Dr. Blackwell received her VMD and PhD from the University of Pennsylvania and is an associate professor in the School of Computational Sciences, and the Krasnow Institute for Advanced Studies at George Mason University. Her research examines the synaptic and ionic currents and second-messenger pathways involved in associative learning, using a combination of experimental and computational techniques.
Subcellular, cellular, and circuit mechanisms underlying classical conditioning in Hermissenda crassicornis
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part B: The New Anatomist
Volume 289B, Issue 1, pages 25–37, January 2006
How to Cite
Blackwell, K. T. (2006), Subcellular, cellular, and circuit mechanisms underlying classical conditioning in Hermissenda crassicornis. Anat. Rec., 289B: 25–37. doi: 10.1002/ar.b.20090
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2006
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- 1993. Differential modulation of voltage-dependent currents in Hermissenda type B photoreceptors by serotonin. J Neurophysiol 70: 541–548. , .
- 1972. Response of photoreceptors in Hermissenda. J Gen Physiol 60: 631–649. , .
- 1978. Long-lasting depolarization and hyperpolarization in eye of Hermissenda. J Neurophysiol 41: 1328–1342. , .
- 1980a. Cellular analysis of a gastropod (Hermissenda crassicornis) model of associative learning. Biol Bull 159: 505–560. .
- 1980b. Membrane depolarization accumulates during acquisition of an associative behavioral change. Science 210: 1375–1376. .
- 1984. Voltage-dependent calcium and calcium-activated potassium currents of a molluscan photoreceptor. Biophys J 46: 605–614. , , , .
- 1985. Reduction of two voltage-dependant K+ currents mediates retention of a learned association. Behav Neural Biol 44: 278–300. , , , , , .
- 1993. GABA-mediated synaptic interaction between the visual and vestibular pathways of Hermissenda. J Neurochem 61: 556–566. , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Activation of a brain-specific protein kinase C subspecies in the presence of phosphatidylethanol. FEBS Lett 231: 221–224. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Neurochemical and immunocytochemical studies of serotonin in the Hermissenda central nervous system. Brain Res Bull 22: 353–361. , , .
- 2003. Multiple serotonergic mechanisms contributing to sensitization in Aplysia: evidence of diverse serotonin receptor subtypes. Learn Mem 10: 373–386. , , , , .
- 1983. Single-unit analysis of different hippocampal cell types during classical conditioning of rabbit nictitating membrane response. J Neurophysiol 50: 1197–1219. , , , .
- 1988. Cytosolic calcium oscillators. FASEB J 2: 3074–3082. , .
- 1999. Ryanodine receptor modulation of in vitro associative learning in Hermissenda crassicornis. Brain Res 822: 114–125. , .
- 2002a. Calcium waves and closure of potassium channels in response to GABA stimulation in Hermissenda type B photoreceptors. J Neurophysiol 87: 776–792. .
- 2002b. The effect of intensity and duration on the light-induced sodium and potassium currents in the Hermissenda type B photoreceptor. J Neurosci 22: 4217–4228. .
- 2004. Paired turbulence and light do not produce a supralinear calcium increase in Hermissenda. J Comput Neurosci 17: 81–99. .
- 2001. Synaptic plasticity in the lateral amygdala: a cellular hypothesis of fear conditioning. Learn Mem 8: 229–242. , , , , .
- 1993. A synaptic model of memory: long-term potentiation in the hippocampus. Nature 361: 31–39. , .
- 1999. Background leak K+-currents and oxygen sensing in carotid body type 1 cells. Respir Physiol 115: 179–187. .
- 2003. Computational study of enhanced excitability in Hermissenda: membrane conductances modulated by 5-HT. J Comp Neurosci 15: 105–121. , , .
- 1988. Sequential modification of membrane currents with classical conditioning. Biophys J 54: 955–960. , , , , .
- 1999. Dynamic restructuring of a rhythmic motor program by a single mechanoreceptor neuron in lobster. J Neurosci 19: 3620–3628. , , .
