General organization of the perinatal and adult accessory olfactory bulb in mice
Article first published online: 4 AUG 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 288A, Issue 9, pages 1009–1025, September 2006
How to Cite
Salazar, I., Sanchez-Quinteiro, P., Cifuentes, J. M. and De Troconiz, P. F. (2006), General organization of the perinatal and adult accessory olfactory bulb in mice. Anat. Rec., 288A: 1009–1025. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20366
- Issue published online: 18 AUG 2006
- Article first published online: 4 AUG 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Received: 15 APR 2006
- Ministry of Education and Science, Spain. Grant Number: BFU2004-01004
- Council of Innovation, Industry and Commerce, Xunta de Galicia. Grant Number: PGIDIT05PXIC26103PN
- 1953. The morphology of the olfactory system in the vertebrates. Biol Rev 28: 195–244. .
- 2006. Adrenergic enhancement of inhibitory transmission in the accessory olfactory bulb. J Neurosci 26: 3292–3298. , .
- 1999. Development of the olfactory bulb: evidence for glia-neuron interactions in glomerular formation. J Comp Neurol 415: 423–448. , , .
- 1966. Cytological techniques: the principles underlying routine methods, 5th ed. New York: John Wiley and Sons. .
- 1972. Localization of the glial fibrillary acidic protein in astrocytes by immnunofluorescence. Brain Res 43: 429–435. , , , .
- 2002. Odorant receptor expression defines functional units in the mouse olfactory system. J Neurosci 22: 3033–3043. , , , .
- 2001. The vomeronasal system. Cell Mol Life Sci 58: 546–555. .
- 1986. Maturation and plasticity in the olfactory system of vertebrates. Brain Res Rev 11: 1–45. , .
- 1991. A novel multigene family may encode odorant receptors: a molecular basis for odor recognition. Cell 65: 175–187. , .
- 1902. Textura del lóbulo olfativo accesorio. Rev Microgr 1: 141–150. .
- 1939. Studies of the vertebrate telencephalon: I, the nuclear configuration of the olfactory and accessory olfactory formations and of the nucleus olfactorius anterior of certain reptiles, birds, and mammals. J Comp Neurol 71: 121–213. , .
- 2002. A divergent pattern of sensory axonal projections is rendered convergent by second-order neurons in the accessory olfactory bulb. Neuron 35: 1057–1066. , , , , .
- 1995. A novel family of genes encoding putative pheromone receptors in mammals. Cell 83: 195–206. , .
- 2003. Molecular detection of pheromone signal in mammals: from genes to behaviour. Nature Neurosci 4: 551–562. , .
- 1986. Principles of organization of the vertebrate olfactory glomerulus: an hypothesis. Neuroscience 19: 1025–1035. , .
- 1987. The organization and function of the vomeronasal system. Ann Rev Neurosci 10: 325–362. .
- 1998. Segregated pathway in the vomeronasal system. Micros Res Tech 41: 519–529. , , .
- 1998. Hetereogeneity in the accessory olfactory system. Chem Senses 23: 477–481. , , .
- 2003. Structure and function of the vomeronasal system: an update. Prog Neurobiol 70: 245–318. , .
- 1993. Role of a metabotropic glutamate receptor in synaptic modulation in the accessory olfactory bulb. Nature 366: 687–690. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Mechanism of olfactory discrimination: converging evidence for common principles across phyla. Ann Rev Neurosci 20: 595–631. , .
- 1968a. Autoradiographic study of histogenesis in the mouse olfactory bulb: I, time of origin on neurons and neuroglia. J Comp Neurol 134: 287–304. .
- 1968b. Autoradiographic study of histogenesis in the mouse olfactory bulb: I, cell proliferation and migration. J Comp Neurol 134: 304–322. .
- 1985. Immunochemical identification of subgroups of vomeronasal nerve fibers and their segregated terminations in the accessory olfactory bulb. Brain Res 328: 362–366. , , , .
- 1996. Subclasses of vomeronasal receptor neurons: differential expression of G proteins (Giα2 and Goα) and segregated projections to the accessory olfactory bulb. Brain Res 719: 117–128. , .
