Physical self perceptions of women with rheumatoid arthritis
Article first published online: 8 DEC 2004
Copyright © 2004 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 51, Issue 6, pages 958–963, 15 December 2004
How to Cite
MacSween, A., Brydson, G. and Fox, K. R. (2004), Physical self perceptions of women with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 51: 958–963. doi: 10.1002/art.20830
- Issue published online: 8 DEC 2004
- Article first published online: 8 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 APR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 11 FEB 2004
- 1The new science: self-esteem psychology. Lanham (MD): University Press of America; 1984..
- 2Theoretical perspectives on the structure of self-concept. In: BrackenBA, editor. Handbook of self-concept. New York: Wiley; 1996. p. 38–9., .
- 3Manual for the Adult Self-Perception Profile. Denver (CO): University of Denver; 1986., .
- 4Self-Description Questionnaire III: manual. Sydney: Publication Unit Faculty of Education University of Western Sydney; 1992..
- 5The physical self and processes in self-esteem development. In: FoxKR, editor. The physical self: from motivation to well-being. Champaign (IL): Human Kinetics; 1997. p. 111–39..
- 6The Physical Self-Perception Profile: development and preliminary validation. J Sport Exerc Psychol 1989; 11: 408–30., .
- 7Physical self-description questionnaire: psychometric properties and a multi-trait multi-method analysis of relations to existing instruments. J Sport Exerc Psychol 1994; 16: 270–305., , , , .
- 8The Physical Self-Perception Profile manual. DeKalb (IL): Office for Health Promotion, Northern Illinois University; 1990..
- 11Processes underlying the construction, maintenance and enhancement of the self-concept in children. In: SulsJ, GreenwaldAG, editors. Psychological perspectives on the self, volume 3. Hillsdale (NJ): Erlbaum; 1986. p. 137–81..
- 12Causes, correlates, and the functional role of global self-worth: a life-span perspective. In: SternbergRJ, KolligianKJr, editors. Competence considered. New Haven (CT): Yale University; 1990. p. 67–97..
- 13Importance ratings and specific components of physical self-concept: relevance to predicting global components of self-concept and exercise. J Sport Exerc Psychol 1995; 17: 84–104., .
- 16An investigation of the efficacy of a hydrotherapy and land based aerobic exercise programme for female rheumatoid arthritis patients [dissertation]. Glasgow: Glasgow Caledonian University; 2003..
- 18The EULAR handbook of standard methods, assessing disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis. Vienna: European League Against Rheumatism; 1993., , , .
- 22A preliminary validation of the 10m incremental shuttle walk test as a measure of aerobic fitness in female rheumatoid arthritis patients. Physiotherapy 2001; 87: 38–44., , , .
- 25The effects of exercise on self-perceptions and self-esteem. In: BiddleSJH, FoxKR, BoutcherSH, editors. Physical activity and psychological well-being. London: Routledge; 2000..