Dr. Breedveld has received consulting fees or honoraria (less than $10,000 per year) from Centocor, Schering-Plough, Amgen/Wyeth, and Abbott. Dr. Weisman has received consulting fees or honoraria (less than $10,000 per year) from Abbott, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Centocor, Amgen/Wyeth, Roche, Human Genome Sciences, Elan/Biogen, Regeneron, and Genentech. Dr. Kavanaugh has performed clinical studies for Abbott, Amgen, Centocor, Biogen-Idec, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and Genentech. Dr. Cohen has received consulting fees or honoraria (less than $10,000 per year) from Abbott, Genentech, Biogen IDEC, Scios, Amgen, Sanofi-Aventis, Chelsea Therapeutics, and Xencor. Dr. van Vollenhoven has received consulting fees or honoraria (less than $10,000 per year) from Abbott, Centocor, Schering-Plough, and Wyeth. Dr. Sharp has received consulting fees or honoraria (more than $10,000 per year) from Abbott, Amgen, Aventis, Centocor, Fujisawa, and Wyeth and consulting fees or honoraria (less than $10,000 per year) from Bristol-Myers Squibb and Schering. Dr. Perez is a member of Abbott's stock retirement plan. Dr. Spencer-Green owns stock in Abbott.
The PREMIER study: A multicenter, randomized, double-blind clinical trial of combination therapy with adalimumab plus methotrexate versus methotrexate alone or adalimumab alone in patients with early, aggressive rheumatoid arthritis who had not had previous methotrexate treatment
Version of Record online: 29 DEC 2005
Copyright © 2006 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 54, Issue 1, pages 26–37, January 2006
How to Cite
Breedveld, F. C., Weisman, M. H., Kavanaugh, A. F., Cohen, S. B., Pavelka, K., Vollenhoven, R. v., Sharp, J., Perez, J. L. and Spencer-Green, G. T. (2006), The PREMIER study: A multicenter, randomized, double-blind clinical trial of combination therapy with adalimumab plus methotrexate versus methotrexate alone or adalimumab alone in patients with early, aggressive rheumatoid arthritis who had not had previous methotrexate treatment. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 54: 26–37. doi: 10.1002/art.21519
- Issue online: 29 DEC 2005
- Version of Record online: 29 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 SEP 2005
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAR 2005
- Abbott Laboratories
- 16Sensitivity to change of the Health Assessment Questionnaire (HAQ) and other clinical and health status measures in rheumatoid arthritis: results of short-term clinical trials and observational studies versus long-term observational studies. Arthritis Care Res 1992; 5: 130–6., .
- 19An index of the three core data set patient questionnaire measures distinguishes efficacy of active treatment from that of placebo as effectively as the American College of Rheumatology 20% response criteria (ACR20) or the Disease Activity Score (DAS) in a rheumatoid arthritis clinical trial. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 48: 625–30., , , , , , et al.
- 28Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine, methotrexate and sulfasalazine, or a combination of the three medications: results of a two-year, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum 2002; 46: 1164–70., , , , , , et al.
- 38Radiographic, clinical, and functional outcomes of treatment with adalimumab (a human anti–tumor necrosis factor monoclonal antibody) in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis receiving concomitant methotrexate therapy: a randomized, placebo-controlled, 52-week trial. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50: 1400–11., , , , , , et al.
- 41Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for industry clinical development programs for drugs, devices, and biological products for thetreatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). URL: http://www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/1208fnl.pdf.
- 48Demyelinating and neurologic events reported in association with tumor necrosis factor α antagonism: by what mechanisms could tumor necrosis factor α antagonists improve rheumatoid arthritis but exacerbate multiple sclerosis? [review]. Arthritis Rheum 2001; 44: 1977–83., , .
- 49Effects of etanercept (ENBREL) in patients with chronic heart failure: results of RENAISSANCE and RECOVER trials [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2002; 46 Suppl 9: S520., , , , .
- 61Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Tuberculosis associated with blocking agents against tumor necrosis factor-α—California, 2002–2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2004; 53: 683–6.