Managing arthritis and employment: Making arthritis-related work changes as a means of adaptation
Article first published online: 8 DEC 2004
Copyright © 2004 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 51, Issue 6, pages 909–916, 15 December 2004
How to Cite
Gignac, M. A. M., Badley, E. M., Lacaille, D., Cott, C. C., Adam, P. and Anis, A. H. (2004), Managing arthritis and employment: Making arthritis-related work changes as a means of adaptation. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 51: 909–916. doi: 10.1002/art.20822
- Issue published online: 8 DEC 2004
- Article first published online: 8 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAR 2003
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Grant Number: MOP–49532
- Canadian Arthritis Network, a Networks of Centres of Excellence
- Ontario Ministry of Health, Health System-Linked grant to the Arthritis Community Research and Evaluation Unit
- 1Some thoughts about stress and the work situation. In: Levi L, editor. Society, stress, and disease. Vol. 4: working life. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1981: p. 54–8..
- 3Developmental tasks and education. 3rd ed. New York: Davis McKay; 1972..
- 5Making vocational choices: a theory of vocational personalities and work environments. 2nd ed. Englewood Cliffs (NJ): Prentice-Hall; 1985..
- 7National study of the changing work force. New York: Families and Work Institute; 1993..
- 12Health effects of involuntary job loss among older workers: findings from the health and retirement survey. J Gerontol B Soc Sci 2000; 55B: S131–40., , , .
- 18The effect of arthritis on working life expectancy. J Rheumatol 2000; 28: 2315–9., .
- 24Work related factors that determine risk of work disability (WD) in RA. J Rheumatol 2000; 27 Suppl: 1809., , , .
- 33Psychological perspectives on successful aging: the model of selective optimization with compensation. In: Baltes PB, Baltes MM, editors. Successful aging: perspectives from the behavioral sciences. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1990. p. 1–34., .
- 36Adjustment to threatening events: a theory of cognitive adaptation. Am Psychol 1983; 38: 1161–73..
- 37Stress, appraisal, and coping. New York: Springer; 1984., .
- 38Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior: an introduction to theory and research. Reading (MA): Addison-Wesley; 1975., .
- 39The health belief model and personal health behavior. Health Educ Monthly 1974; 2: 324–473..
- 42Self-efficacy and healthy behavior: prevention, promotion, and detection. In: Maddux JE, editor. Self-efficacy, adaptation, and adjustment: theory, research, and application. New York: Plenum Press; 1995., , .
- 46The CES-D scale: a self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Appl Psychol Measurement 1977; 1: 385–401..
- 47Canadian Aging Research Network (CARNET). Work and family: the survey findings. Guelph, Ontario: Gerontology Research Centre; 1993.
- 48Applied regression analysis and other multivariate methods. Boston: PWS-Kent; 1988., , .
- 49Using multivariate statistics. 3rd ed. New York: Harper Collins; 1996., .