- 2003. On the topographic targeting of basal vomeronasal axons through Slit-mediated chemorepulsion. Development 130: 5073–5082. , , , , , , .
- 2002. The olfactory bulb as an independent developmental domain. Cell Death Differ 9: 1279–1286. , .
- 1972. A brain protein unique to the olfactory bulb. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 69: 1221–1224. .
- 1988. Microtubule-associated proteins: their potential role in determining neuronal morphology. Annu Rev Neurosci 11: 29–44. .
- 1998. Structure and diversity in mammalian accessory olfactory bulb. Micros Res Tech 43: 476–499. , .
- 1999. Seven-transmembrane proteins as odorants and chemosensory receptors. Science 286: 707–711. .
- 1987. Membrane and synaptic properties of identified neurons in the olfactory bulb. Prog Neurobiol 29: 275–320. .
- 2000. Zonal organization of the mammalian main and accessory olfactory systems. Philos Trans R Soc London B 355: 1801–1812. , , .
- 2005. Nerve ending “signal” proteins GAP-43, MARCKS, and BASP1. Int Rev Cytol 245: 245–325. .
- 1994. Information coding in the olfactory system: evidence for a stereotyped and highly organized epitope map in the olfactory bulb. Cell 79: 1245–1255. , , .
- 1998. Lectin binding patters in the vomeronasal organ and the accessory olfactory bulb of the rat. Anat Embryol 198: 331–339. , .
- 2001. Histochemical identification of carbohydrate moieties in the accessory olfactory bulb of the mouse using a panel of lectins. Chem Senses 26: 645–652. , , , .
- 2003. Differential development of binding sites for four lectins in the vomeronasal system of juvenile mouse: from the sensory transduction site to the first relay stage. Brain Res 979: 15–26. , .
- 1992. Glycoconjugates are stage- and position-specific cell surface molecules in the developing olfactory system: 1, the CC1 immunoreactive glycolipid defines a rostrocaudal gradient in the rat vomeronasal system. J Neurobiol 23: 120–129. , , , .
- 1985. Lectin histochemical identification of carbohydrate moieties in opossum chemosensory system during development, with special emphasis on VVA-identified subdivisions in the accessory olfactory bulb. J Morphol 224: 331–349. , , .
- 1998. Olfactory bulb. In: ShepherdGM, editor. The synaptic organization of the brain. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p 159–204. , .
- 1993. Differential OMP expression in opossum accessory olfactory bulb. Neuroreport 5: 193–196. , , .
- 1989. Axonal growth-associated proteins. Annu Rev Neurosci 12: 127–156. .
- 2000. Novel subdivisions of the rat accessory olfactory bulb revealed by the combined method with lectin histochemistry, electrophysiological and optical recordings. Neuroscience 95: 23–32. , , .
- 1991. Light microscopic Golgi study of mitral/tufted cells in the accessory olfactory bulb of the adult rat. J Comp Neurol 311: 65–83. , .
- 2001. Properties of reciprocal synapses in the mouse accessory olfactory bulb. Neuroscience 108: 365–370. , .
- 1992. Formation of an olfactory glomerulus: morphological aspects of development and organization. Neuroscience 49: 255–275. , , .
- 1993. Spatial segregation of odorant receptor expression in the mammalian olfactory epithelium. Cell 74: 309–318. , , .
- 1989. The expression of the growth associated protein B50/GAP43 in the olfactory system of neonatal and adult rats. J Neuroscience 9: 683–691. , , , .
- 1997. OCAM reveals segregated mitral/tufted cells pathways in developing accessory olfactory bulb. Neuroreport 8: 2607–2612. , , .
- 1981. Estimation of number of vomeronasal synapsis in the glomerular layer of the accessory olfactory bulb of the mouse at different ages. Brain Res 205: 245–253. , .
- 1997. OCAM: a new member of the neural cell adhesion molecule family related to zone-to-zone projection of olfactory and vomeronasal axons. J Neurosci 17: 5830–5842. , , , , , , .