- 1984. Light- and voltage-dependent increases of calcium ion concentration in molluscan photoreceptors. J Neurophysiol 51: 745–752. , .
- 1989. Classic conditioning reduces amplitude and duration of calcium-dependant afterhyperpolarization in rabbit hippocampal pyramidal cells. J Neurophysiol 61: 971–981. , , , , , .
- 1986. Drosophila mutations that alter ionic conduction disrupt acquisition and retention of a conditioned odor avoidance response. J Neurogenet 3: 187–201. , .
- 1978. Retention of an associative behavioral change in Hermissenda. Science 201: 1240–1241. , .
- 1980. Associative behavioral modification in Hermissenda: cellular correlates. Science 209: 412–414. , .
- 1985. Conditioned modification of phototactic behavior in Hermissenda: II, differential adaptation of B-photoreceptors. J Neurosci 5: 215–223. .
- 1985. Serotonin modulates photoresponses in Hermissenda type-B photoreceptors. Neurosci Lett 60: 83–88. , .
- 1986. Light paired with serotonin mimics the effect of conditioning on phototactic behavior of Hermissenda. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83: 7975–7978. , .
- 1991. Down-regulation of protein kinase C blocks 5-HT-induced enhancement in Hermissenda B photoreceptors. Neurosci Lett 121: 107–110. , , , , .
- 1998. Phosphorylation of mitogen-activated protein kinase by one-trial and multi-trial classical conditioning. J Neurosci 18: 3480–3487. , , , , .
- 2001. Serotonin activation of the ERK pathway in Hermissenda: contribution of calcium-dependent protein kinase C. J Neurochem 78: 358–364. , , , .
- 2002a. Facilitation of monosynaptic and complex PSPs in type I interneurons of conditioned Hermissenda. J Neurosci 22: 7818–7824. , .
- 2002b. Morphological characteristics and central projections of two types of interneurons in the visual pathway of Hermissenda. J Neurophysiol 87: 322–332. , .
- 2003a. Interneuronal projections to identified cilia-activating pedal neurons in Hermissenda. J Neurophysiol 89: 2420–2429. , .
- 2003b. Neural correlates of Pavlovian conditioning in components of the neural network supporting ciliary locomotion in Hermissenda. Learn Mem 10: 209–216. , .
- 2004. Pavlovian conditioning of Hermissenda: current cellular, molecular, and circuit perspectives. Learn Mem 11: 229–238. .
- 2004. Statocyst hair cell activation of identified interneurons and foot contraction motor neurons in Hermissenda. J Neurophysiol 91: 2874–2883. , .
- 2003. Long-term plasticity of intrinsic excitability: learning rules and mechanisms. Learn Mem 10: 456–465. , .
- 1975. Responses of hair cells in the statocyst of Hermissenda. J Physiol 251: 107–129. , .
- 1976. Multiple light-evoked conductance changes in the photoreceptors of Hermissenda crassicornis. J Physiol 256: 691–708. .
- 1999. K+ currents of glomus cells and chemosensory functions of carotid body. Respir Physiol 115: 151–160. .
- 1986. Protein kinase C activation induces conductance changes in Hermissenda photoreceptors like those seen in associative learning. Nature 319: 220–223. , .
- 1989. Serotonin modulation of Hermissenda type B photoreceptor light responses and ionic currents: implications for mechanisms underlying associative learning. Brain Res Bull 22: 335–351. , .
- 1990. Associative learning changes intrinsic to Hermissenda type A photoreceptors. Behav Neurosci 104: 135–152. , , .
- 1997. Ionic basis of learning-correlated excitability changes in Hermissenda type A photoreceptors. J Neurophysiol 77: 1861–1888. , .
- 2003. A computational study of the role of spike broadening in synaptic facilitation of Hermissenda. J Comp Neurosci 15: 29–41. , , , .
