Ms Chang and Ms Mahajan have received research fellowships from Novartis. Dr. Jordan has received consulting fees of more than $10,000 from GlaxoSmithKline. Dr. Vail owns stock in Johnson & Johnson. Mr. Kahler has stock options with Novartis. Dr. Schulman has received consulting fees of less than $10,000 from Novartis.
Impact of disease severity and gastrointestinal side effects on the health state preferences of patients with osteoarthritis
Article first published online: 28 JUL 2005
Copyright © 2005 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 52, Issue 8, pages 2366–2375, August 2005
How to Cite
Chang, J., Kauf, T. L., Mahajan, S., Jordan, J. M., Kraus, V. B., Vail, T. P., Reed, S. D., Omar, M. A., Kahler, K. H. and Schulman, K. A. (2005), Impact of disease severity and gastrointestinal side effects on the health state preferences of patients with osteoarthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 52: 2366–2375. doi: 10.1002/art.21227
- Issue published online: 28 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 28 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Received: 19 FEB 2005
- Duke University Medical Center
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
- 1Prevalence of disabilities and associated health conditions among adults: United States, 1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2001; 50: 120–5..
- 2Prevalence of self-reported arthritis or chronic joint symptoms among adults: United States, 2001. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2002; 51: 948–50..
- 3Chronic disease epidemiology and control. Washington, DC: American Public Health Association; 1998., , .
- 4Public health and aging: projected prevalence of self-reported arthritis or chronic joint symptoms among persons aged >65 years: United States, 2005-2030. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2003; 52: 489–91..
- 9Tilden DP, Schulz M, Davey P, Noble I. A utility valuation study assessing treatment outcomes in osteoarthritis. International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 8th International Meeting; 2003 May 18–21; Arlington, VA.
- 10Cost Effectiveness in Health and Medicine. New York: Oxford University Press; 1996..
- 15Chang J, Kauf T, Reed S, Friedman J, Omar M, Kahler K, et al. Productivity loss as an indicator of unmet needs for osteoarthritis patients. American College of Rheumatology/Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals 67th Annual Scientific Meeting; 2003 October 24–28; Orlando, FL.
- 16Chang J, Weinfurt K, Kauf TL, Curtis LH, Reed SD, Friedman JY, et al. Quantitative and qualitative effects of test accuracy on willingness to pay. 25th Annual Meeting of the Society for Medical Decision Making; 2003 October 19–22; Chicago, IL.
- 19EULAR Recommendations 2003: an evidence based approach to the management of knee osteoarthritis: report of a task force of the Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutic Trials (ESCISIT). Ann Rheum Dis 2003; 62: 1145–55., , , , , , et al.
- 23Preferences for health outcomes and cost-utility analysis. Am J Manag Care 1997; 3Suppl:S8–20..
- 28Gallagher EJ, Bijur PE, Latimer C, Silver W. Reliability and validity of a visual analog scale for acute abdominal pain in the ED. Am J Emerg Med 2002;20: 287–90.
- 35Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Medical expenditure panel survey. URL: http://www.meps.ahrq.gov/whatis.htm.
- 38Harris Interactive. An interview with our panel expert. URL: http://www.harrisinteractive.com/tech/HI_Panel_Overview.pdf.