Dr. Schnitzer has served as a consultant to AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, McNeil Consumer, Merck, and Norvartis; has received clinical research support from AstraZeneca, Merck, Novartis; and is on the Speakers' Bureau for Merck and Ortho-McNeil. Dr. Balshaw is affiliated with Syreon, Inc., a research organization contracted to assist with the analysis presented in this manuscript, and has received consulting fees <$10,000.
Need for common internal controls when assessing the relative efficacy of pharmacologic agents using a meta-analytic approach: Case study of cyclooxygenase 2–selective inhibitors for the treatment of osteoarthritis
Version of Record online: 4 AUG 2005
Copyright © 2005 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 53, Issue 4, pages 510–518, 15 August 2005
How to Cite
Lee, C., Hunsche, E., Balshaw, R., Kong, S. X. and Schnitzer, T. J. (2005), Need for common internal controls when assessing the relative efficacy of pharmacologic agents using a meta-analytic approach: Case study of cyclooxygenase 2–selective inhibitors for the treatment of osteoarthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 53: 510–518. doi: 10.1002/art.21328
- Issue online: 4 AUG 2005
- Version of Record online: 4 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Received: 24 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 MAR 2005
- NIH. Grant Numbers: T32-AR-07611, K12-RR-017707
- 9North of England Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug Guideline Development Group. North of England evidence based guideline development project: summary guideline for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs versus basic analgesia in treating the pain of degenerative arthritis. BMJ 1998; 317: 526–30., , , and the
- 13Comparing the efficacy of cyclooxygenase 2–specific inhibitors in treating osteoarthritis: appropriate trial design considerations and results of a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 48: 3102–11., , , .
- 18US Food and Drug Administration website. URL: http://www.fda.gov/oc/gcp/guidance.html.
- 21Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale (NJ): Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1988..
- 23Treatment with etoricoxib, a COX-2 selective inhibitor, resulted in clinical improvement in knee and hip osteoarthritis (OA) over 52 weeks. Arthritis Rheum 2001; 44: S135., , , , , , et al.
- 27Functional status and health-related quality of life of elderly osteoarthritic patients treated with celecoxib. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2001; 56: 167–75., , , , .
- 39International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceutical for Human Use. ICH harmonized tripartite guideline choice of control group and related issues in clinical trials E10. 2000. URL: http://www.Ich.org/MediaServer.jser?@_ID=435&@_MODE=GLB.
- 42WOMAC Osteoarthritis index: a user's guide. London: London Health Sciences Center; 1998..
- 43Practical guidelines for assessing the clinical significance of health-related quality of life changes in clinical trials. Clin Trials 2003; 1: 23–31., , , .