing vertebrate nervous system. J Neurosci 22: 239–247. , , , , .
- 1989. Axonal growth-associated proteins. Annu Rev Neurosci 12: 127–156. .
- 1973. Somatosensory cortex: structural alterations following early injury to sense organs. Science 179: 395–398. , .
- 1980. Histochemical changes in cytochrome oxidase of cortical barrels after vibrissal removal in neonatal and adult mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 77: 2333–2337. , .
- 1976. Areal changes in mouse cortical barrels following vibrissal damage at different postnatal ages. J Comp Neurol 170: 53–66. , .
- 2000. Increase of GAP-43 expression following kainic acid injection into whisker barrel cortex. Neuroreport 11: 1603–1605. , , , ,
- 1998. Retrograde regulation of growth-associated gene expression in adult rat Purkinje cells by myelin-associated neurite growth inhibitory proteins. J Neurosci 18: 7912–7929. , , , , , .
- 1999. A key role for GAP-43 in the retinotectal topographic organization. Exp Neurol 155: 228–242. , .