Dr. Terrell is an assistant professor and teaches human anatomy in the Division of Anatomy at The Ohio State University Medical Center. His research involves developing and empirically testing educational psychology-based instructional design principles to advance optimal learning environments in the anatomical and medical sciences.
Anatomy of learning: Instructional design principles for the anatomical sciences
Article first published online: 15 NOV 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record Part B: The New Anatomist
Volume 289B, Issue 6, pages 252–260, November 2006
How to Cite
Terrell, M. (2006), Anatomy of learning: Instructional design principles for the anatomical sciences. Anat. Rec., 289B: 252–260. doi: 10.1002/ar.b.20116
- Issue published online: 15 NOV 2006
- Article first published online: 15 NOV 2006
- 1986. Working memory. Oxford: Clarendon Press. .
- 1995. From teaching and learning: a new paradigm for undergraduate education. Change 27: 12–25. , .
- 1976. Implications of sustained and transient channels for theories of visual pattern, masking, saccadic suppression, and information processing. Psychol Rev 83: 1–36. , .
- 1978. Knowing when, where, and how to remember: a problem of metacognition. In: GlaserR, editor. Advances in instructional psychology, vol. 1. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. p 77–165. .
- 1983. Learning, remembering and understanding. In: MussenPH, editor. Handbook of child psychology, 4th ed. New York: Wiley. p 77–166. , , , .
- 1989. Situated cognition and the culture of learning. Educ Res 18: 32–41. , , .
- 1999. Cognitive psychology and instruction, 3rd ed. Hoboken, NJ: Prentice-Hall. , , .
- 1995. Feedback and self-regulated learning: a theoretical synthesis. Rev Educ Res 65: 245–282. , .
- 1991. Cognitive load theory and the format of instruction. Cogn Instruct 8: 293–332. , .
- 1987. Visual information processing. In: BoffKR, KaufmanL, ThomasJP, editors. Handbook of perception and human performance, vol. 2, information processing. New York: John Wiley and Sons. p 28: 1–28:60. .
- 1982. Expertise in problem solving. In: SternberR, editor. Advances in the psychology of human intelligence. Hillsdale, NJ: Earlbaum. p 7–75. , , .
- 1995. Attention and memory: an integrated framework. New York: Oxford University Press. .
- 1972. Levels of processing: a framework for memory research. J Verbal Behav 11: 671–684. , .
- 1995. Recent cognitive perspective on learning: implications for nurse education. Nurse Educ Today 15: 280–290. .
- 1996. Cognitive schema theory in the constructivist debate. Educ Psychol 31: 163–174. .
- 1987. Speculations about the nature and development of metacognition. In: WeinertFE, KluweRH. Metacognition, motivation, and understanding. Hillside, NJ: Erlbaum Associates. p 21–29. .
- 1985. The cognitive psychology of school learning. Boston: Little Brown. .
- 2001. Learning and instruction: theory into practice, 4th ed. Hoboken, NJ: Prentice-Hall. .
- 1992. Human memory: paradigms and paradoxes. Mahwah, NJ: Earlbaum. .
- 1996. Cognition and learning. In: BerlinerDC, CalfeeRC, editors. Handbook of educational psychology. New York: Simon and Schuster Macmillan. p 15–45. , , .
- 1997. Implications of cognitive research for ambulatory care education. Acad Med 72: 117–120. .
- 2003. Applying the science of learning to the university and beyond. Change 35: 36–41. , .
- 2000. Best evidence medical education (BEME): a plan for action. Med Teacher 22: 131–135. , .
- 1991. Fundamentals of learning and memory, 4th ed. San Diego, CA: Harcourt Brace. .
- 1993. From sage on the stage to guide on the side. Coll Teaching 41: 30––35. .
- 1990. Reasoning is (little more than) working-memory capacity. Intelligence 14: 389–433. , .
- 2002. Evaluation of teaching and learning strategies. Med Educ Online (http://www.med-ed-online.org). .
- 1985. Vision: the philosophy and the approach. In: AitkenheadAM, editor. Issues in cognitive modeling. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. p 26–61. .
- 2005. Theoretical eclecticism in the college classroom. Innov Higher Educ 30: 7–21. , .
