* Dr. Alfonse T. Masi, MD, DRPH: Cochairman, Subcommittee for Scleroderma Criteria, ARA; Gerald P. Rodnan, MD: Cochairman, Subcommittee for Scleroderma Criteria, ARA; Thomas A. Medsger, Jr., MD: Central Coordinator of the Scleroderma Criteria Cooperative Study; Roy D. Altman, MD; William A. D'Angelo, MD; James F. Fries, MD; E. Carwile LeRoy, MD; Allan B. Kirsner, MD; Allen H. MacKenzie, MD; Dennis J. McShane, MD; Allen R. Myers, MD; Gordon C. Sharp, MD.
Preliminary criteria for the classification of systemic sclerosis (scleroderma)
Article first published online: 11 DEC 2005
Copyright © 1980 American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 581–590, May 1980
How to Cite
Masi, A. T. and Subcommittee For Scleroderma Criteria of the American Rheumatism Association Diagnostic and Therapeutic Criteria Committee (1980), Preliminary criteria for the classification of systemic sclerosis (scleroderma). Arthritis & Rheumatism, 23: 581–590. doi: 10.1002/art.1780230510
- Issue published online: 11 DEC 2005
- Article first published online: 11 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 FEB 1980
- Manuscript Received: 21 JAN 1980
- NIAMDD. Grant Numbers: AM 12049, AM 14780, AM 18904, AM 21393, CRP-432
- NIH. Grant Numbers: RR-40, RR-48, RR-56, RR-82, RR-261
A multicenter, ongoing study of early-diagnosed cases of systemic sclerosis and comparison patients with systemic lupus erythematosus, polymyositis/dermatomyositis, and Raynaud's phenomenon was conducted in order to develop classification criteria for systemic sclerosis. Preliminary criteria are proposed, namely, the finding of either the sole major criterion, i.e.,1) sclerodactyly, 2) digital pitting scars of fingertips or loss of substance of the distal finger pad, and 3) bilateral basilar pulmonary fibrosis. When applied to the case and comparison patients included in this study, these proposed criteria had a 97% sensitivity for definite systemic sclerosis and 98% specificity.