Structural and functional neural correlates of music perception†
Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2006
Published 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Special Issue: Structure and Function in the Auditory System: From Cochlea to Cortex
Volume 288A, Issue 4, pages 435–446, April 2006
How to Cite
Limb, C. J. (2006), Structural and functional neural correlates of music perception. Anat. Rec., 288A: 435–446. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20316
This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue online: 23 MAR 2006
- Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 9 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JAN 2006
- Division of Intramural Research, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- 1978. The sound of surprise: 46 pieces on jazz. New York: Da Capo Press. .
- 1999. Emotional responses to pleasant and unpleasant music correlate with activity in paralimbic brain regions. Nat Neurosci 2: 382–387. , , , .
- 2001. Intensely pleasurable responses to music correlate with activity in brain regions implicated in reward and emotion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 11818–11823. , .
- 1961. Silence: lectures and writings. Middletown, CT: Wesleyan University Press. .
- 1998. Effects of syntactic structure and propositional number on patterns of regional cerebral blood flow. J Cogn Neurosci 10: 541–552. , , .
- 1999. PET studies of syntactic processing with auditory sentence presentation. Neuroimage 9: 343–351. , , .
- 2000. Activation of Broca's area by syntactic processing under conditions of concurrent articulation. Hum Brain Mapp 9: 65–71. , , , .
- 1990. The language of music. Oxford: Oxford University Press. .
- 1952. Music and imagination. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. .
- 1999. Form and content: dissociating syntax and semantics in sentence comprehension. Neuron 24: 427–432. , .
- 1999. The psychology of music, 2nd ed. San Diego, CA: Academic Press. .
- 1986. Music cognition. Orlando, FL: Academic Press. , .
- 1963. Temporal perception, aphasia and déjà vu. Brain 86: 403–424. .
- 1985. Metrical and nonmetrical representations of temporal patterns. Percept Psychophys 37: 1–7. , .
- 2000. Segregating semantic and syntactic aspects of processing in the human brain: an fMRI investigation of different word types. Cereb Cortex 10: 698–705. , , .
- 2001. Syntactic, prosodic, and semantic processes in the brain: evidence from event-related neuroimaging. J Psycholinguist Res 30: 237–250. .
- 2002. Towards a neural basis of auditory sentence processing. Trends Cogn Sci 6: 78–84. .
- 1998. Analysis of temporal structure in sound by the human brain. Nat Neurosci 1: 422–427. , , , .
- 1999. A common neural substrate for the analysis of pitch and duration pattern in segmented sound? Neuroreport 10: 3825–3830. , , , .
- 1998a. Subdivisions of auditory cortex and ipsilateral cortical connections of the parabelt auditory cortex in macaque monkeys. J Comp Neurol 394: 475–495. , , .
- 1998b. Thalamocortical connections of the parabelt auditory cortex in macaque monkeys. J Comp Neurol 400: 271–286. , , .
- 1999a. Callosal connections of the parabelt auditory cortex in macaque monkeys. Eur J Neurosci 11: 856–866. , , .
- 1999b. Prefrontal connections of the parabelt auditory cortex in macaque monkeys. Brain Res 817: 45–58. , , .
- 2001. Architectonic identification of the core region in auditory cortex of macaques, chimpanzees, and humans. J Comp Neurol 441: 197–222. , , .
- 2002. Segregating early physical and syntactic processes in auditory sentence comprehension. Neuroreport 13: 305–309. , , .
- 1999. When that tune runs through your head: a PET investigation of auditory imagery for familiar melodies. Cereb Cortex 9: 697–704. , .
- 1999. Brain activation during dichotic presentations of consonant-vowel and musical instrument stimuli: a 15O-PET study. Neuropsychologia 37: 431–440. , , , , , .
- 2005. Electrophysiological correlates of absolute pitch and relative pitch. Cereb Cortex 15: 760–769. , , , , .
- 2002. The cortical topography of tonal structures underlying Western music. Science 298: 2167–2170. , , , , , .
- 2001. Functional MRI: an introduction to methods. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , , .
- 1998. Subdivisions of auditory cortex and levels of processing in primates. Audiol Neurootol 3: 73–85. , .
- 1999. “What” and “where” processing in auditory cortex. Nat Neurosci 2: 1045–1047. , .
- 1999. Auditory processing in primate cerebral cortex. Curr Opin Neurobiol 9: 164–170. , , .
- 2000. Subdivisions of auditory cortex and processing streams in primates. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 11793–11799. , .
- 2001. Absolute pitch and planum temporale. Neuroimage 14: 1402–1408. , , , .
- 1991. Acute effect of anterior temporal lobectomy on musical processing. Neuropsychologia 29: 703–708. , , , , , .
- 2004. Music, language and meaning: brain signatures of semantic processing. Nat Neurosci 7: 302–307. , , , , , .
- 1973. Alterations in auditory fusion thresholds after cerebral injury in man. Neuropsychologia 11: 409–415. , .
- 2003. Corpus callosum: musician and gender effects. Neuroreport 14: 205–209. , , .
- 1983. A generative theory of tonal music. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. , .
- 2005. Absolute pitch: perception, coding, and controversies. Trends Cogn Sci 9: 26–33. , .
