Time course and development of light adaptation processes in the outer zebrafish retina
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 288A, Issue 6, pages 653–662, June 2006
How to Cite
Hodel, C., Neuhauss, S. C.F. and Biehlmaier, O. (2006), Time course and development of light adaptation processes in the outer zebrafish retina. Anat. Rec., 288A: 653–662. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20329
- Issue published online: 27 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Received: 18 NOV 2005
- Swiss National Science Foundation
- Velux Foundation
- EMBO Young Investigator Program
- 1958. The ocular structure, retinomotor and photobehavioural responses of juvenile Pacific salmon. PhD thesis. British Columbia: University of British Columbia. p 102. .
- 1971. Retinomotor response: characteristics and mechanisms. Vision Res 11: 1225–1288. .
- 2003. Double cone dystrophy and RPE degeneration in the retina of the zebrafish gnn mutant. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44: 1287–1298. , , .
- 2001. Rod contributions to the electroretinogram of the dark-adapted developing zebrafish. Dev Dyn 222: 564–570. , , .
- 1984. The development of photoreceptors in the zebrafish, Brachydanio rerio: I, structure. J Comp Neurol 224: 107–115. , .
- 1978. Thin (actin) and thick (myosinlike) filaments in cone contraction in the teleost retina. J Cell Biol 78: 227–246. .
- 1983. Retinomotor movements of photoreceptors and retinal pigment epithelium: mechanisms and regulation. Prog Retinal Res 2: 67–109. , .
- 1983. Retinomotor pigment migration in the teleost retinal pigment epithelium: I, roles for actin and microtubules in pigment granule transport and cone movement. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 24: 1–15. , , .
- 1991. Rhythmic regulation of retinal melatonin: metabolic pathways, neurochemical mechanisms, and the ocular circadian clock. Cell Mol Neurobiol 11: 529–560. , , .
- 1992. The effect of dopamine depletion on light-evoked and circadian retinomotor movements in the teleost retina. Vis Neurosci 9: 335–343. , , , , .
- 2004. Role of myosin VIIa and Rab27a in the motility and localization of RPE melanosomes. J Cell Sci 117: 6473–6483. , , , , , , , .
- 1978. The photoreceptors and pigment epithelium of the larval Xenopus retina: morphogenesis and outer segment renewal. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 201: 149–167. , .
- 1987. Early development of photoreceptors in the ventral retina of the zebrafish embryo. J Comp Neurol 260: 461–471. .
- 1990. Endogenous dopamine and cyclic events in the fish retina: II, correlation of retinomotor movement, spinule formation, and connexon density of gap junctions with dopamine activity during light/dark cycles. Vis Neurosci 5: 417–428. , , , .
- 1990. Endogenous dopamine and cyclic events in the fish retina: I, HPLC assay of total content and metabolic turnover during different light/dark cycles. Vis Neurosci 5: 143–159. , , , .
- 1996. Control of rod retinomotor movements in teleost retinae: the role of dopamine in mediating light-dependent and circadian signals. Cell Tissue Res 285: 445–451. , , .
- 1994. Circadian regulation of teleost retinal cone movements in vitro. J Gen Physiol 103: 487–499. , .
- 2005. Diurnal and circadian retinomotor movements in zebrafish. Vis Neurosci 22: 203–209. , , .
- 1994. Large-scale mutagenesis in the zebrafish: in search of genes controlling development in a vertebrate. Curr Biol 4: 189–202. , , , .
- 1985. Circadian regulation of retinomotor movements: I, interaction of melatonin and dopamine in the control of cone length. J Gen Physiol 86: 671–689. , .
- 1995. Developmental patterning of rod and cone photoreceptors in embryonic zebrafish. J Comp Neurol 359: 537–550. , , .
- 1999. Early retinal development in the zebrafish, Danio rerio: light and electron microscopic analyses. J Comp Neurol 404: 515–536. , .
- 1999. Cloning and characterization of six zebrafish photoreceptor opsin cDNAs and immunolocalization of their corresponding proteins. Vis Neurosci 16: 571–585. , , .
- 1980. Light-dependent plasticity of the morphology of horizontal cell terminals in cone pedicles of fish retinas. J Neurocytol 9: 573–590. .
- 1998. Evidence for an endogenous clock in the retina of rainbow trout: I, retinomotor movements, dopamine and melatonin. Neuroreport 9: 1205–1209. , , .
- 1992. Regulatory mechanisms in melatonin biosynthesis in retina. Neurochem Int 20: 23–36. , .