Axon guidance cues in auditory development
Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Special Issue: Structure and Function in the Auditory System: From Cochlea to Cortex
Volume 288A, Issue 4, pages 390–396, April 2006
How to Cite
Webber, A. and Raz, Y. (2006), Axon guidance cues in auditory development. Anat. Rec., 288A: 390–396. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20299
- Issue online: 23 MAR 2006
- Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 29 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 DEC 2005
- 2000. Effect of fibroblast growth factor-1 (FGF-1) on spiral ganglion cells of the mammalian cochlea. HNO 48: 457–461. , , , , .
- 2001. Ras/MEK but not p38 signaling mediates NT-3-induced neurite extension from spiral ganglion neurons. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 2: 377–387. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Branching of spiral ganglion neurites is induced by focal application of fibroblast growth factor-1. Laryngoscope 113: 791–796. , , , , .
- 1999. BMPs as mediators of roof plate repulsion of commissural neurons. Neuron 24: 127–141. , , , , .
- 2001. Semaphorin 3A-vascular endothelial growth factor-165 balance mediates migration and apoptosis of neural progenitor cells by the recruitment of shared receptor. J Neurosci 21: 3332–3341. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Fibroblast growth factors: activities and significance of non-neurotrophin neurotrophic growth factors. Curr Opin Neurobiol 4: 78–86. .
- 1991. Developmental regulation of a neurite-promoting factor influencing statoacoustic neurons. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 64: 167–174. , .
- 1993. Effects of the neurotrophins and CNTF on developing statoacoustic neurons: comparison with an otocyst-derived factor. Dev Biol 159: 353–365. , .
- 1996. Degeneration of vestibular neurons in late embryogenesis of both heterozygous and homozygous BDNF null mutant mice. Development 122: 1965–1973. , , , , , .
- 1998. Distribution of Eph-related molecules in the developing and mature cochlea. Hear Res 117: 161–172. , .
- 1999. Comparison of ephrin-A ligand and EphA receptor distribution in the developing inner ear. Anat Rec 254: 127–134. , .
- 2002. EphB receptors influence growth of ephrin-B1-positive statoacoustic nerve fibers. Eur J Neurosci 16: 1499–1506. , .
- 2005. Sonic hedgehog guides commissural axons along the longitudinal axis of the spinal cord. Nat Neurosci 8: 297–304. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Morphogen signaling at the vertebrate growth cone: a few cases or a general strategy? J Neurobiol 64: 405–416. .
- 2002. Axonal protein synthesis provides a mechanism for localized regulation at an intermediate target. Cell 110: 223–235. , , .
- 2003. EphA4 provides repulsive signals to developing cochlear ganglion neurites mediated through ephrin-B2 and -B3. J Comp Neurol 462: 90–100. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Slit proteins bind robo receptors and have an evolutionarily conserved role in repulsive axon guidance. Cell 96: 795–806. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A role for BMP heterodimers in roof plate-mediated repulsion of commissural axons. Neuron 38: 389–401. , .
- 2001. Chemotropic responses of retinal growth cones mediated by rapid local protein synthesis and degradation. Neuron 32: 1013–1026. , .
- 1983. Studies on cell migration and axon guidance in the developing distal auditory system of the mouse. J Comp Neurol 215: 359–369. , .
- 2003. The morphogen sonic hedgehog is an axonal chemoattractant that collaborates with netrin-1 in midline axon guidance. Cell 113: 11–23. , , , , .
- 2005. Novel brain wiring functions for classical morphogens: a role as graded positional cues in axon guidance. Development 132: 2251–2262. , .
- 1995. Complementary gradients in expression and binding of ELF-1 and Mek4 in development of the topographic retinotectal projection map. Cell 82: 371–381. , , , .
- 2003. Cranial expression of class 3 secreted semaphorins and their neuropilin receptors. Dev Dyn 228: 726–733. , .
- 1999. Unified nomenclature for the semaphorins/collapsins. Cell 97: 551–552. .
- 1997. Expression of the major basement membrane-associated proteins during postnatal development in the murine cochlea. Hear Res 105: 159–170. , .
- 2000. EphB2 guides axons at the midline and is necessary for normal vestibular function. Neuron 26: 417–430. , , , , .