- 1998. Contribution of different cortical areas in the temporal lobes to music processing. Brain 121(Pt 10): 1853–1867. , , , , .
- 2001. Musical syntax is processed in Broca's area: an MEG study. Nat Neurosci 4: 540–545. , , , .
- 2002. Does the definition of borders of the planum temporale influence the results in schizophrenia? Am J Psychiatry 159: 1198–1200. , , , , , .
- 2005. The rewards of music listening: response and physiological connectivity of the mesolimbic system. Neuroimage 28: 175–184. , .
- 1980. A case of cortical deafness: clinical and electrophysiological data. Brain Lang 10: 367–377. , , .
- 2002. Reduced intracortical inhibition and facilitation of corticospinal neurons in musicians. Exp Brain Res 144: 336–342. , .
- 1990. Brain magnetic resonance imaging with contrast dependent on blood oxygenation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 9868–9872. , , , .
- 1993. Functional brain mapping by blood oxygenation level-dependent contrast magnetic resonance imaging: a comparison of signal characteristics with a biophysical model. Biophys J 64: 803–812. , , , , , , .
- 2000. A common language network for comprehension and production: a contribution to the definition of language epicenters with PET. Neuroimage 11: 347–357. , , , , , .
- 2003. Language, music, syntax and the brain. Nat Neurosci 6: 674–681. .
- 1999. The role of auditory cortex in retention of rhythmic patterns as studied in patients with temporal lobe removals including Heschl's gyrus. Neuropsychologia 37: 315–331. , , .
- 1985. Hemispheric asymmetry in amusia. Rev Neurol (Paris) 141: 169–183. .
- 1990. Processing of local and global musical information by unilateral brain-damaged patients. Brain 113(Pt 4): 1185–1205. .
- 2003. Modularity of music processing. Nat Neurosci 6: 688–691. , .
- 2005. Brain organization for music processing. Annu Rev Psychol 56: 89–114. , .
- 1999. Localization of cerebral activity during simple singing. Neuroreport 10: 3979–3984. , , , , , .
- 1997. The structural components of music perception: a functional anatomical study. Brain 120(Pt 2): 229–243. , , , , , , , .
- 1981. Internal representation of simple temporal patterns. J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform 7: 3–18. .
- 1984. A theoretical framework for rhythm perception. Psychol Res 45: 315–337. .
- 1997. Distributed neural systems underlying the timing of movements. J Neurosci 17: 5528–5535. , , , , , .
- 2000. Reduced interhemispheric inhibition in musicians. Exp Brain Res 133: 249–253. , , .
- 1990. Auditory perception of temporal and spectral events in patients with focal left and right cerebral lesions. Brain Lang 39: 539–555. , , .
- 1974. Rhythm is processed by the speech hemisphere. J Exp Psychol 102: 508–511. , .
- 1999. Neural representation of a rhythm depends on its interval ratio. J Neurosci 19: 10074–10081. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Melodic and harmonic discrimination following unilateral cerebral excision. Brain Cogn 7: 348–360. , .
- 2002. Deficits of musical timbre perception after unilateral temporal-lobe lesion revealed with multidimensional scaling. Brain 125: 511–523. , , .
- 1995a. Increased corpus callosum size in musicians. Neuropsychologia 33: 1047–1055. , , , , .
- 1995b. In vivo evidence of structural brain asymmetry in musicians. Science 267: 699–701. , , , .
- 2002. Morphology of Heschl's gyrus reflects enhanced activation in the auditory cortex of musicians. Nat Neurosci 5: 688–694. , , , , , .
- 2005. Structural and functional asymmetry of lateral Heschl's gyrus reflects pitch perception preference. Nat Neurosci 8: 1241–1247. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1950. The musical experience of composer, performer, listener. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 1980. Temporal ordering deficits following anterior temporal lobectomy. Brain Lang 11: 195–203. , .
- 1997. Musical languages. New York: W.W. Norton and Company. .
- 2005. Mapping auditory core, lateral belt, and parabelt cortices in the human superior temporal gyrus. J Comp Neurol 491: 270–289. , , .
- 1972. Brain damage and the ordering of two temporally successive stimuli. Neuropsychologia 10: 137–152. , .
- 1978. Impairment of auditory perception and language comprehension in dysphasia. Brain Lang 5: 13–34. , .
- 2002. Brain mapping: the methods, 2nd ed. Amsterdam: Academic Press. , .
- 1985. Discrimination and recognition of tonal melodies after unilateral cerebral excisions. Neuropsychologia 23: 31–41. .
- 1989. Intact absolute pitch ability after left temporal lobectomy. Cortex 25: 567–580. .
- 1994. Neural mechanisms underlying melodic perception and memory for pitch. J Neurosci 14: 1908–1919. , , .
- 1998. Functional specialization of human auditory cortex for musical processing. Brain 121(Pt 10): 1817–1818. .
- 2001. Spectral and temporal processing in human auditory cortex. Cereb Cortex 11: 946–953. , .
- 2003. Absolute pitch: a model for understanding the influence of genes and development on neural and cognitive function. Nat Neurosci 6: 692–695. .
- 2001. In-vivo analysis of the human planum temporale (PT): does the definition of PT borders influence the results with regard to cerebral asymmetry and correlation with handedness? Psychiatry Res 107: 99–115. , , , , , , , , .