Projections from auditory cortex to cochlear nucleus: A comparative analysis of rat and mouse
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Special Issue: Structure and Function in the Auditory System: From Cochlea to Cortex
Volume 288A, Issue 4, pages 397–408, April 2006
How to Cite
Meltzer, N. E. and Ryugo, D. K. (2006), Projections from auditory cortex to cochlear nucleus: A comparative analysis of rat and mouse. Anat. Rec., 288A: 397–408. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20300
- Issue published online: 23 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 29 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 DEC 2005
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: RO1 DC04395, T32 DC00027
- 1996. Effects of somatosensory and parallel-fiber stimulation on neurons in dorsal cochlear nucleus. J Neurophysiol 76: 3012–3024. , , .
- 1997. Projections from the ventral cochlear nucleus to the dorsal cochlear nucleus in rats. J Comp Neurol 385: 245–264. , .
- 2002. The cellular origin of corticofugal projections to the superior olivary complex in the rat. Brain Res 925: 28–41. , , .
- 2003. The source of corticocollicular and corticobulbar projections in area Te1 of the rat. Exp Brain Res 153: 461–466. , , .
- 1995. Direct projections from the rat primary auditory neocortex to nucleus sagulum, paralemniscal regions, superior olivary complex and cochlear nuclei. Aud Neurosci 1: 287–308. , , .
- 1994. The unipolar brush cells of the rat cerebellar cortex and cochlear nucleus are calretinin-positive: a study by light and electron microscopic immunocytochemistry. Anat Embryol 189: 495–520. , , , .
- 2005. Projections from the spinal trigeminal nucleus to the cochlear nucleus in the rat. J Comp Neurol 484: 191–205. , , , .
- 2001. Proprioceptive information from the pinna provides somatosensory input to cat dorsal cochlear nucleus. J Neurophysiol 21: 7848–7858. , .
- 1987. Thalamic projections to fields A, AI, P, and VP in the cat auditory cortex. J Comp Neurol 265: 119–144. , .
- 1980a. Fine structure of granule cells and related interneurons (termed Golgi cells) in the cochlear nuclear complex of cat, rat, and mouse. J Neurocytol 9: 537–570. , , , , .
- 1980b. Distribution and light microscopic features of granule cells in the cochlear nuclei of cat, rat, and mouse. J Comp Neurol 191: 581–606. , , .
- 2004. What's a cerebellar circuit doing in the auditory system? Trends Neurosci 27: 104–110. , .
- 1978. The medial geniculate body of the tree shrew, Tupaia glis: II, connections with the neocortex. J Comp Neurol 182: 459–493. , .
- 1993. Organization of rodent auditory cortex: anterograde transport of PHA-L from MGv to temporal neocortex. Cereb Cortex 3: 499–514. , .
- 1974. Differential telencephalic projections of the medial and ventral divisions of the geniculate body of the rat. Brain Res 82: 173–177. , .
- 2003. Multimodal inputs to the granule cell domain of the cochlear nucleus. Exp Brain Res 153: 477–485. , , .
- 1988. Organization of auditory cortex in the albino rat: sound frequency. J Neurophysiol 59: 1627–1638. , .
- 2005. Auditory cortical projections to the cochlear nucleus in guinea pigs. Hear Res 199: 89–102. , .
- 1997. The auditory cortex of the house mouse: left-right differences, tonotopic organization and quantitative analysis of frequency representation. J Comp Physiol A 181: 559–571. , , , .
- 1975. Illustrated human embryology, vol. 3, nervous system and endocrine glands. New York: Spring-Verlag. , , .
- 1987. Histochemical demonstration of sensory maps in the rat and mouse cerebral cortex. Brain Res 418: 178–182. .
- 1996a. Pyramidal cells in primary auditory cortex project to cochlear nucleus in rat. Brain Res 706: 97–102. , .
- 1996b. Projections from auditory cortex to the cochlear nucleus in rats: synapses on granule cell dendrites. J Comp Neurol 371: 311–324. , .
- 1996. Ultrastructural study of the granule cell domain of the cochlear nucleus in rats: Mossy fiber endings and their targets. J Comp Neurol 369: 345–360. , , .
- 1976. Cortical cells projecting to the dorsal column nuclei of cats: an anatomical study with the horseradish peroxidase technique. J Comp Neurol 168: 425–437. , .
- 1977. Cortical cells projecting to the dorsal column nuclei of rhesus monkeys. Exp Brain Res 28: 521–528. , .
- 1979. Differential projections of cortical sensorimotor areas upon the dorsal column nuclei of cats. J Comp Neurol 184: 401–421. , .
- 1999. Origins of medial geniculate body projections to physiologically defined zones of rat primary auditory cortex. Hear Res 130: 42–61. , , , .
- 1979. Changes in the visual system of monocularly sutured or enucleated cats demonstrable with cytochrome oxidase histochemistry. Brain Res 171: 11–28. .
- 1996. Mossy fiber projections from the cuneate nucleus to the cochlear nucleus in the rat. J Comp Neurol 365: 159–172. , .