Physical activity levels among the general US adult population and in adults with and without arthritis
Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2003
Copyright © 2003 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 49, Issue 1, pages 129–135, 15 February 2003
How to Cite
Hootman, J. M., Macera, C. A., Ham, S. A., Helmick, C. G. and Sniezek, Joseph. E. (2003), Physical activity levels among the general US adult population and in adults with and without arthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 49: 129–135. doi: 10.1002/art.10911
- Issue online: 7 FEB 2003
- Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Received: 20 FEB 2002
- 3U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Physical activity and health: a report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion; 1996.
- 5American College of Sports Medicine. The American College of Sports Medicine position stand: the recommended quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cariorespiratory and muscular fitness, and flexibility in healthy adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1998; 30: 975–91.
- 6Public health surveillance of physical activity. Res Q Exerc Sport 2000; 71: 97–103., .
- 7Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Physical activity trends: United States, 1990–1998. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2001; 50: 166–9.
- 8Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence of arthritis: United States, 1997. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2001; 50: 334–6.
- 17Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence of leisure-time physical activity among persons with arthritis and other rheumatic conditions: United States, 1990–1991. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1997; 46: 389–93.
- 18Problems in the development and validation of questionnaire-based screening instruments for ascertaining cases with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis: the Framingham Study. Arthritis Rheum 2001; 44: 1105–13., , , , .
- 19Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010: objectives for improving health. 2nd edition. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 2000.