A clinician's view of spinal cord injury
Article first published online: 27 FEB 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part B: The New Anatomist
Special Issue: Olfactory Ensheathing Cells: Therapeutic potential for spinal cord regeneration
Volume 271B, Issue 1, pages 41–48, March 2003
How to Cite
Harkey, H.Louis., White, E. A., Tibbs, R. E. and Haines, D. E. (2003), A clinician's view of spinal cord injury. Anat. Rec., 271B: 41–48. doi: 10.1002/ar.b.10012
- Issue published online: 27 FEB 2003
- Article first published online: 27 FEB 2003
- Anonymous. 2000. International standards for neurological and functional classification of spinal cord injury, revised 2000. Chicago, IL: the American Spinal Cord Injury Association.
- Anonymous. 2001. Spinal cord injury: Facts and figures at a glance. J Spinal Cord Med 24: 212–213.
- 1971. Incomplete traumatic quadriplegia: A ten year review. JAMA 216: 473–478. , , .
- 2003. Olfactory ensheathing cells: Historical perspective and therapeutic potential. Anat Rec (New Anat) 271B: 49–60. , , , .
- 1990. A randomized, controlled trial of Methylprednisolone or Naloxone in the treatment of acute spinal-cord injury. N Engl J Med 17: 1405–1411. , , , et al.
- 1992. Methylprednisolone or naloxone treatment after acute spinal cord injury: 1-year follow-up data. J Neurosurg 76: 23–31. , , , et al.
- 1997. Administration of methylprednisolone for 24 or 48 h or tirilazad mesylate for 48 h in the treatment of acute spinal cord injury. Results of the third National Acute Spinal Cord Injury randomized controlled trial. JAMA 277: 1597–1604. , , , et al.
- 1998. Methylprednisolone or tirilazad mesylate administration after acute spinal cord injury: 1-year follow up. Results of the third National Acute Spinal Cord injury randomized controlled trial. J Neurosurg 89: 699–706. , , , et al.
- 2000. A critical appraisal of the reporting of the National Acute Spinal Cord Injury Studies (II and III) of Methylprednisolone in acute spinal cord injury. J Spinal Disord 13: 185–199. , , , et al.
- 1995. Historical introduction to spinal cord injury: The contributions of Allen, Riddoch, and Guttmann. In: Contemporary management of spinal cord injury. Park Ridge, Illinois: The American Association of Neurological Surgeons. p 1–7. .
- Council on Scientific Affairs. 1983. Automobile-related injuries, components, trends, prevention. JAMA 249: 3216–3222.
- 1982. The poly-trauma and spinal cord injury. In: TatorCH, editor. Early management of acute spinal cord injury. New York: Raven Press. p 53–58. , .
- 1931. The Edwin Smith Surgical Papyrus and the diagnosis and treatment of injuries to the skull and spine 5000 years ago. Ann Med Hist 3: 271–279. .
- 1989. The National Head and Spinal Cord Injury Prevention Program. J Med Assoc Ga 78: 333–338. , .
- 1991. Recovery of motor function after spinal-cord injury: A randomized, placebo-controlled trial with GM-1 ganglioside. N Engl J Med 324: 1829–1838. , , .
- The Sygen Study Group. 2001a. The Sygen multicenter acute spinal cord injury study. Spine 26 (Suppl 24): S87–S98. , , ,
- The Sygen Study Group. 2001b. Measurements and recovery patterns in a multicenter study of acute spinal cord injury. Spine 26 (Suppl 24): S68–S86. , , ,
- The Sygen Study Group. 2001c. Recruitment and early treatment in a multicenter study of acute spinal cord injury. Spine. 26 (Suppl 24): S58–S67. , , ,
- 1991. Prevention of thromboembolism after spinal cord injury. Semin Thromb Hemost 17: 347–350. .
- 2001. Handbook of neurosurgery. New York, NY: Thieme. .
- 1997. A history of neurosurgery in its scientific and professional contexts. Park Ridge, Illinois: The American Association of Neurological Surgeons. , , .
- 2002. Fundamental neuroscience. 2nd ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone. p 142. Figure 9-4. .
- 1989. Functional outcome following spinal cord injury. A comparison of specialized spinal cord center vs general hospital short-term care. Arch Neurol 46: 1098–1102. , , , et al.
- 2000. Methylprednisolone for acute spinal cord injury: An inappropriate standard of care. J Neurosurg 93 (Suppl 1): 1–7. .
- 2003. Olfactory ensheathing cells: Therapeutic potential in spinal cord injury and other neurological disorders. Anat Rec (New Anat) 271B: 39–40. .
- 1990. Pulmonary considerations in the critical care phase. Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 2: 369–374. .
- 1990. Neuroscience critical care: Pathophysiology and patient management. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders. , , , et al.
- 1993. Enhancing host resistance to pressure ulcers; a new approach to prevention. Prev Med 22: 433–450. , ,
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. 1988. Fatal accident reporting systems, 1987. Washington, DC: US Dept of Transportation.
- 1992. Pharmacologic strategies in the treatment of experimental spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma 9 (Suppl 1): S211–S217. , .
- 1993. Missed injuries associated with spinal cord trauma. Am Surg 59: 371–374. , , .
- 2001. Epidemiology, dermographics, and pathophysiology of acute spinal cord injury. Spine 26 (Suppl): S2–S12. ,
- 1991. Urologic complications of spinal cord injury. Urol Clin North Am 20: 453–461. , .
- 1984. The Florida approach to spinal cord injury prevention. Rehabil Lit 45: 85–89. , , .
- 1990. The cost of economic consequences of traumatic spinal cord injury. Paraplegia News August: 50–54. .
- 1998. Spinal cord injury incidence in Mississippi: A capture-recapture approach. J Trauma 45: 502–504. , , , , , .
- 2000. Spinal cord injury in Mississippi. Findings and evaluation, 1992–1994. Spine 25: 716–721. , , , , .
- 1544. Chirurgia è Graeco in Latinum Connersa. Paris. .
- 1988. Towards prevention of spinal cord injury: The role of a national register. Paraplegia 26: 389–392. .
- 1987. Prevention of spinal cord injuries in Australia. Paraplegia 25: 221–224. , .