- 1996a. Modeling Hermissenda: I, differential contributions of IA and IC to type-B cell plasticity. J Comp Neurosci 3: 137–153. , .
- 1996b. Modeling Hermissenda: II, effects of variations in type-B cell excitability, synaptic strength, and network architecture. J Comp Neurosci 3: 155–172. , .
- 1993. Differential expression of correlates of classical conditioning in identified medial and lateral type A photoreceptors of Hermissenda. J Neurosci 13: 2889–2897. , .
- 1997. Synaptic enhancement and enhanced excitability in presynaptic and postsynaptic neurons in the conditioned stimulus pathway of Hermissenda. J Neurosci 17: 4426–4433. , .
- 2000. Modulation of presynaptic action potential kinetics underlies synaptic facilitation of type B photoreceptors after associative conditioning in Hermissenda. J Neurosci 20: 2022–2035. , .
- 1984. Sensory, interneuronal, and motor interactions within Hermissenda visual pathway. J Neurophysiol 52: 156–169. , .
- 1985. Input and output changes of an identified neural pathway are correlated with associative learning in Hermissenda. J Neurosci 5: 536–543. , , .
- 1976. Classical conditioning and instrumental learning: a contemporary approach. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott. .
- 1999. Critical duration of intracellular Ca2+ response required for continuous translocation and activation of cytosolic phospholipase A2. J Biol Chem 274: 5163–5169. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Characterization of 4 light-responsive putative motor neurons in the pedal ganglia of Hermissenda crassicornis. Brain Res 557: 255–264. , .
- 1992. Cellular correlates of classical conditioning in identified light responsive pedal neurons of Hermissenda crassicornis. Brain Res 20; 570: 267–271. , .
- 1994. Intracellular calcium signals are enhanced for days after Pavlovian conditioning. J Neurochem 62: 1337–1344. , , , , , .
- 1999. Central pattern generator for escape swimming in the notaspid sea slug Pleurobranchaea californica. J Neurophysiol 81: 654–667. , .
- 2000. Escape swim network interneurons have diverse roles in behavioral switching and putative arousal in Pleurobranchaea. J Neurophysiol 83: 1346–1355. , .
- 1999. The past, the future and the biology of memory storage. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 354: 2027–2052. , .
- 1985. Serotonin immunoreactivity in the circumesophageal nervous system of Hermissenda crassicornis. Neurosci Lett 62: 199–205. , .
- 2004. Brains, innovations and evolution in birds and primates. Brain Behav Evol 63: 233–246. , , .
- 1991. Arachidonic acid and diacylglycerol act synergistically to activate protein kinase C in vitro and in vivo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 179: 1522–1528. , , , .
- 2002. AMPA receptor trafficking and synaptic plasticity. Annu Rev Neurosci 25: 103–126. , .
- 1996. Principles of rhythmic motor pattern generation. Physiol Rev 76: 687–717. , .
- 1993. Postsynaptic calcium, but not cumulative depolarization, is necessary for the induction of associative plasticity in Hermissenda. J Neurosci 13: 5029–5040. , .
- 1998. Ubiquitous molecular substrates for associative learning and activity-dependent neuronal facilitation. Rev Neurosci 9: 129–167. , , , .
- 2003. Comparison of Hermissenda type A and type B photoreceptors: response to light as a function of intensity and duration. J Neurosci 23: 8020–8028. , .
- 1996. Trace eyeblink conditioning increases CA1 excitability in a transient and learning-specific manner. J Neurosci 16: 5536–5546. , , .
- 1997. Incremental redistribution of protein kinase C underlies the acquisition curve during in vitro associative conditioning in Hermissenda. Behav Neurosci 111: 739–753. , , .
- 1998. Intracellular Ca2+ and adaption of voltage responses to light in Hermissenda photoreceptors. Neuroreport 9: 1625–1631. , , .
- 2001. Receptor-stimulated phospholipase A(2) liberates arachidonic acid and regulates neuronal excitability through protein kinase C. J Neurophysiol 85: 1639–1647. , , , , .
