Dr. Rahme has received grants from, and has served as a consultant to, Merck & Co., Inc., the previous manufacturer of rofecoxib, and Pfizer, Inc., the manufacturer of celecoxib. On September 30, 2004, Merck & Co., Inc., announced the voluntary worldwide withdrawal of rofecoxib from the market.
Retrospective analysis of utilization patterns and cost implications of coxibs among seniors in Quebec, Canada: What is the potential impact of the withdrawal of rofecoxib?†
Article first published online: 6 FEB 2006
Copyright © 2006 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 55, Issue 1, pages 27–34, 15 February 2006
How to Cite
Rahme, E., Hunsche, E., Toubouti, Y. and Chabot, I. (2006), Retrospective analysis of utilization patterns and cost implications of coxibs among seniors in Quebec, Canada: What is the potential impact of the withdrawal of rofecoxib?. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 55: 27–34. doi: 10.1002/art.21696
This article was prepared with the assistance of BioMedCom Consultants Inc., Montreal, Canada.
- Issue published online: 6 FEB 2006
- Article first published online: 6 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Received: 13 DEC 2004
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- 2Health Canada. Arthritis in Canada: an ongoing challenge. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Health Canada; 2003. Report No.: Cat # H39-4/14-2003 E.
- 6An evidence-based approach to prescribing NSAIDs in the treatment of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis: The Second Canadian Consensus Conference. Can J Clin Pharmacol 2000; 7 Suppl A: 4A–16A., , , .
- 8EULAR Recommendations 2003: an evidence based approach to the management of knee osteoarthritis: Report of a Task Force of the Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutic Trials (ESCISIT). Ann Rheum Dis 2003; 62: 1145–55., , , , , , et al.
- 16Guidelines for the appropriate use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, cyclo-oxygenase-2-specific inhibitors and proton pump inhibitors in patients requiring chronic anti-inflammatory therapy. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004; 19: 197–208., , , .
- 21Persistence with COX-2 inhibitors in managed care: an analysis of claims data. Manag Care Interface 2003; 16: 38–45., .
- 22Persistency of use of COX-2-specific inhibitors and non-specific non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in Quebec. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2003; 42 Suppl 3: iii17–22., , , .
- 27ICD9.CM Millenium Edition: International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification, 6th ed. Los Angeles: Practice Management Information Corporation; 2003.
- 28Applied linear statistical models: regression, analysis of variance, and experimental designs. 3rd ed. Homewood (IL): Irwin; 1990., , .
- 31Use patterns and costs of rofecoxib and celecoxib in the management of arthritis based on national pharmacy data in Norway. Presented at the Annual European Congress of Rheumatology, Berlin, Germany., , , , .
- 32SchnellBR, GinAS, GrymonpreR, MacCannellK, McLeodPJ, PattersonCJ, et al, editors. CPS: Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Canadian Pharmacists Association; 2001. 36th ed.
- 34Interpreting epidemiologic evidence: strategies for study design and analysis. 2003 ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2003.
- 35Therapy switching and associated costs in patients on selective cox-2 inhibitors and nonselective NSAIDs in an elderly population in Quebec, Canada. Presented at the Annual European Congress of Rheumatology, June 9–12, 2004, Berlin, Germany., , , .
- 38COX-2-selective inhibitors and the risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in high-risk patients with previous gastrointestinal diseases: a population-based case-control study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004; 19: 817–25., , , , , , et al.
- 48US Food and Drug Administration). Memorandum: analysis and recommendations for agency action regarding non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and cardiovascular risk. Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. URL: http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/COX2/NSAIDdecisionMemo.pdf., (