Dr. van der Heijde has received research support from, or is a consultant for, Abbott, Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Centocor, Merck, Schering-Plough, and Wyeth. Dr. Schiff has received grant/research support from, is on the Speaker's Bureau of, or is a consultant for, Abbott, Amgen, Aventis, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Centocor, Merck, Novartis, Roche, and Wyeth-Ayerst. Drs. Dijkmans and Dougados have received consulting fees from Abbott. Drs. Wong and Kupper hold stock options as a benefit of their employment with Abbott. Dr. Davis has received research support from, or is a consultant for, Abbott, Amgen, and Centocor.
Efficacy and safety of adalimumab in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: Results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
Article first published online: 26 JUN 2006
Copyright © 2006 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 54, Issue 7, pages 2136–2146, July 2006
How to Cite
van der Heijde, D., Kivitz, A., Schiff, M. H., Sieper, J., Dijkmans, B. A. C., Braun, J., Dougados, M., Reveille, J. D., Wong, R. L., Kupper, H. and Davis, J. C. (2006), Efficacy and safety of adalimumab in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: Results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 54: 2136–2146. doi: 10.1002/art.21913
- Issue published online: 27 JUN 2006
- Article first published online: 26 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 19 DEC 2005
- Abbott Laboratories, Abbott Park, IL
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- 1Ankylosing spondylitis. In: RakelRE, BopeET, editors. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2001. p. 1021–3..
- 7The comparative effectiveness of tumor necrosis factor–blocking agents in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and patients with ankylosing spondylitis: a six-month, longitudinal, observational, multicenter study. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52: 2506–12., , , , , , et al.
- 17Ankylosing Spondylitis Study for the Evaluation of Recombinant Infliximab Therapy Study Group. Efficacy and safety of infliximab in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: results of a randomized, placebo-controlled trial (ASSERT). Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52: 582–91., , , , , , et al, for the
- 21Adalimumab, a fully human anti tumor necrosis factor-α monoclonal antibody, and concomitant standard antirheumatic therapy for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: results of STAR (Safety Trial of Adalimumab in Rheumatoid Arthritis). J Rheumatol 2003; 30: 2563–71., , , , , , et al.
- 22Adalimumab, a fully human anti–tumor necrosis factor α monoclonal antibody, for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis in patients taking concomitant methotrexate: the ARMADA trial [published erratum appears in Arthritis Rheum 2003;48:855]. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 48: 35–45., , , , , , et al.
- 23Radiographic, clinical, and functional outcomes of treatment with adalimumab (a human anti–tumor necrosis factor monoclonal antibody) in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis receiving concomitant methotrexate therapy: a randomized, placebo-controlled, 52-week trial. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50: 1400–11., , , , , , et al.
- 25ADEPT Study Group. Adalimumab for the treatment of patients with moderately to severely active psoriatic arthritis: results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52: 3279–89., , , , , , et al, for the
- 28Rates of infection in adalimumab rheumatoid arthritis clinical trials [abstract]. Ann Rheum Dis 2003; 62 Suppl I: 184., , , , , .
- 29Malignancies in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) clinical trials with adalimumab (HUMIRA) [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 48 Suppl 9: S700., , , .
- 41Magnetic resonance imaging examinations of the spine in patients with ankylosing spondylitis before and after therapy with the tumor necrosis factor α receptor fusion protein etanercept. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52: 1216–23., , , .
- 44Sustained benefits of infliximab therapy for dermatologic and articular manifestations of psoriatic arthritis: results from the Infliximab Multinational Psoriatic Arthritis Controlled Trial (IMPACT). Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52: 1227–36., , , , , , et al.
- 47Efficacy and safety of tumor necrosis factor antagonists in Crohn's disease: overview of randomized clinical studies. Rev Gastroenterol Disord 2004; 4 Suppl 3: S18–24..
- 48Injection-site reactions in adalimumab rheumatoid arthritis (RA) pivotal clinical trials [abstract]. Ann Rheum Dis 2003; 62 Suppl I: 411., , , .