- 1999. In vitro analog of operant conditioning in Aplysia: II, modifications of the functional dynamics of an identified neuron contribute to motor pattern selection. J Neurosci 19: 2261–2272. , , .
- 1981. Change in a specific phosphoprotein band following associative learning in Hermissenda. Nature 293: 658–660. , , .
- 1998. Protein kinase C as a molecular machine for decoding calcium and diacylglycerol signals. Cell 95: 307–318. , .
- 2002. Highly dissimilar behaviors mediated by a multifunctional network in the marine mollusk Tritonia diomedea. J Neurosci 22: 1985–1993. , .
- 2004. Invertebrate learning: what can't a worm learn? Curr Biol 14: R617–R618. .
- 1987. Motor correlates of phototaxis and associative learning in Hermissenda crassicornis. Brain Res Bull 19: 175–189. , .
- 1995. G-Protein mediated responses to localized serotonin application in a invertebrate photoreceptor. Neuroreport 6: 2161–2165. , .
- 1996. Higher-order associative processing in Hermissenda suggests multiple sites of neuronal modulation. Learn Mem 2: 279–298. , .
- 1993. Reconstruction of ionic currents in a molluscan photoreceptor. Biophys J 65: 519–527. , , , , .
- 1998. Evidence for the involvement of inositol trisphosphate but not cyclic nucleotides in visual transduction in Hermissenda eye. J Biol Chem 273: 20795–20801. , , .
- 1998. Intracellular correlates of acquisition and long-term memory of classical conditioning in Purkinje cell dendrites in slices of rabbit cerebellar lobule HVI. J Neurosci 18: 5498–5507. , , , , .
- 2001. Imaging learning and memory: classical conditioning. Anat Rec 265: 257–273. , .
- 1994. Synaptic facilitation at connections of Hermissenda type B photoreceptors. J Neurosci 14: 1613–1622. , .
- 1991. Synergistic action of diacylglycerol and unsaturated fatty acid for protein kinase C. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 5149–5153. , , , , .
- 1997. Long-term potentiation: what's learning got to do with it? Behav Brain Sci 20: 597–614. , .
- 1996. Structure and function of declarative and nondeclarative memory systems. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 13515–13522. , .
- 1969. Some morphological aspects of the visual system of Hermissenda crassicornis (Mollusca: Nudibranchia). J Ultrastruct Res 27: 510–532. , , .
- 2001. The neuronal MAP kinase cascade: a biochemical signal integration system subserving synaptic plasticity and memory. J Neurochem 76: 1–10. .
- 1996. Calcium influx and release from intracellular stores contribute differentially to activity-dependent neuronal facilitation in Hermissenda photoreceptors. Neurobiol Learn Mem 66: 183–197. , .
- 1997. Phospholipases and arachidonic acid contribute independently to sensory transduction and associative neuronal facilitation in Hermissenda type B photoreceptors. Brain Res 751: 196–205. , , .
- 1984. Long-term potentiation as a candidate mnemonic device. Brain Res 319: 15–28. , .
- 1994. Oscillatory synaptic interactions between ventroposterior and reticular neurons in mouse thalamus in vitro. J Neurophysiol 72: 1993–2003. , , .
- 1993. Associative learning in a network model of Hermissenda crassicornis: II, experiments. Biol Cybern 69: 19–28. , , , , .
- 2000. Networks of interneurons with fast and slow gamma-aminobutyric acid type A (GABAA) kinetics provide substrate for mixed gamma-theta rhythm. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 8128–8133. , , , .
- 1989. The discovery of the principles of reinforcement, extinction, generalization, and differentiation of conditional reflexes in Pavlov's laboratories. Pavlov J Biol Sci 24: 35–42. .
- 1998. Expression of different types of inward rectifier currents confers specificity of light and dark responses in type A and B photoreceptors of Hermissenda. J Neurosci 18: 6501–6511. , , .