- 2000. Developmental regulation of EphA4 expression in the chick auditory brainstem. J Comp Neurol 426: 270–278. , , , , , .
- 2005. Eph proteins and the assembly of auditory circuits. Hear Res 206: 42–51. .
- 2003. Wnt signaling mediates reorientation of outer hair cell stereociliary bundles in the mammalian cochlea. Development 130: 2375–2384. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Focal delivery of fibroblast growth factor-1 by transfected cells induces spiral ganglion neurite targeting in vitro. J Cell Physiol 177: 123–129. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Chemoattraction and chemorepulsion of olfactory bulb axons by different secreted semaphorins. J Neurosci 19: 4428–4436. , , , , .
- 1995. In vitro guidance of retinal ganglion cell axons by RAGS, a 25 kDa tectal protein related to ligands for Eph receptor tyrosine kinases. Cell 82: 359–370. , , , , , .
- 2001. Local translation of classes of mRNAs that are targeted to neuronal dendrites. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 7080–7085. , , , .
- 1992. Developmental segregation in the afferent projections to mammalian auditory hair cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 6324–6327. .
- 1992. Cells expressing mRNA for neurotrophins and their receptors during embryonic rat development. Eur J Neurosci 4: 1140–1158. , , .
- 1995. Complementary roles of BDNF and NT-3 in vestibular and auditory development. Neuron 14: 1153–1164. , , , .
- 2000. Retinal ganglion cell axon guidance in the mouse optic chiasm: expression and function of robos and slits. J Neurosci 20: 4975–4982. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Genetic analysis of ephrin-A2 and ephrin-A5 shows their requirement in multiple aspects of retinocollicular mapping. Neuron 25: 563–574. , , , , , .
- 1997. The role of neurotrophic factors in regulating the development of inner ear innervation. Trends Neurosci 20: 159–164. , , , .
- 1998. The combined effects of trkB and trkC mutations on the innervation of the inner ear. Int J Dev Neurosci 16: 493–505. , , .
- 1999. Making and breaking the innervation of the ear: neurotrophic support during ear development and its clinical implications. Cell Tissue Res 295: 369–382. , , .
- 2005. Atoh1 null mice show directed afferent fiber growth to undifferentiated ear sensory epithelia followed by incomplete fiber retention. Dev Dyn 233: 570–583. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Slit expression in the developing cochlea. ARO Midwinter Research Meeting. Baltimore, MD. , , , .
- 2005. Netrin-1 as a guidance molecule in the postnatal rat cochlea. Hear Res 199: 117–123. , , , .
- 2003. Neuropilin-1 conveys semaphorin and VEGF signaling during neural and cardiovascular development. Dev Cell 5: 45–57. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Neuropilin is a receptor for the axonal chemorepellent semaphorin III. Cell 90: 739–751. , .
- 2004. Cranial sensory neuron development in the absence of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in BDNF/Bax double null mice. Dev Biol 275: 34–43. , , , .
- 1991. Formation of the cochlea in the chicken embryo: sequence of innervation and localization of basal lamina-associated molecules. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 61: 87–96. , .
- 1992. Tropic effects of otic epithelium on cochleo-vestibular ganglion fiber growth in vitro. Anat Rec 232: 273–284. , .
- 2002. EphB forward signaling controls directional branch extension and arborization required for dorsal-ventral retinotopic mapping. Neuron 35: 475–487. , , , , .
- 1998. Distinct but overlapping expression patterns of two vertebrate slit homologs implies functional roles in CNS development and organogenesis. Mech Dev 79: 57–72. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Expression of slit-2 and slit-3 during chick development. Dev Dyn 222: 301–307. , .
- 2000. Fibroblast growth factors (FGF-1, FGF-2) promote migration and neurite growth of mouse cochlear ganglion cells in vitro: immunohistochemistry and antibody perturbation. J Neurosci Res 62: 40–55. , .
- 1999. Chemorepulsion of neuronal migration by Slit2 in the developing mammalian forebrain. Neuron 23: 703–711. .
- 2003. Signaling at the growth cone: ligand-receptor complexes and the control of axon growth and guidance. Annu Rev Neurosci 26: 509–563. , , , .
- 2002. Magic roundabout is a new member of the roundabout receptor family that is endothelial specific and expressed at sites of active angiogenesis. Genomics 79: 547–552. , , , , .
