The opinions of this publication are those of the grantee and do not necessarily reflect those of the Department of Education or Department of Veterans Affairs.
Management of depression in rheumatoid arthritis: A combined pharmacologic and cognitive-behavioral approach†
Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2003 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 49, Issue 6, pages 766–777, 15 December 2003
How to Cite
Parker, J. C., Smarr, K. L., Slaughter, J. R., Johnston, S. K., Priesmeyer, M. L., Hanson, K. D., Johnson, G. E., Hewett, J. E., Hewett, J. E., Irvin, W. S., Komatireddy, G. R. and Walker, S. E. (2003), Management of depression in rheumatoid arthritis: A combined pharmacologic and cognitive-behavioral approach. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 49: 766–777. doi: 10.1002/art.11459
- Issue online: 8 DEC 2003
- Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2002
- Manuscript Received: 31 JAN 2002
- National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR) of the US Department of Education. Grant Number: #H133B30039
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Medical Research Service of the Department of Veterans Affairs
- 1Depression in the medically ill: an integrated approach New York: Brunner/Mazel; 1991., , .
- 2Depression in rheumatoid arthritis: aetiology and treatment. Int Rev Psychiatry 1992; 4: 23–34., .
- 8Depression Guideline Panel. Depression in primary care: volume 2. Treatment of major depression. Clinical practice guideline, number 5. Rockville (MD): U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service; 1993.
- 10User's guide for the structured clinical interview for DSM-III-R:SCID. Washington (DC): American Psychiatric Press, Inc; 1990., , , .
- 12Social class and mental illness. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 1958., .
- 13SchumacherRHJr, editor. Primer on the rheumatic diseases. 9 ed. Atlanta: Arthritis Foundation; 1988.
- 15Compliance with therapeutic regimens. Baltimore (MD): The Johns Hopkins University Press; 1976., .
- 21The Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression: a comprehensive review. J Operational Psychiatry 1979; 10: 149–65., .
- 24SCL-90-R administration, scoring & procedures manual-II. Towson (MD): Clinical Psychometric Research; 1983..
- 31Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Palo Alto (CA): Consulting Psychologists Press; 1983., , , , .
- 34Enhancing self-efficacy: a new approach to patient education. Arthritis Rheum 1986; 29 Suppl 9: S145..
- 36AIMS2 users guide. Boston: Boston University Arthritis Center; 1990., .
- 45Stress responses and the pathogenesis of arthritis. In: McCubbinJA, KaufmannPG, NemeroffCB, editors. Stress, neuropeptides and systemic disease. San Diego: Academic Press; 1991. p. 287–300., , , .