Left hemispheric lateralization of brain activity during passive rhythm perception in musicians†
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2006
Published 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Special Issue: Structure and Function in the Auditory System: From Cochlea to Cortex
Volume 288A, Issue 4, pages 382–389, April 2006
How to Cite
Limb, C. J., Kemeny, S., Ortigoza, E. B., Rouhani, S. and Braun, A. R. (2006), Left hemispheric lateralization of brain activity during passive rhythm perception in musicians. Anat. Rec., 288A: 382–389. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20298
This article is a U.S. Government work and, as such, remains in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue published online: 23 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 29 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 DEC 2005
- Division of Intramural Research
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
- 2004. Infants' perception of rhythm and tempo in unimodal and multimodal stimulation: a developmental test of the intersensory redundancy hypothesis. Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci 4: 137–147. , .
- 2000. Voice-selective areas in human auditory cortex. Nature 403: 309–312. , , , , .
- 2002. Human temporal-lobe response to vocal sounds. Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 13: 17–26. , , .
- 1976. The unanswered question. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. .
- 1974. Cerebral dominance in musicians and nonmusicians. Science 185: 537–539. , .
- 2003. Hierarchical processing in spoken language comprehension. J Neurosci 23: 3423–3431. , .
- 1977. Rhythm perception in early infancy. Nature 266: 718–719. , , .
- 2000. Rhythm perception and production. Exton, PA: Swets and Zeitlinger Publishers. , .
- 2003. The formation of rhythmic categories and metric priming. Perception 32: 341–365. , .
- 1999. The cerebral haemodynamics of music perception: a transcranial Doppler sonography study. Brain 122(Pt 1): 75–85. , , , , .
- 2004. Computational constraints on syntactic processing in a nonhuman primate. Science 303: 377–380. , .
- 1998. Analysis of temporal structure in sound by the human brain. Nat Neurosci 1: 422–427. , , , .
- 1999. A common neural substrate for the analysis of pitch and duration pattern in segmented sound? Neuroreport 10: 3825–3830. , , , .
- 1999. When that tune runs through your head: a PET investigation of auditory imagery for familiar melodies. Cereb Cortex 9: 697–704. , .
- 2002. The cortical topography of tonal structures underlying Western music. Science 298: 2167–2170. , , , , , .
- 1997. Experiencing language: some thoughts on poetry and psychoanalysis. Psychoanal Q 66: 683–700. .
- 2004. Rhythmic context influences the auditory evoked potentials of musicians and non-musicians. Biol Psychol 66: 129–152. , , .
- 2001. Absolute pitch and planum temporale. Neuroimage 14: 1402–1408. , , , .
- 1991. Acute effect of anterior temporal lobectomy on musical processing. Neuropsychologia 29: 703–708. , , , , , .
- 2004. Music, language and meaning: brain signatures of semantic processing. Nat Neurosci 7: 302–307. , , , , , .
- 2000. The fast and the slow of skilled bimanual rhythm production: parallel versus integrated timing. J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform 26: 206–233. , , , , .
- 1983. A generative theory of tonal music. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. , .
- 2001. The sounds of poetry viewed as music. Ann NY Acad Sci 930: 337–354. .
- 1977. On stress and linguistic rhythm. Ling Inquiry 8: 249–336. , .
- 1999. Specialization of left auditory cortex for speech perception in man depends on temporal coding. Cereb Cortex 9: 484–496. , , , .
- 1984. The rhythmic interpretation of monophonic music. Music Perception 1: 424–441. , .
- 2001. Musical syntax is processed in Broca's area: an MEG study. Nat Neurosci 4: 540–545. , , , .
- 2000. Music and cerebral hemodynamics. J Clin Neurosci 7: 425–428. , , , , .
- 1998. Language discrimination by newborns: toward an understanding of the role of rhythm. J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform 24: 756–766. , , .
- 2001. Functional anatomy of musical perception in musicians. Cereb Cortex 11: 754–760. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A common language network for comprehension and production: a contribution to the definition of language epicenters with PET. Neuroimage 11: 347–357. , , , , , .
- 1998. Processing prosodic and musical patterns: a neuropsychological investigation. Brain Lang 61: 123–144. , , , .
- 2003. An empirical comparison of rhythm in language and music. Cognition 87: B35–B45. , .
- 2005. The influence of metricality and modality on synchronization with a beat. Exp Brain Res 163: 226–238. , , , .
- 1999. The role of auditory cortex in retention of rhythmic patterns as studied in patients with temporal lobe removals including Heschl's gyrus. Neuropsychologia 37: 315–331. , , .
- 1985. Hemispheric asymmetry in amusia. Rev Neurol (Paris) 141: 169–183. .
- 1990. Processing of local and global musical information by unilateral brain-damaged patients. Brain 113(Pt 4): 1185–1205. .
- 1999. Localization of cerebral activity during simple singing. Neuroreport 10: 3979–3984. , , , , , .
- 1997. The structural components of music perception: a functional anatomical study. Brain 120(Pt 2): 229–243. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Task-induced asymmetry of the auditory evoked M100 neuromagnetic field elicited by speech sounds. Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 4: 231–242. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Auditory perception of temporal and spectral events in patients with focal left and right cerebral lesions. Brain Lang 39: 539–555. , , .
- 1999. Neural representation of a rhythm depends on its interval ratio. J Neurosci 19: 10074–10081. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Cerebral substrates for musical temporal processes. In: PeretzI, editor. The cognitive neuroscience of music. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p 204–230. .
- 1997. Newborns discriminate the rhythm of multisyllabic stressed words. Dev Psychol 33: 3–11. , , .
- 1995. In vivo evidence of structural brain asymmetry in musicians. Science 267: 699–701. , , , .
- 1984. Phonology and syntax: the relation between sound and structure. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. .
- 1950. The musical experience of composer, performer, listener. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 1980. Temporal ordering deficits following anterior temporal lobectomy. Brain Lang 11: 195–203. , .
- 2003. Lateralized cognitive processes and lateralized task control in the human brain. Science 301: 384–386. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Infants' perception of rhythm: categorization of auditory sequences by temporal structure. Can J Psychol 43: 217–229. , .
- 1998. Hemispheric dominance in the processing of J.S. Bach fugues: a transcranial Doppler sonography (TCD) study with musicians. Neuropsychologia 36: 857–867. , , , .
- 2005. Language in context: emergent features of word, sentence, and narrative comprehension. Neuroimage 25: 1002–1015. , , , , .
- 1994. Neural mechanisms underlying melodic perception and memory for pitch. J Neurosci 14: 1908–1919. , , .
- 2002. Structure and function of auditory cortex: music and speech. Trends Cogn Sci 6: 37–46. , , .