- 1998. Cloning and expressions of three mammalian homologues of Drosophila slit suggest possible roles for Slit in the formation and maintenance of the nervous system. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 62: 175–186. , , , .
- 2005. Auditory hair cell replacement and hearing improvement by Atoh1 gene therapy in deaf mammals. Nat Med 11: 271–276. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Mutations in a human ROBO gene disrupt hindbrain axon pathway crossing and morphogenesis. Science 304: 1509–1513. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Transcription factor GATA-3 alters pathway selection of olivocochlear neurons and affects morphogenesis of the ear. J Comp Neurol 429: 615–630. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Comm sorts robo to control axon guidance at the Drosophila midline. Cell 110: 415–427. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Netrins are diffusible chemotropic factors for commissural axons in the embryonic spinal cord. Cell 78: 425–435. , , , .
- 1998. Roundabout controls axon crossing of the CNS midline and defines a novel subfamily of evolutionarily conserved guidance receptors. Cell 92: 205–215. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Slit is the midline repellent for the robo receptor in Drosophila. Cell 96: 785–794. , , .
- 1992. Fasciclin IV: sequence, expression, and function during growth cone guidance in the grasshopper embryo. Neuron 9: 831–845. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Cloning of m-ehk2 from the murine inner ear, an eph family receptor tyrosine kinase expressed in the developing and adult cochlea. DNA Cell Biol 15: 817–825. , , , , .
- 2005. Ephrin A2 may play a role in axon guidance during hair cell regeneration. Laryngoscope 115: 1021–1025. , .
- 1997. Extracellular matrix and cell adhesion molecules in the developing inner ear. Semin Cell Dev Biol 8: 217–224. , .
- 1997. Vertebrate homologues of C. elegans UNC-5 are candidate netrin receptors. Nature 386: 833–838. , , , , , .
- 2003. Generation of hair cells by stepwise differentiation of embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 13495–13500. , , , .
- 2000. Essential role of BETA2/NeuroD1 in development of the vestibular and auditory systems. Genes Dev 14: 2839–2854. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Netrin and netrin receptor expression in the embryonic mammalian nervous system suggests roles in retinal, striatal, nigral, and cerebellar development. Mol Cell Neurosci 8: 417–429. , .
- 1993. Collapsin: a protein in brain that induces the collapse and paralysis of neuronal growth cones. Cell 75: 217–227. , , .
- 2003. Anterior-posterior guidance of commissural axons by Wnt-frizzled signaling. Science 302: 1984–1988. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Spatiotemporal expression patterns of slit and robo genes in the rat brain. J Comp Neurol 442: 130–155. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Heparan sulfate fibroblast growth factor receptor complex: structure-function relationships. Mol Reprod Dev 39: 69–81. , .
- 2002. Fibroblast growth factor signaling regulates pillar cell development in the organ of corti. J Neurosci 22: 9368–9377. , , .
- 1999. Slit2-mediated chemorepulsion and collapse of developing forebrain axons. Neuron 22: 463–473. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. FGFs, heparan sulfate and FGFRs: complex interactions essential for development. Bioessays 22: 108–112. .
- 2004. Tonotopic gradients of Eph family proteins in the chick nucleus laminaris during synaptogenesis. J Neurobiol 60: 28–39. , , , , .
- 1997. The expression of messenger RNAs coding for growth factors, their receptors, and eph-class receptor tyrosine kinases in normal and ototoxically damaged chick cochleae. Dev Neurosci 19: 476–487. , .
- 2004. RNA translation in axons. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 20: 505–523. , .
- 1992. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neurotrophin 3 mRNAs in the peripheral target fields of developing inner ear ganglia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 9915–9919. , , , , , .
- 2002. FGFR1 is required for the development of the auditory sensory epithelium. Neuron 35: 671–680. , , , , , .
- 2002. Slit1 and slit2 cooperate to prevent premature midline crossing of retinal axons in the mouse visual system. Neuron 33: 219–232. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Specification of the mammalian cochlea is dependent on Sonic hedgehog. Genes Dev 16: 2365–2378. , , , , .
- 2005. SFRP1 regulates the growth of retinal ganglion cell axons through the Fz2 receptor. Nat Neurosci 8: 1301–1309. , , , , , , , , .
