Dr. Kumar is a professor in the Department of Pathology at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) and is actively involved in teaching and curriculum development for medicine and science students. His research interests are in the role of cytokines and growth factors in the pathogenesis of asthma.
Integrating histology and histopathology teaching in practical classes using virtual slides
Article first published online: 24 JUL 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part B: The New Anatomist
Volume 289B, Issue 4, pages 128–133, July 2006
How to Cite
Kumar, R. K., Freeman, B., Velan, G. M. and De Permentier, P. J. (2006), Integrating histology and histopathology teaching in practical classes using virtual slides. Anat. Rec., 289B: 128–133. doi: 10.1002/ar.b.20105
- Issue published online: 24 JUL 2006
- Article first published online: 24 JUL 2006
- 2003. Teaching medical histology at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine: transition to virtual slides and virtual microscopes. Anat Rec (New Anat) 275: 196–206. , , .
- 2002. Using Web-based animations to teach histology. Anat Rec 269: 11–9. , , , .
- 2003. A digital approach to cellular ultrastructure in medical histology: creation and implementation of an interactive atlas of electron microscopy. JIAMSE 13: 30–5. .
- 2001. Laboratory instruction in histology at the University at Buffalo: recent replacement of microscope exercises with computer applications. Anat Rec 265: 212–221. .
- 2005. Virtual slides for teaching histology and pathology. In: GuJ, OgilvieRW, editors. Virtual microscopy and virtual slides in teaching, diagnosis and research. New York: Taylor and Francis. p 141–149. , .
- General Medical Council. 2002. Tomorrow's doctors: recommendations on undergraduate medical education. London: GMC.
- 2005. New approach to teaching histology. JIAMSE 15: 57–59. , , .
- 2001. Comparison of a virtual microscope laboratory to a regular microscope laboratory for teaching histology. Anat Rec 265: 10–14. , , , , , .
- 2002. Integrated approach to teaching and testing in histology with real and virtual imaging. Anat Rec 269: 107–112. , , , , , .
- 2005. Complete and rapid switch from light microscopy to virtual microscopy for teaching medical histology. Anat Rec (New Anat) 285: 19–25. , .
- 2004. Virtual microscopy for learning and assessment in pathology. J Pathol 204: 613–618. , , , , , .
- 2005. WebMic, a virtual microscope for learning histology: results of implementation in medical histology course. In: GuJ, OgilvieRW, editors. Virtual microscopy and virtual slides in teaching, diagnosis and research. New York: Taylor and Francis. p 161–175. , , , , , .
- 2003. A new program of assessment for a new medical program. Focus Health Prof Educ 5: 23–33. , .
- 2004. Reform of undergraduate medical teaching in the United Kingdom: a triumph of evangelism over common sense. BMJ 329: 92–94. , .