Dr. Zumwalt is a research associate in the Department of Biological Anthropology and Anatomy at Duke University. She teaches gross anatomy to medical, graduate, and undergraduate students. She is interested in the influence of external load on bone morphology.
A new method for quantifying the complexity of muscle attachment sites
Article first published online: 21 SEP 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part B: The New Anatomist
Volume 286B, Issue 1, pages 21–28, September 2005
How to Cite
Zumwalt, A. (2005), A new method for quantifying the complexity of muscle attachment sites. Anat. Rec., 286B: 21–28. doi: 10.1002/ar.b.20075
- Issue published online: 21 SEP 2005
- Article first published online: 21 SEP 2005
- National Science Foundation-BCS. Grant Number: 0209411
- 1987. Life stresses of the Free Black community as represented by the First African Baptist Church, Philadelphia, 1823–1841. Am J Phys Anthropol 74: 213–229. , , , .
- 1991. Quantitative differences in the histology of the attachment zones of the meniscal horns in the knee joint of man. J Anat 177: 127–134. , , , , .
- 1992. The structure of the insertions of the tendons of biceps brachii, triceps and brachialis in elderly dissecting room cadavers. J Anat 180: 327–332. , , , , .
- 1998. Fibrocartilage in tendons and ligaments: an adaptation to compressive load. J Anat 193: 481–494. , .
- 2002. The skeletal attachment of tendons-tendon “entheses.” Comp Biochem Physiol Part A 133: 931–945. , , , , , .
- 1999. Atlas of occupational markers on human remains. Chieti, Italy: Associazione Antropologica Abruzzese. , , .
- 1970. Tendon and ligament insertion. J Bone Joint Surg 52A: 1–20. , .
- 2001. Tissue-engineered rotator cuff tendon using porcine small intestine submucosa: histologica and mechanical evaluation in dogs. Am J Sports Med 29: 175–184. , , , , .
- 1990. Fibrocartilage in the attachment zones of the quadriceps tendon and patellar ligament of man. J Anat 171: 155–162. , , .
- 1988. Use of upper extremity enthesopathies to indicate habitual activity patterns. Tempe, AZ: Arizona State University. .
- 1995. Activity-induced musculoskeletal stress markers (MSM) and subsistence strategy changes among ancient Hudson Bay Eskimos. Int J Osteoarchaeol 5: 324–338. , .
- 1994. Development of functional interactions between skeletal and muscular systems. In: HallBK, editor. Differentiation and morphogenesis of bone. Boca Raton: CRC Press. .
- 2001. Postcranial robusticity and rugosity patterning in modern humans. Kansas City, MO: American Association of Physical Anthropology. , .
- 1998a. Strain contribution to the morphology of the canine supraspinatus tendon insertion site. New Orleans, LA: 44th Annual Meeting (Orthopaedic Research Society Meetings). p 20–24. , , , , , .
- 1998b. Quantitative analysis of trabecular orientation at the canine patellar tendon insertion site. New Orleans, LA: 44th Annual Meeting (Orthopaedic Research Society Meetings). p 555. , , , , , .
- 1994. A random walk through fractal dimensions, 2nd ed. New York: VCH. .
- 1987. Life stresses of slavery. Am J Phys Anthropol 74: 199–211. , .
- 1998. Markers of occupational stress: conspectus and prognosis of research. Int J Osteoarchaeol 8: 305–310. .
- 1991. Aleut kayak-hunter's hypertrophic humerus. Curr Res Pleist 8: 55–56. , , .
- 1988. Crimp as an index of ligament insertion strain. Ottawa, Ontario: 23rd Annual Canadian Orthopaedic Research Society. , .
- 1995. Stress governs tissue phenotype at the femoral insertion of the rabbit MCL. J Biomech 28: 147–157. , , , .
- 2000. Using ArcMap: GIS by ESRI. Redlands, CA: Environmental Systems Research Institute. .
- 1994. Issues in the skeletal interpretation of muscle attachments. Anaheim, CA: Annual Meeting of the Paleoanthropology Society. p 23. .
- 1998. The interpretation of skeletal muscle sites: a statistical approach. Int J Osteoarchaeol 8: 363–377. .
- 1998. Musculoskeletal evidence for activity: problems of evaluation. Int J Osteoarchaeol 8: 354–362. .
- 1995. Differences in distribution of myofiber types between the supraspinatus and infraspinatus muscles of sheep. Anat Rec 242: 483–490. .
- 1999. A histomorphometric analysis of the human patellar tendon insertion. Anaheim, CA: Orthopaedic Research Society. p 1090. , , , .
- 2000. Exploring the effects of tooth wear on functional morphology: a preliminary study using dental topographic analysis. Palaeontolo Electron 3: 18. , .
- 1997. Mostly MOS: technical aspects of identification of skeletal markers of occupational stress. In: ReichsKJ, editor. Forensic osteology: advances in the identification of human remains. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas. p 461–490. , .
- 1998. Consideration of sexual dimorphism, age, and asymmetry in quantitative measurements of muscle insertion sites. Int J Osteoarchaeol 8: 311–325. .
- 2005. The effect of endurance exercise on the morphology of muscle attachment sites: an experimental study in sheep (Ovis aries). Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. .