- 1967. Development of the inner ear of the mouse: a radioautographic study of terminal mitoses. Acta Oto-laryngol Suppl 220: 1–44. .
- 1992. The auditory nerve, peripheral innervation, cell body morphology, and central projections. In: WebsterAP, FayRR, editors. The mammalian auditory pathway: neuroanatomy, springer handbook of auditory research, vol. 1. New York: Springer-Verlag. p 23–65. .
- 2000. Netrin 1 is required for semicircular canal formation in the mouse inner ear. Development 127: 13–22. , , , .
- 2005. Morphogens as growth cone signalling molecules. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 49: 242–252. , , , , .
- 2005. Wnt-Ryk signalling mediates medial-lateral retinotectal topographic mapping. Nature 439: 31–37. , , , , , .
- 2004. Axon guidance: morphogens show the way. Curr Biol 14: R19–R21. , .
- 1993. Mutations affecting growth cone guidance in Drosophila: genes necessary for guidance toward or away from the midline. Neuron 10: 409–426. , , , .
- 1994. The netrins define a family of axon outgrowth-promoting proteins homologous to C. elegans UNC-6. Cell 78: 409–424. , , , , , .
- 2005. Differential expression of Eph receptors and ephrins in the cochlear ganglion and eighth cranial nerve of the chick embryo. J Comp Neurol 482: 309–319. , .
- 1994. A transient afferent innervation of outer hair cells in the postnatal cochlea. Neuroreport 5: 1309–1312. .
- 1997. Topography of spiral ganglion projections to cochlear nucleus during postnatal development in cats. J Comp Neurol 384: 293–311. , .
- 1992. The development of innervation in the organ of Corti. In: RomandR, editor. Development of auditory and vestibular systems II. Amsterdam: Elsevier. .
- 2001. Binding of DCC by netrin-1 to mediate axon guidance independent of adenosine A2B receptor activation. Science 291: 1976–1982. , , , .
- 2001. Protein synthesis at synaptic sites on dendrites. Annu Rev Neurosci 24: 299–325. , .
- 1931. Le reticule des cellules ciliees du labyrinth chez la souris et son independance des terminaisons nerveuses de la huitieme paire. Trav Lab Rech Biol 27: 151–186. .
- 2004. NT-3 replacement with brain-derived neurotrophic factor redirects vestibular nerve fibers to the cochlea. J Neurosci 24: 2575–2584. , , .
- 2001. Control of retinal ganglion cell axon growth: a new role for Sonic hedgehog. Development 128: 3927–3936. , , , , .
- 1998. Neurotrophins rapidly modulate growth cone response to the axon guidance molecule, collapsin-1. Mol Cell Neurosci 11: 1–8. , .
- 1999. Biochemical purification of a mammalian slit protein as a positive regulator of sensory axon elongation and branching. Cell 96: 771–784. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Slit/robo signaling inn the developing cochlea. ARO Midwinter Research Meeting. New Orleans, LA. , .
- 2002. Regulation of cortical dendrite development by Slit-Robo interactions. Neuron 33: 47–61. , , , , , , .
- 1999a. Tenascin-C in the cochlea of the developing mouse. J Comp Neurol 406: 361–374. , , .
- 1999b. A temporospatial map of adhesive molecules in the organ of Corti of the mouse cochlea. J Neurocytol 28: 955–968. , , , .
- 1992. Immunohistochemical localization of fibronectin-like protein in the inner ear of the developing gerbil and rat. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 65: 21–33. , , .
- 1999. Directional guidance of neuronal migration in the olfactory system by the protein Slit. Nature 400: 331–336. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Local translation of RhoA regulates growth cone collapse. Nature 436: 1020–1024. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Expression patterns of neurotrophin and their receptor mRNAs in the rat inner ear. Hear Res 65: 69–78. , , , , , .
- 2002. Shared receptors in axon guidance: SAX-3/Robo signals via UNC-34/enabled and a Netrin-independent UNC-40/DCC function. Nat Neurosci 5: 1147–1154. , , , , .
- 1999. The mouse SLIT family: secreted ligands for ROBO expressed in patterns that suggest a role in morphogenesis and axon guidance. Dev Biol 212: 290–306. , , , , , .