High-pressure freezing and freeze substitution of rat myocardium for immunogold labeling of connexin 43
Article first published online: 1 SEP 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part A: Discoveries in Molecular, Cellular, and Evolutionary Biology
Volume 288A, Issue 10, pages 1059–1067, October 2006
How to Cite
Mühlfeld, C. and Richter, J. (2006), High-pressure freezing and freeze substitution of rat myocardium for immunogold labeling of connexin 43. Anat. Rec., 288A: 1059–1067. doi: 10.1002/ar.a.20380
- Issue published online: 21 SEP 2006
- Article first published online: 1 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAY 2006
- Youth Travel Fund at the Federation of European Biochemical Societies
- 2005. Connexin 43 in cardiomyocyte mitochondria and its increase by ischemic preconditioning. Cardiovasc Res 67: 234–244. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Gap junctions between cultured astrocytes: immunocytochemical, molecular, and electrophysiological analysis. J Neurosci 11: 1421–1432. , , , .
- 1980. Quantitative correlation between cell swelling and necrosis in myocardial ischemia in dogs. Circ Res 47: 653–665. , .
- 1991. Freezing: facts and hypothesis. Scanning Microsc 5( Suppl): S11–S15. , , , .
- 1995. High-pressure freezing for cryoelectron microscopy. Trends Cell Biol 5: 366–368. .
- 1990. Changes in the expression of connexin 43, a cardiac gap junctional protein, during mouse heart development. J Mol Cell Cardiol 22: 1245–1258. , , , , .
- 1992. Distribution pattern of connexin 43, a gap junctional protein, during the differentiation of mouse heart myocytes. Differentiation 51: 9–20. , , .
- 1991. Interrelationships of ultrastructure and function in the microvasculature of normal and ischaemic myocardium. J Electron Microsc Tech 19: 429–438. , , .
- 1992. Immunolabeling patterns of gap junction connexins in the developing and mature rat heart. Anat Embryol 185: 363–378. , , , .
- 1994. Restricted distribution of connexin40, a gap junctional protein, in mammalian heart. Circ Res 74: 839–851. , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Stereological estimation of the volume-weighted mean volume of arbitrary particles observed on random sections. J Microsc 138: 127–142. , .
- 1996. High-pressure freezing of tissue obtained by fine-needle biopsy. J Microsc 183: 133–139. , , .
- 1998. Unbiased stereology: three-dimensional measurement in microscopy. Oxford: BIOS. , .
- 2001. The origin of annular junctions: a mechanism of gap junction internalization. J Cell Sci 114: 763–773. , , , .
- 1996. The life cycle of a connexin: gap junction formation, removal, and degradation. J Bioenerg Biomembr 28: 311–318. .
- 1989. Quantitative analysis of intercellular connections by immunohistochemistry of the cardiac gap junction protein connexin-43. Circ Res 65: 1450–1457. , , , .
- 2004. A simple method for comparing immunogold distributions in two or more experimental groups illustrated using GLUT1 labeling of isolated trophoblast cells. Placenta 25: 580–584. , .
- 2004. Application of an efficient method for comparing immunogold labeling patterns in the same sets of compartments in different groups of cells. Histochem Cell Biol 122: 171–177. , , .
- 1999. High-pressure freezing for preservation of high resolution fine structure and antigenicity for immunolabeling. Methods Mol Biol 117: 77–97. .
- 1998. High-pressure freezing for immunocytochemistry. J Microsc 192: 248–258. , , .
- 2005. Electron microscopy and microcalorimetry of the postnatal rat heart (Rattus norvegicus). Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 141: 310–318. , , , , .
- 2006. Myocardial ischemia tolerance in the newborn rat involving opioid receptors and mitochondrial K+-channels. Anat Rec 288A: 297–303. , , , , , , .
- 1986. Preconditioning with ischemia: a delay of lethal cell injury in ischemic myocardium. Circulation 74: 1124–1136. , , .
- 1993. Freeze substitution after fast-freeze fixation preparation for immunocytochemistry. Microsc Res Tech 24: 286–290. , .
- 1992. The isector: a simple method for generating isotropic, uniform random sections from small specimens. J Microsc 165: 427–431. , .
- 1999. Development of cardiac sensitivity to oxygen deficiency: comparative and ontogenetic aspects. Physiol Rev 79: 635–659. , , .
- 1994. Spatiotemporal relation between gap junctions and fascia adherens junctions during postnatal development of human ventricular myocardium. Circulation 90: 713–725. , , , , , .
- 2004. Preservation of immunoreactivity and fine structure of adult C. elegans tissues using high-pressure freezing. J Histochem Cytochem 52: 1–12. , , , , .
- 2000. Connexin expression and turnover: implications for cardiac excitability. Circ Res 86: 723–728. , , .
- 2002. No ischemic preconditioning in heterozygous connexin43-deficient mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 283: H1740–H1742. , , , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of connexin biosynthesis, assembly, gap junction formation, and removal. Biochim Biophys Acta 1662: 3–21. , .
- 1999. Neonatal tolerance to hypoxia: a comparative-physiological approach. Comp Biochem Physiol A 123: 221–234. .
- 1982. Physical randomization of tissue architecture: an alternative of systematic sampling. J Microsc 126: 179–182. , , .
- 2001. A new approach for cryofixation by high-pressure freezing. J Microsc 203: 285–294. , , , .
- 2003. A rapid microbiopsy system to improve the preservation of biological samples prior to high-pressure freezing. J Microsc 212: 3–12. , , , , , .
- 2006. Redistribution of connexin43 in regional acute ischemic myocardium: influence of ischemic preconditioning. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291: H813–H819. , , , , , .
- 2005. High-pressure freezing followed by cryosubstitution as a tool for preserving high-quality ultrastructure and immunoreactivity in the Xenopus laevis pituitary gland. Brain Res Protoc 15: 155–163. , , .
- 1979. Stereological methods, vol. 1, practical methods for biological morphometry. London: Academic Press. .