- 1992. Cognition and instruction: their historic meeting within educational psychology. J Educ Psychol 84: 405–412. .
- 1996. Learners as information processors: legacies and limitations of educational psychology's second metaphor. Educ Psychol 31: 151–161. .
- 2005. Cognitive load theory and complex learning: recent developments and future directions. Educ Psychol Rev 17: 147–177. , .
- 1956. The magical number seven, plus or minus two: some limits on our capacity for processing information. Psychol Rev 63: 81–97. .
- 2002. From college to clinic: reasoning over memorization is key for understanding anatomy. Anat Rec (New Anat) 269B: 69–80. , , , , .
- 1995. Reducing cognitive load by mixing auditory and visual presentation modes. J Educ Psychol 87: 319–334. , , .
- 1995. Depth of information processing and memory for medical facts. Med Teacher 17: 307–314. , .
- 2004. Cognitive load theory: instructional implications of the interaction between information structures and cognitive architecture. Instruct Sci 32: 1–8. , , .
- 1987. Cognitive strategies: good strategies users coordinate metacognition and knowledge. In: VastaR, WhitehurstG, editors. Annals of child development, vol. 5. Greenwich, CT: JAI. p 89–129. , , .
- 1997. Introduction to memory development during childhood and adolescence. Mahwah, NJ: Earlbaum. , .
- 1998. Implication of results from cognitive science research for medical education. Med Educ Online (http://www.med-ed-online.org). .
- 1996. Issues in cognitive psychology: implications for professional education. Acad Med 71: 988–1001. , .
- 2002. The new face of gross anatomy. Anat Rec (New Anat) 269B: 81–88. , .
- ResnickL, editor. 1989. Knowing, learning and instruction: essays in honor of Robert Glaser. Hillside, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- 1992. Selective attention and prose learning: theoretical and empirical research. Educ Psychol Rev 4: 3–31. .
- 1992. Self-regulated learning: the interactive influence of metacognitive awareness and goal setting. J Exp Educ 60: 293–306. , , , .
- 1990. Apprenticeship in thinking: cognitive development in social context. New York: Oxford University Press. .
- 1991. Culture and cognitive development: studies in mathematical understanding. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Earlbaum Associates. .
- 1989. Memory development between 2 and 20. New York: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 1995. Metacognitive theories. Educ Psychol Rev 7: 351–371. , .
- 1998. Promoting general metacognitive awareness. Instruct Sci 26: 113–125. .
- 1986. Cognitive conceptions of learning. Rev Educ Res 56: 411–436. .
- 1960. The information available in brief visual presentations. Psychol Monogr 74: 1–29. .
- 1990. Concepts in developmental theories of reading skill: cognitive resources, automaticity, and modality. Dev Rev 10: 72–100. .
- 1999. New directions in learning and motivation. New York: Jossey-Bass. p 5–27 .
- 1990. Influence of metacognitive knowledge and aptitude on problem solving. J Educ Psychol 82: 306–314. .
- 1998. Cognitive architecture and instructional design. Educ Psychol Rev 10: 251–296. , , .
- 2004. Instructional design consequences of an analogy between evolution by natural selection and human cognitive architecture. Instruct Sci 32: 9–31. .
- 1999. The multidimensional learning model: a novel cognitive psychology-based model for computer assisted instruction in order to improve learning in medical students. Med Educ Online (http://www.med-ed-online.org). .
- 1988. Proficiency at academic studying. Cont Educ Psychol 13: 265–275. .
- 1906. The principles of teaching based on psychology. Syracuse, NY: Mason-Henry Press. .
- 2000. The need for evidence in education. Med Teacher 22: 246–250. , , .
- 1978. Mind in society: the development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. .
- 1992. Educational psychology's first century. J Educ Psychol 84: 6–19. , .
- 1996. Cognitive perspectives in psychology. In: JonassenDH, editor. Handbook of research for educational communications and technology. New York: Simon and Schuster Macmillan. p 112–142. , .
- 2001. Educational psychology, 8th ed. Boston: Allyn and Bacon. .
- 1991. The cognitive psychology of knowledge: basic research findings and educational implications. Aust J Educ 35: 131–153. , .